Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my plug-and-play HID on my 2001 Mustang...very happy with the light output, but my high and low beams are reversed. The plug that plugs into my headlight harness has 3 wires coming out of it...I'm wondering if I have to switch some of them around, but have no clue which ones???

Does anyone know what I should do? By the way, it is a Xentec 9007 bixenon 6000k kit

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, I found which wire has juice when lows are on and vice versa with highs...does anyone know if there is a way to just pull the wires out and switch them rather than splicing them?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw from another post that there are some kind of retainer clips in the back of the plug...I tried to stick a straightened paperclip into it to find a clip, but there is some kind of soft yellow pad around the wire and I don't want to mess it up if it is an insulator. How do I release the retainer clip?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Chances are you may mess up the connector trying to pull the wires out. I would splice with solder and heat shrink the connection. Quick and very easy, if you can solder, anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Old lights are 12 volts.

New HID are XX,000 volts.

These are how many thousand volts to light them off and how many thousand volts to keep them on. I wouldn't suggest cutting and splicing the wires.

Update answer is:
XENON HID lighting systems require over 20,000 volts to ignite the bulbs. Once lit, they only require 85 volts to keep running.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
neile said:
Old lights are 12 volts.

New HID are XX,000 volts.

These are how many thousand volts to light them off and how many thousand volts to keep them on. I wouldn't suggest cutting and splicing the wires.

Update answer is:
XENON HID lighting systems require over 20,000 volts to ignite the bulbs. Once lit, they only require 85 volts to keep running.
Those are the power-supply wires for the Ballast (12V) now that he's added HID's to a non-HID-equipped car. From the Ballast to the Bulb it uses a special shielded wire to damp the large magnetic field caused by the high-frequency output.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wires I'm talking about splicing go from the bulb to the Hi/lo connector (so not from the high powered ballast), but I still would like to keep it clean and not splice anything.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
You should be-able to pry the silicone weatherseal (yellow/orange/blue/green squishy-thing) out of the back of the plug, then use the same jeweler's screwdriver for that to depress the tabs on each terminal to free them from the plug shell.

As I'm not familiar with this particular plug I'd have to look at it to advise with 100% certainty how to proceed.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I was talking about the wires between the factory connctor (for the headlight) and the ballast, not the ballast to the new bulb. These wires carry 12 volts, and connected to the ballast only pull about .5 amps. Cut in this area, splice, then heat shrink and no one will ever know you were there. But if you feel more comfortable pulling the connector apart, then use caution. I have seen too many plastic connectors buggered out from trying to de-pin them. Some so much so, they were unable to secure the pins in them anymore.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the help. I ended up cuting two wires behind each headlight (black and red) that ran to the box that controls the HID high/low beam and switched them by soldering them and everything works great. Next for the fogs, hopefully for christmas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran into the problem that my single stage HID kit had the low beam wire in the high beam slot so I just had to move it to the low beam slot after looking at the original wiring setup for my car. Simple fix but took me forever to figure out it was the problem, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.