Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I've been gradually becoming a "Ford Man" since my teens, though I don't think it really hit until I got my '95 4.6l Tbird in my mid-Twenties. I loved that car immensely from the day I bought it (STOLE it as a program car with 9k miles in late 95), and would have kept it forever if not for its untimely death this past December, just MONTHS before being paid off. I always looked at a Mustang as somewhat out of reach, and more performance than I'd be fortunate enough to own for a couple more decades. However, a recent trip to my Dad's house (he works for Ford), and a drive in his V6 Mustang demo got me thinking.

I was truly quite impressed with the 6 compared to what I had expected, and the interior got me feeling quite nostalgic about my 'Bird. (You might be surprised at how similar they are inside, just bigger.) As we got to talking, I threw all caution to the wind regarding waiting another year or so to jump into a car loan again, and really started to consider seeing if he could put me into a GT. (even though I liked the 6, I couldn't see buying a Mustang that wasn't an 8 )

The moment the words "Bullitt Edition" came out of his mouth, I knew that I would have to have one if it were humanly possible, having seen the movie a couple of times with my father as a kid, and the infamous chase scene several more times since then. Not only that, my future plans for the 'Bird had included Torq-thrust rims and somewhat of a retro approach.

He put the deal together as I left to come back home this past Monday (7 hours away), and I have been in a relentless state of 5-year-old-on-Christmas-Eve-like anticipation ever since. It may just kill me before I go down to get the car next Thursday.

I've been lurking this and other boards the past few days, just to get a Bullitt-fix, and when he called today to tell me my number (1934), I thought I'd go ahead and register and say hi to you all. So Hi! And thanks for the entertaining/educational reading!

I do have a few questions if you don't mind, and they aren't all Bullitt specific. I planned to keep the T-bird forever, but I don't think I started treating it like a car I wanted to keep forever until I had had it about 3 years. I want to get off on the right foot with the Bullitt, which I will also plan on keeping forever, and some of you more seasoned car buffs might be able to give me some advice.

What finish products are considered to be truly good and not just hype? I'd figure that most car-wash specific detergents would be good, but I'm sure there are definite DO buy/DON'T buy recommendations regarding waxes. Any suggestions? Any non-obvious cautions about washing and waxing of the Bullitt or keeper-cars in general? How are the CLOTH automatic washes regarded in a pinch? (not every time)

I've read most of the complaints people have had with their cars that have been posted here, and I did ask them to check the tranny mount bolts, and to undercoat it without spraying the engine compartment. (I live in PA, I figured undercoating was good insurance.) I've not been able to inspect the finish, but my father is a perfectionist, so I'm sure he'll notice any blemishes before I even get down there. I'll check seat position, dashboard fit when I get there. Any other common issues that I've missed?

There seems to be some controversy about the 5w-20 oil. Whats the generally accepted opinion regarding 5w20, synthetic, and when to switch? I ran Castrol Syntec in the 'bird, are there strong opinions otherwise? Likely warranty issues with oil other than 5w20? What do you think of Slick 50 (or similar), and should a break in period be allowed before using it?

I'm sure I'll want to hit the track at some point, though I plan few if any mods. I only currently see a Densecharger, gears (maybe) and Tri-Ax (maybe) in my future. Only the Densecharger would be less than 2 years away. However, I've just never been to the track. What's the atmosphere like at a track for someone who has never been there? Will I be welcomed or scoffed at by the race seasoned? If nothing else, I think it would be nice to just get my launch worked down to as close to perfect as I'm capable, and I'm sure that would be the place to learn, but I'd honestly be pretty intimidated rolling up for the first time. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading my ramble and for any info you may share... Oh, and a few more gushing accounts of how much you like to drive your cars would be great to read! :smile:

Joe

DHG-1934 (coming soon)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-07-14 02:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey DHG#1934,
Welcome to the Clan. I know all about that 5 year old Christmas Eve feeling. It gets better! I get this rush of adrenaline everytime I walk out to the garage just knowing whats parked in there. Life is good!

As far as finishing products go its pretty much your choice. There are a number of good products out there. I perfer using Mothers wax( use baby diaper to put on and remove) and Armor All Car Wash. I wash my car and truck once a week and you should only wax your car 2 to 4 times a year depending on the climate where you live. Mothers also has a Instant Spray Detailer. Helps keep the car clean and gives it that just waxed look between washes. I use a sheeps wool washing mit. Its gentle and won't scratch the finish as long as ya don't drop it. You can clean it in the washer too. I use a chamois to dry with. I personally would never go to an automatic car wash. Can't help ya with the leather interior. This is my first car with leather. Right now I use a damp soft cloth(diaper) to wipe it down. Maybe a fellow BullittHead can give us both that info.

I don't use a synthetic oil myself. Too expensive and once you use it you can't change. I like Penzoil, have used it in all my vehicles except my bikes. Never had a problem. Whatever you use make sure it is a good grade oil and the correct viscosity. I don't beleive in using oil additives. No proof that they do what they claim. Just a waste of money in my opinion. Keep up your scheduled maintenance, don't be abusive, treat her like shes your baby and she'll last ya for years and years.

As far as complaints, Well I have none. I freaking love this car! Its such a gas to drive and I get a kick from all the head turning and envious looks from others. Its the same feeling you get when you walk into some place and you have this drop dead gorgeous lady on your arm and you say to yourself " That's right fellas look all ya want but she's going home with ME!"

As far as mods go, I have ordered a few goodies from MGW to trick out my interior. I'm going to wait for the next year or so to see what performance goodies are developed. I'm sure there will be plenty.

Never been to the track with the car but have raced my bikes( dirt and street) and have had nothing but fun. Everyone has always been helpful with tips and the comradery is unbelievable. It is a little intimidating at first but that soon goes away cause you are having to much damn fun!

Hope I have helped ya a little. Bottom line is do what you feel is right and what YOU like.

"You were born a point A, You'll die at point B... KICK MAXIMUM ASS!!!"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can't help you much with things to look for (mine as far as I can tell has no defects), and I've never been down on the track, only a spectator.

However, I have a fair knowledge about waxes. AVOID ALL SILICONE based products suck as dura-shine and other "miricle" type paint treatments. I've heard great things about the Zainer brothers products, and I'm considering trying them out shortly, but I have $60 worth of Meguires products that I want to use first. Just make sure that you use pure carnuba wax, personally I like Meguires and Mothers. For the black trim pieces like the mirrors and vent intake next to the wipers, I like this product called black chrome, it works well.

Just be aware that the DHG spots really easy..I wash mine just before sunset and it helps.

good luck!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, and one more question I forgot to ask...

Engine break in: I've heard 3 different things from various people: Baby it X000 miles, run it hard X000 miles, and run it just how you always will right from the start. What's commonly seen as truth?

Thanks again!

Joe

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome to the world of the BULLITT! Your father made an excellent choice when he recommeneded it.Where in PA do you live? There are a couple of us in the Commonwealth, that we know of, and would like to find out how many more there are? I know of one fellow from the Allentown area and I am from Williamsport.

I use Castrol 5W-30W synthetic and have used synthetic for years. The main advantage of synthetic that I am aware of is that its viscocity never changes and therefore cold engine starts are much better with respect to getting the oil to where it has to be. The hardest thing on an engine is the old "cold start". I have seen several engines that have been torn down for one reason or another that have had over 100K miles on them that used synthetic oil; and the internal parts and the engine itself were as clean as the day the engine was assembled. So...... you can't go wrong using it and Castrol, very often, offers $12.00 rebates on oil changes using the synthetic and after the rebate, the cost is right down there with non-synthetic oil.

Break in the engine using common sense, but don't be afraid to "make it work".

Good luck with your new Bullitt!

John Norton
DHG#910

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Allentown as well; I'll be picking up #1934 from Hampton, VA. I saw a TB one on the road 2 days ago in South Allentown near Emmaus. It would be fun to get together. I had a great ride down I-80 West-East with a Porsche that I picked up as a partner during a long road trip while I had the Thunderbird. We swam through the turns at (mildly) excessive speeds, and it was beautiful to be part of even a 2 person group carving through the curves and traffic. A group of Bullitts would be a great sight, and it would undoubtedly be quite fun.

Glad to hear getting on it a bit is OK when new. We (G/F and I) are taking a train down to get it, and driving back up via Rt 13 and 95. Should be quite the fun ride if it's sunny that day. (PRAYING for sun!)

Joe

·
Registered
351 Posts
DHG-1934, WELCOME TO THE BULLITTHEAD CLUB! The excitement keeps building like a speeding bullitt,and once you hear the bullitt roar, you will know that life is good. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Break in perionds.. Well what seems to be the general consensus from most people and some Ford guys we've had talk to us is to Run it like you're going to drive it. "If you baby your car you'll end up with a baby of a car" I believe was one of the quotes. Avoid prolonged constant RPM's for the first 500 miles and just keep it off the rev limiter for that amount of time as well. I drove the hell out of my car when I first got it.. Almost all of it side roads, stoplight to stoplight and a whole lot of "Getting to the next light as quickly as humanly possible". My car feels much stronger than it first did new. As for the oil.. I'm using 5-20 like Ford reccomends for the first few oil changes, then I'm going synthetic. Everyone has very posititve things to say about it and, like anything else, you're protecting an investment. If you want this car around for a long time you should take the best possible care of it that you can. Even a synthetic oil that costs 5 times more than conventional oil is a negligible cost when you look at the "Big Picture". It never fails to amaze me that there are people that will seriously balk at the cost of synthetic oil but yet have no trouble coming up with the 4+ thousand dollars for a Supercharger, or put soft compound tires on their cars that only last 12000 miles for twice the cost of regular hard tires. Put it all in perspective and ask yourself.. is it worth it to you?
As for the Waxes.. I use 3M's professional line almost exclusively. My neighbor has a GTA with a $14,000 paint job that was sponsored by DuPont and that's all he'll use on his car and it looks perfect.
At any rate.. Welcome to the club my friend and here's to many, MANY fun miles in your new toy!! :smile:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!!! Your going to love your Bullitt!!!!! I won't belabor this post with more info about your questions, because my Bullitt head buddies have said it all!!!!! What a great car to have such a following!!!!! If you have time in Hampton Va. While picking up your car. Come on over to the other side of the water to Virginia Beach and we'll do pictures of your new toy and 1007. Theres some great seafood places around hear.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will probably be somewhat of a whirlwind trip, but thanks for the offer! (arrive on train at 6pm, papers signed car picked up by 8 or 9 pm, leaving the next morning about 7 or 8 am to drive back) However, I'm sure I'll be back with more time to spare in the near future.

I'm actually very familiar with the area; I grew up in Virginia Beach. (Kellam High Class of '89) Thanks for the invite even if we don't get together this time around.

Joe

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll give an opion on the 'slick50' question.Bought my '94 F150 MarkIII brand new with 250 miles on it, at 15k miles I added a quart of slick 50 to the oil and at every 15k miles after that, at 178k miles my oil pump went south, drove the truck about 5 miles without any pressure at all. Got to the local dealer and checked the oil and it was as dry as a bone left out in the sun. Had the oil pump replaced, just knowing that the engine was shot, the mech that replaced the pump said that there was no damage to the bearings or the jonials,and at 185k mile Ican't see any difference inthe power or oil comsumtion. Do I belive in it, the answer is YES. Haven't made up my mine yet weather I'll use it in the Bullitt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts