Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang i have gotten bitten by that little bastard we all know as the "power-adder bug" and now am contemplating supercharge and turbocharge kits VERY seriously... I ned to know though, with a stock engine 2001 2V with 125K on the clock (no blowby or smoke, no engine problems and she runs beautifully) what chances do i have of getting more power without damaging the engine? do i need to spend my money now on a 03-04 Terminator engine and stock cobra setup, and wait another two years to save up for turbos or something? or can our 2V handle a turbo or KB/centrifugal system without blowing apart at 125K?

anyone here running a power adder and got more than 90K on the stock engine? am I dreaming here? Wanting too much? I just don't want to sell my baby EVER, but those damn Cobra people are making like 600HP easy, and that block makes 900HP with a simple turbo kit!!! I find myself pondering selling my Bullitt just to get that kind of power, but then I realize I will never sell this car, I just WANT THAT POWER!!!!:mad:

thanks in advance for info and tips people, and if you have a recommendation for on type of P/A over another BECAUSE OF HOW IT WILL TREAT THE STOCK ENGINE, please post it.

shaun

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
you could stay N/A if you are concerned, get some cams and heads,etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Added a KB @ 60K ON a good sound engine. No real racing but I didnt baby it either. Rod broke @ 103K. I wasnt even getting on it when it broke. Friend of mine added his KB @ 90k I think, he didnt have his on a year before a piston gave out on him...Bottom line is its a crap shoot, some make it and some dont. If you get a sc or turbo make sure you got money in the bank or a back-up car so when it does go you are not afoot long.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info so far, you two... i have also considered building up the motor but feel like for the extra $$ i could just get a 4V terminator block and be safe too... i don't know...

thanks for your points of view though, keep 'em coming!

shaun

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know how you feel.I always contemplate selling so I can get into the power of a Terminator. Trus me, even once you get a blower or whatever, youll get used to the power and want more.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I wouldnt put a blower on a car with that kind of miliage,u r just asking for trouble.Buy a new short or longblock and a blower and your good to go without having to worry about when the engine will let go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been blown since 65000 and got 97000 now. GET A GREAT DYNO TUNE if you do it. I'm only running 9 psi and most the time baby it; just play once in a while and I never get near the red line (usually don't need to blow up the kiddies rice grinders and occasional other stang). I only "play" with vettes; never get too serious and let it rip.

You CAN do it and it will be fun, but I'd stay out of the high RPMs under high boost. you just have to re-learn how to drive and watch the extra gauge.

Crap, look at it this way, your engine is probably only 50k from being wasted anyway and needing a total rebuild; if you get 25k with a blower, well you got a blower for your next engine that will be FRESH!

·
Registered
244 Posts
go for a D.S.S. block for $1500. Then strap on the Blower or turbo. But, if your going down that road, you should consider a head rebuild and some came. Otherwise, save for the Terminator set up and get a pulley and nice tune!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
something to consider there Jason, i didn't know those stout 2v bottom ends were so cheap... with those kind of savings having my heads ground/ported and a set of good mid level blower cams would be WELL within the budget...

clarktl, that is a great suggestion, and i feel the same way about the power, i know having a bigger powerplant would mean trying to relearn the way to drive the car, and i understand what you mean about not getting crazy on the stock block...

maybe a combo of the two ideas would be best... get the blower and a good tune on the stock block, get about 25-30K more out of the motor, and be ready then to rebuild a stout forged bottom end 2v motor, rather than pulling it and spending on a terminator 4v motor.

thanks again for ALL of the advice, guess i have some things to think about... and a few more bucks to save up before feeding the ol' power-adder bugg!!

shaun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts