Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Now that I got your attention, I thought that I'd share a bit of news with you. As you may know, I've been modding my Bullitt and making multiple trips to the dyno to quantify the actual performance gains from the mods. At the last dyno session I realized that if I was going to get the most potential from my mods that I would need the ability to adjust the air/fuel ratio as well as the timing. Now I have the Steeda timing adjuster and it works fine but the only way to adjust the A/F is to have a custom chip burned on the dyno.

Well, being the engineer that I am, I wanted to be able to do it myself SO.....I designed the MAFterburnerTM.

The MAFterburnerTM is a box of electronics and software that intercepts the signal coming from the MAF sensor, "modifies" it, and sends the "modified" signal off to the EEC. I'll spare you the details of the design work and I'll just get straight to the point. Today I had my first dyno session with the MAFterburner installed and the results were just as theorized. I made six runs total monitoring A/F ratio with a wide-band O2 and an EGT sensor that I installed in my car (Bullitt #5434) and got the following results (all numbers are SAE with CF = 0.96):

Base Run Mods: JBA Headers, Magnaflow X-pipe and cat-back, Steeda pullies and timing adjuster set to 14 degrees (stock MAF and airbox), NO MAFterburnerTM correction!

Base Run(006): 236.2rwhp/275.6rwtq/EGTpeak = 1412.2degF/ A/F below 11:1 from 4100-6000rpm

Run #2 Mods: Added C&L 80mm MAF with K&N, still NO MAFterburnerTM correction!

Run#2 (007): 242.3rwhp/281.1rwtq/EGTpeak = 1426.8degF/ A/F 11.7:1 at 4000rpm, above 11:1 until 5000rpm, below 11:1 from 5000-5750rpm and at 11:1 from 5750-6100rpm

Run #3 Mods: Set MAFterburnerTM to lean mixture by 2% across the entire RPM range

Run #3 (008): 243.6rwhp/283.1rwtq/EGTpeak = 1426.0degF/ A/F = 12:1 at 4500rpm, 11:1 until 5750rpm, and 11.3:1 at 6100rpm

Run #4 Mods: Set MAFterburnerTM to run at 4% lean across the entire RPM range

Run #4 (009): 248.9rwhp/291.6rwtq/EGTpeak = 1411.2degF/ A/F = 12.5:1 at 4000, 11.6 at 5000, 11.5 at 6000rpm

Run #5 Mods: Custom MAFterburnerTM program with goal of maintaining an A/F ratio of 13.5:1 to 4500rpm and 13:1 from 4500-6100rpm

Run #5 (010): 254.0rwhp/298.1rwtq!!!!/ EGTpeak = 1512.0degF / A/F was exactly as programmed!

Run #6 Mods: Detuned MAFterburnerTM slightly to richen mixture from 3500-4000rpm (2% change)

Run #6 (011): 253.6rwhp/296.0rwtq!!!/ EGTpeak = 1516.5degF/ A/F in 3500-4000rpm range was corrected to approx. 13:1.

Whew!! That was a lot of typing. The end result is as follows:

1. The C&L 80mm MAF/K&N bought me 6.1rwhp/6.5rwtq over the stock airbox/MAF with my other mods.

2. The MAFterburnerTM bought me 11.7rwhp/16.0rwtq over and above the gains from the C&L 80mm kit.

3. Total gains for the day: 17.8rwhp/22.5rwtq!!!!!!!!!

I've been working on the MAFterburnerTM with intentions of providing late-model Mustang owners with an inexpensive and reliable alternative to chips. The biggest advantage to the MAFterburnerTM is that YOU would be able to tune you own car to the mods that you have without having to send off for a cookie-cutter chip (these rarely work) or have someone else burn you a dyno-tuned chip. Then if you ever make more mods, all you have to do is go back to the dyno and retune the car yourself.

Well, that's all for now. I'm in the process of working out the manufacturing details for this product as well as setting up an e-commerce website. Things should be ready to go in early spring (shooting for March sometime). Retail price is mostly likely shaping up to be $299.95 (not bad for 11.7rwhp and 16.0rwtq!). In a few days you'll be able to check out a picture of the MAFterburnerTM and the dyno charts for the above mentioned runs. The address will be: http://www.mafterburner.com

I'll be posting the same results over on Corral.net and Stangnet.com but I just wanted to give my fellow Bullittheads the scoop first!

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Mark Chiappetta
Zone-5 Performance Products

BLACK BULLITT #05434 - Mods: Steeda Triax & Pullies & Timing adj., JBA Ceramic Shorty Headers, Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats & cat-back, FRRP Aluminum Driveshaft, 80mm C&L MAF(black tube), Conical K&N filtercharger, MAFterburnerTM

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjchip on 2002-01-05 17:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjchip on 2002-01-05 17:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjchip on 2002-01-05 17:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very impressive! Let me know when it's up and running. My question now, and I'd like to see results comparisons if you can, is the cost of the timing advancer and the Mafterburner combined, along w/HP gains, compared to a custom burned chip that also advances the timing all in one. I don't have a chip yet, but now your product is making me do some thinking.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Yep,I also noticed that the A/F ratio would go real rich at the higher RPMs,even in stock shape. The chip I used brought it back in the 12.9-13.1 range.But to tune your product,do you need access to a wide band O2 sensor,on the dyno. Would a typical O2 sensor A/F gauge work just as well for on the road tuning? I use one to tune my carbed Mustang and it is fairly accurate and sensitive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would the MAFterburner yield similar results when used in conjunction with a Pro-M Bullet 87mm MAF + WMS velocity tube combo? I imagine that it might have to be re-calibrated when used with a different type of MAF.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-06 10:56, ironlungz wrote:
Would the MAFterburner yield similar results when used in conjunction with a Pro-M Bullet 87mm MAF + WMS velocity tube combo? I imagine that it might have to be re-calibrated when used with a different type of MAF.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

What you'd need to do is dyno your car with a wide-band O2 sensor and see what the A/F curve vs. RPM looks like. If it's stable around 13:1 for the entire curve from say 3500-6000rpm then you probably wouldn't benefit much from this device. However, if not, then you would be able to tune your car for maximum performance at WOT and correct for any drivability issues caused by CAIs and the like. The first MAFterburnerTM is going to ship with the 19lb/hr injector curve programmed into it and that will be tailored to relatively stock vehicles (no power adders). Others will soon follow. For more information see the following post over at Stangnet.com:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?threadid=107853&goto=newpost

Thanks,

Mark Chiappetta
<URL>www.mafterburner.com</URL>

BLACK BULLITT #05434 - Mods: Steeda Triax & Pullies & Timing adj., JBA Ceramic Shorty Headers, Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats & cat-back, FRRP Aluminum Driveshaft, 80mm C&L MAF(black tube), Conical K&N filtercharger, MAFterburnerTM

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjchip on 2002-01-06 11:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-05 17:56, DHG312 wrote:
Very impressive! Let me know when it's up and running. My question now, and I'd like to see results comparisons if you can, is the cost of the timing advancer and the Mafterburner combined, along w/HP gains, compared to a custom burned chip that also advances the timing all in one. I don't have a chip yet, but now your product is making me do some thinking.

I paid around $165 for the timing adjuster from Partshopper.com so add $300 for the MAFterburnerTM and you come up with $465. I gained 5.7rwhp and 9.7rwtq by advancing the timing to 14deg (vs. 10deg stock) and 11.7rwhp and 16.0rwtq from tuning my a/f ratio to be a consistent 13.1-13.2 from 3000-6000rpm. The total gains on my car: 17.4rwhp/25.7rwtq. Total dollars spent: $165 (T/A) + $299 (hypothetical MAFterburnerTM retail cost) = $464. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Mark Chiappetta
www.mafterburner.com

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you think you need both the larger MAF and the change in A/F ratio? or will adjusting the A/F ratio get you most of the power just by itself?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-01-06 16:25, PEO'R wrote:
Do you think you need both the larger MAF and the change in A/F ratio? or will adjusting the A/F ratio get you most of the power just by itself?

My calculations show that the stock MAF body that comes on our cars can flow enough air to support approximately 295hp with 1.5"Hg pressure drop across it. So, I think that increasing the cross-sectional area of the MAF body alone would do little for our cars. What makes the C&L MAF work so well is not the 80mm bore but rather the relationship between the bore and sampling tube areas which essentially leans out our mixture by 4%. To answer your question, most of the gain is coming from the mixture change and you won't need to change the actual MAF body unless you use a power-adder (supercharger, nitrous, turbo, etc.)

Mark Chiappetta
www.mafterburner.com

Mark

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Wow. This is interesting. So, I want to run a stockish trim before I start buying major parts. This works with a stock 57mm throttle, right? Or do you need to go with the larger 80mm?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2002-01-06 19:21, Los wrote:
Wow. This is interesting. So, I want to run a stockish trim before I start buying major parts. This works with a stock 57mm throttle, right? Or do you need to go with the larger 80mm?

Hey Los,

This would work just great with the stock MAF and throttle body. In fact, unless you put a power adder on your car, I'd stick with the stock MAF and TB anyway. Increasing the TB area may decrease your low-end torque and the larger diameter MAF (unless it changes the mixture) will do you little good as it can flow enough air for approximately 295hp.

Mark Chiappetta
www.mafterburner.com

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Folks,

OK, you've all been great so far with both your positive and negative feedback and I appreciate the time you're all taking to respond to my posts but I'd like to present you with an opportunity. You all have the ability to get your input taken into consideration early in the design process. That way we'll hopefully end up with a useful product that delivers an excellent price/performance ratio. With that said, let me turn this thread around. How about you guys put up your wish lists for an A/F tuner? I'll start with the current design and we can work from there. Maybe you could include the following categories (and of course anything else you can think of):

1. Price: You don't want to know how much I spent on this design already!!! Seriously though, how much are you willing to pay?

2. Reason for purchase: for me it was to correct my overly rich a/f ratio (as programmed from the factory) and get the most gains from my exhaust and intake mods. My car is normally aspirated and has what I consider to be minor modifications.

3. Performance: 11.7rwhp/16.0rwtq, What performance gains would you expect for the above money spent?

4. Input Variables: MAF, TPS, RPM

5. Output Variables(to EEC): corrected MAF

6. Programming Interface: Windows-based, custom software that runs on a desktop or notebook computer. Connects via com port at 57,600baud. What would you like here? Simplicity I'm sure but what else? Do you have access to a notebook computer? Would you prefer a stand-alone programmer or a built in one?

7. Installation Details: right now on the prototype, I have to supply +12v switched power and ground to the device, tap into the TPS wire coming from the EEC, and cut the MAF signal going from the sensor to the EEC and splice two wires into the cut ends. Ideally I'd like to have this box just plug in between the MAF and existing harness and just have to tap into the TPS sensor with a single wire but I'm having a helluva time trying to find a mating connector to our current 6-pin MAF connector. The company that makes the MAF connector, Tyco Electronics (formerly AMP) makes only the harness end and the mate is molded directly into the plastic housing of the MAF sensor body. Would you be willing to splice into your harness like is done with the Apex devices? If not, would you sacrifice higher cost for a plug-and-play?

8. Dash Display: Right now there is none. Would you guys want some type of display on the dash to tell you what's going on inside the box? How about a built in EGT gauge or A/F ratio or both? How much extra would you pay for this functionality?

Well, anything else you can think of would be much appreciated. If this works out and I can get a product out there that fits your desires AND you guys participate in the design process, I'll give you guys a substantial discount on the unit when it goes on sale. That goes for anyone on Stangnet.com, Corral.net, and Bullittclub.com. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Mark Chiappetta
http://www.mafterburner.com

BLACK #5434 - Steeda Triax & Pullies & T/A, JBA shorties, Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats & cat-back, Alum. Driveshaft, 80mm C&L MAF w/K&N, MAFterburnerTM - 254.0rwhp/ 298.1rwtq SAE (CF=0.96)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjchip on 2002-01-07 08:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good work mj. You should work with our MD&D dept. We make the MAF units.
I did notice that when I puchased my Bullitt that it ran a little rich, so I made a new custom MAF unit and had it recalibrated for the increased flow, and added a K&N. I,m also contiplating a Denscharger set-up. Now in discussing this with some of our engineers at work they had stated that with these mods that I would notice a little difference but that I still might notice that it runs a little rich. Sounds like you might have found something here.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On 2002-01-07 10:38, qtownbullitt wrote:
I did notice that when I puchased my Bullitt that it ran a little rich, so I made a new custom MAF unit and had it recalibrated for the increased flow, and added a K&N. I,m also contiplating a Denscharger set-up. Now in discussing this with some of our engineers at work they had stated that with these mods that I would notice a little difference but that I still might notice that it runs a little rich. Sounds like you might have found something here.

Hi Jeff,

What's the name of your company? Do you guys actually make the meters for Ford? Also, what does MD&D stand for? Something Design and Development? Anyway, this may sound silly but one of the biggest problems I've been having is getting a mating connector for that 6-pin Tyco connector that plugs into the MAF itself. The harness end is readily available but the mate, which would look like the receptacle on the MAF meter itself is proving to be difficult to find. I suppose I can have my own RP'ed but the cost would be large. I also have an idea to merge my electronics/software with a ported and calibrated MAF body/meter and offer them as an integral unit. What do you think?

Mark Chiappetta

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I put the dyno charts for the 1st MAFterburnerTM prototype up on my website. Here is the link:

www.mafterburner.com

Follow the link to the dyno charts.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Mark Chiappetta
www.mafterburner.com

·
Registered
214 Posts
On 2002-01-07 10:59, mjchip wrote:
On 2002-01-07 10:38, qtownbullitt wrote:

Hi Jeff,

What's the name of your company? Do you guys actually make the meters for Ford? Also, what does MD&D stand for? Something Design and Development? Anyway, this may sound silly but one of the biggest problems I've been having is getting a mating connector for that 6-pin Tyco connector that plugs into the MAF itself. The harness end is readily available but the mate, which would look like the receptacle on the MAF meter itself is proving to be difficult to find. I suppose I can have my own RP'ed but the cost would be large. I also have an idea to merge my electronics/software with a ported and calibrated MAF body/meter and offer them as an integral unit. What do you think?

Mark Chiappetta

Hi Mark,
I ported my MAF myself and had it, what we call reburned and calibrated.
The only concern that I would have is, What kind of internal damage could happen if any? Years ago the Top Fuel guys used to lean them out at top end for more HP and this caused a few pistons to melt. They finally stopped when I was told that NHRA started fineing them for oiling down the track. But then again this is under extreme conditions and they were probably leaning them out more.
Check your e-mail for other info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts