Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Lighting guy comes to the rescue once again...

00lightning said:
I've noticed that when I turn on the headlights, they come on real bright and then dim substantially. Even on high beam, they are not as bright. Is this typical of HID lights? Also, are all HID bulbs then same in terms of wattage? Thanks.

Yes, this is normal behavior for HID lighting. HID lamps fire up with an initial "flash" (high starting voltage), then it takes several minutes to warm up to full brightness (up to operating voltage level). Our HID lighting only takes about 30 seconds or so to warm up, which is very quick for this type of lighting. I first saw this technology for automobiles displayed at the Philips Lighting Center in Somerset, NJ back in 1993. The two challanges that had to be overcome was lamp warm up time and filament vibration failure. You can see that it took about 10 years for that to happen. The metal halide lamp puts out more lumens and has a higher color temperature than the traditional incandescent lamp, so visibilty should appear to be better. The metal halide lamp has a much longer life than incandescent, although you do have additional components that could potentially fail such as the electronic ballast. As far as wattage goes, there are different metal halide lamp wattages with various lumen, color temperature, and lamp life options, but our HID system ballast can probably only take that one replacement lamp wattage and lamp base. All you can do is compare manufacturers lumen ratings to choose the highest one (if our lamps are even made by muliple manufacturers).

I hope this helps. :smile:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks Ken, I have the HID lights and know exactly what you are talking about Gilbert. I have to say that I was skeptical at first about ordering these lights but having used them now I think they are outstanding compared to regular lights IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
hickdaddy71 said:
Thanks Ken, I have the HID lights and know exactly what you are talking about Gilbert. I have to say that I was skeptical at first about ordering these lights but having used them now I think they are outstanding compared to regular lights IMO.

Yeah, knowing what I know about lighting I debated about getting the HID headlamps too. I knew the quality of light would be better, but the extra hardware involved is something else to break. Since we don't have fog lamps, I opted for the HID. If you don't have any problems in the first year, they will probably last a very long time. My advice is to only use them when needed, and avoid flashing the high beams; that clunky relay sound is annoying too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Haven't tried the highbeams yet, seem to be getting plenty of light from the HID's. Guess I won't use them unless I absolutely have too. thanks for the heads up :)

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
hickdaddy71 said:
Haven't tried the highbeams yet, seem to be getting plenty of light from the HID's. Guess I won't use them unless I absolutely have too. thanks for the heads up :)

Hey Nate, I was referring to the flash-to-pass function, not regular high beam use. Make sure that you can see those deer!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Just a Comment on the HID ..............

Personally one of the Very Most (Important) Factors in me getting the Bullitt Mustang was the HID Light Option.

Personally, I would NOT have purchased the Bullitt without that Option Available.

There is all the difference in the World as to what you see with regular light versus the Optional HID Lights.

Worth every Penny.

Ford did Great !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me Wrong here, I Luv the Bullitt and as my other Post here have indicated I am a Major Steve Mcqueen Fan from way back when.

But I told the wife the next car I get will have the Newer Lights or I will pick one that does offer them or comes as Standard Equipment.

The Age thing Here !!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Yes I love the HID's! I'm with you Terry.
I did not know that about the initial surge to "warm them up".
In my non-technical terms, I had read where Ford came up with a pivot mechanism to adjust the bulb so it angled differently in the reflector mirrors to give you high beam and low beam (whereas most cars with HID have separate high & low beams, the Bullitt is one headlight). So I assumed the flash was because they came on at high beam and then pivoted to low beam position.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
cdynaco said:
Yes I love the HID's! I'm with you Terry.
I did not know that about the initial surge to "warm them up".
In my non-technical terms, I had read where Ford came up with a pivot mechanism to adjust the bulb so it angled differently in the reflector mirrors to give you high beam and low beam (whereas most cars with HID have separate high & low beams, the Bullitt is one headlight). So I assumed the flash was because they came on at high beam and then pivoted to low beam position.

That must be what the relay is for. You'll notice that when you activate the high-beams it makes a "ka-chung" sound. Relays wear out, so that is why I recommend to use the flash-to-pass function as little as possible.

Initially I thought that is was a special lamp that had two lamp capsules for high and low. I figured that they used two reflector designs also.

·
Registered
595 Posts
For me the HID's where a must have walked away several cars because they did not have them. The funny thing is I have only driven about 5 miles with them on and that was in town and didn't really need them.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Jester67 said:
For me the HID's where a must have walked away several cars because they did not have them. The funny thing is I have only driven about 5 miles with them on and that was in town and didn't really need them.
Jester,

Wait until you get caught in a Heavy Rain Storm at Night.

The HIDs light up the Lines in the Road where you can see where you are.

They work in any Weather, but especially in Bad Weather.

Terry

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Jester,

Wait until you get caught in a Heavy Rain Storm at Night.

The HIDs light up the Lines in the Road where you can see where you are.

They work in any Weather, but especially in Bad Weather.

Terry
Something I've found that helps IMMENSELY with rain is that Rain-X washer fluid - why they didn't come-up with this like 20-years ago, I'll never know. Makes what would normally be a "Wipers on high, deathgrip on the wheel, staring through the mess at the faded road-striping" kind of drive home in a Thunderstorm at night into a "Ho-Hum, seems I'll have to turn the delay up one notch" drive.

Seriously.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
JC2954 said:
Something I've found that helps IMMENSELY with rain is that Rain-X washer fluid - why they didn't come-up with this like 20-years ago, I'll never know. Makes what would normally be a "Wipers on high, deathgrip on the wheel, staring through the mess at the faded road-striping" kind of drive home in a Thunderstorm at night into a "Ho-Hum, seems I'll have to turn the delay up one notch" drive.

Seriously.

I think Rain-X has been around for 20 years; don't know about the washer fluid though.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
BB2008 said:
I think Rain-X has been around for 20 years; don't know about the washer fluid though.
The Rain-X product has been around since the '70s - but it's a PITA to apply all the time - they put it in the washer fluid, and I think that's the best thing since Fuel Injection.............

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to use Rain-X on all my motorcycles and cars windshields. I now use a product called Plexus. Over time Rain-x will cause a fog or delaminate plastic motorcycle windshields and helmet face shields. Don't get me wrong, it is a good product, but last year I noticed an issue on my BMW K1100LT windshield that my dealer has attributed to Rain-X. I switched to Plexus on all my vehicles. It seems to last about as long or a little longer than Rain-X.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
wsd080546 said:
I used to use Rain-X on all my motorcycles and cars windshields. I now use a product called Plexus. Over time Rain-x will cause a fog or delaminate plastic motorcycle windshields and helmet face shields. Don't get me wrong, it is a good product, but last year I noticed an issue on my BMW K1100LT windshield that my dealer has attributed to Rain-X. I switched to Plexus on all my vehicles. It seems to last about as long or a little longer than Rain-X.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html
Plexus on Plastic - I've been using it for years on my bikes. Doesn't help with fogging on the inside of the faceshield, though.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
^^^^^ I buy anti-fog cloths from ski shops when I go each year. They work great for wiping down the inside of goggles. You might go online to some ski shops and buy some.

I keep one in my console for my glasses or shades.
There's a product called "Catcrap" or something like that - I've used it before, works FANTASTIC for fogging. Another thing is a small spraybottle with distilled water and a lil' squirt of liquid dish-detergent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts