Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got this car a year ago I noticed an issue when highway cruising and downshifting from 5th to 3rd. Sometimes, when I first try it the transmission says no way. I have to go from 5th to 4th to 3rd. I changed the transmission and gear box fluids last summer and that seemed to help, but it still happens from time to time.

Anyone else having this issue, or know what’s going on?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,630 Posts
You still running the factory shifter? I am..but MSG or Barton seem to be the preferred mod for the racy types. The usual complaint is 2nd to 3rd when getting on it. To tell the truth, I've never felt the need to go from 5th directly to 3rd...The car's just a driver to me. No longer do auto-x or track days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm still running the stock shifter. Too be clear, it's if I'm cruising along in 5th at 60-65 and then dropping into 3rd for some extra grunt. Sometimes it just doesn't want to go and I have to drop to 4th and then 3rd to get the desired results. I didn't know if it was some kind of synchro issue. Would a new shifter help this?

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
The shifter design on the S197 is hot garbage in general. I recommend the Blowfish Racing bracket, which mounts the shifter to the transmission entirely, and gets it off the floor of the car.

·
BULLITT In The Chamber
106 Posts
YES!
MGW Shifter: There is no substitute.
... and YES!
The shifter design on the S197 is hot garbage in general. I recommend the Blowfish Racing bracket, which mounts the shifter to the transmission entirely, and gets it off the floor of the car.
I have both and they make a HUGE difference. I don't auto-x or track my car. It's just a fair weather driver usually on my days off from work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts