Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the pleasure of attending the Bullitt Nationals held last year during Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, S.C. I and my buddy Al got there early for the huge car show held at the Colonial Mall shopping center and were the first parked. I can't tell you how thrilled I was as I watched and filmed a long line of '01 and '08 Bullitt's pull in to line up for the days festivites.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_fNxj_uL8
About fifty or so prestine Bullitt's all driven by IMBOC members. What a day it was!!

I responded to a post a fellow member recently made. He was asking how we felt about putting on a really cool and expensive set of chrome rims. I responded with my opinion which is what he asked us to do. Other IMBOC members did the same and the general consensus (except for mine) was "hey...go ahead, nice wheels". I know our country has drifted along the "If it feels good..do it" highway and if that's a good thing or not, well...I'll leave that for you to decide.

There is a reason why the 2001 and 2008 Bullitt's look the way they do. It's what drew me in the first place. It occurred to me seeing the go-ahead-and-do-it responses that I at least might be so bold as to make a case for the other point of view even at the risk of being ostracized.

First...why even bother? I can't really answer that question except for one nagging issue...history, and the way our generation has allowed it to not be passed on to the next.

The International Mustang Bullitt Owners Club (IMBOC) WHY?
I'm a Johnny Come Lately with my shinny new '08 Bullitt. But you should have been at the Nats and seen for yourself all those proud '01 owners that had managed to, for the most part, leave their fine Bullitt Mustangs in prestine like new showroom condition...it was truly a sight to behold!
With the current financial crisis in the auto industry I think I'm safe saying there will probably never be another V-8 powered Mustang Bullitt manufactured...ever.
That being said..the current crop of Bullitt owners share in a legacy that will for the most part .... fade away.
The "mystic" surrounding a forty year old movie has surely waned in this mega-society we now dwell in. But for a few of us ...maybe just me now...I'd like to go to the Bullitt Nationals in about ten years and show up in a prestine like new showroom condition Bullitt. Like my Brothers did last July in their "01's
How about you?

The original wheel thread ....
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168631

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Me too Mike. When are we going to hook up? Call me!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2008Bullitt0867 said:
Me too Mike. When are we going to hook up? Call me!!
I'm going to the test&tune this Saturday at MIR or bust!! I recently installed the Brenspeed 93 tune and changed fuel filter, fresh Mobile 1 and I even blew out the air filter at work in preparation of a sub 13.5 run. Can't come close to you and your blower but she's pullin' like a screamin' demon!!! lol

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I believe as long as we do our job and pass the history of Bullitt on, we have fulfilled our obligation to the new generation.
Personally, I find it ironic that someone would buy a car that has all the bling removed and then add bells and whistles until it screams "Here I am"
Please understand, I am not criticizing anyone and I support anyone's right to modify their car in any way they see fit.
I applaud the ingenuity of our group in finding ways to mix and match components to fulfill their individual dreams.
My self and many others want our cars to, as closely as possible, resemble the original movie car and what it represented, a need for speed and power
without all the trappings of glitz and glamor. The greatest thing about our country is the inalienable right to be an individual,
to represent one's self as they see fit and not to be controlled by a centralist government or group that would have us all acting like Orwellian robots.
I now relinquish the soapbox and say thanks to the extremely intelligent individuals who started this site and maintain it for all of us Bullittheads.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Loop said:
...Personally, I find it ironic that someone would buy a car that has all the bling removed and then add bells and whistles until it screams "Here I am"...
That is pretty funny. Being devoid of the stuff I didn't want, the Bullitt was more of a blank canvas, ready to turn into a work of art.

I'm saving all the stock bits, and don't plan on any mods that alter the look of the body... While I like the movie car, and of course, the look of our "retro-stangs", they aren't the original movie car, but a modern interpretation thereof... In most ways, ours are much better cars. I bought my Bullitt because I wanted a premium GT, but not the flash and "look at me" stripes, scoops and spoilers... That stuff's for the 20 somethings.
The Bullitt was the Mustang that suited me best... I love the engine turned dash, and the seats are certainly a step up from GT seats. The DHG is gorgeous (though I think even harder to keep clean than black), and the stock wheels look super.
All in all, the Bullitt just suited my tastes best... But a stock car always needs a little custom tweaking, unless it's only for concourse.
I love driving my Bullitt.

:dhg08:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
oldlugs said:
That is pretty funny. Being devoid of the stuff I didn't want, the Bullitt was more of a blank canvas, ready to turn into a work of art.

I'm saving all the stock bits, and don't plan on any mods that alter the look of the body... While I like the movie car, and of course, the look of our "retro-stangs", they aren't the original movie car, but a modern interpretation thereof... In most ways, ours are much better cars. I bought my Bullitt because I wanted a premium GT, but not the flash and "look at me" stripes, scoops and spoilers... That stuff's for the 20 somethings.
The Bullitt was the Mustang that suited me best... I love the engine turned dash, and the seats are certainly a step up from GT seats. The DHG is gorgeous (though I think even harder to keep clean than black), and the stock wheels look super.
All in all, the Bullitt just suited my tastes best... But a stock car always needs a little custom tweaking, unless it's only for concourse.
I love driving my Bullitt.

:dhg08:
Very TRUE!!!!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm for keeping my 01' BULLITT as original as I can, why change now. -lol-

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Come on Wheelman "Mike", give them a break and look at the bright side. The more other mod and change their Bullitt the less number of truly stock Bullitt that will remain. The limited edition status will become more and more limited as the stock Bullitts get modded with gaudy bling.

My first though was that I will never mod my Bullitt until I saw the Glassback. Now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I plan on a lot of performance mods for mine but not much appearance wise other than the rear textured blackout panel to eliminate that fake gas cap that IMHO really wasn't necessary considering the "low-key" styling on the rest of the vehicle.

I am still on the fence about rear louvers; I thought I wanted them, now I'm not so sure since I got the windows tinted with 3M 50% Color Stable, I am definitely skipping the sides.

I WILL be saving all the original parts I replace in case a possible future owner wants to return to stock.

Hell, I even saved the oil filter when I changed the oil a week ago at 1200 miles, LOL.

So far, packed away is the inflation kit, 2 front floor mats, 4 wheel lugs, 1 oil filter, window stickers, and receipts for everything.

Next up to be stored are the mufflers and tires!

But hey, bottom line, to each her/his own...

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I was thinking about buying a Mustang, I was going for a GT Premium with spoiler delete, sports interior and a few other bits and pieces until I realised that the only way I could get the car in Green (and to me it's British Racing Green, no matter what anyone else says about it) was to buy a Bullitt...

I do love the film but I seriously do not think that this car has anything to do with that other than to make Ford and Warners some extra $$$'s...

Now I get to the point where I'm seriously considering a standard GT rear-deck emblem to replace the ghey 'Bullitt' one, which will make a nice ornament for the living-room...and maybe something to replace the dodgy steering-wheel centre...

I love the fact that there are those of you who cherish the whle 'Bullitt' ethos, but I'm not one of those people...to me this is a Mustang...a Green Mustang...my Mustang... and that's all...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Arkady001 said:
I do love the film but I seriously do not think that this car has anything to do with that other than to make Ford and Warners some extra $$$'s...

Now I get to the point where I'm seriously considering a standard GT rear-deck emblem to replace the ghey 'Bullitt' one, which will make a nice ornament for the living-room...and maybe something to replace the dodgy steering-wheel centre...

I love the fact that there are those of you who cherish the whle 'Bullitt' ethos, but I'm not one of those people...to me this is a Mustang...a Green Mustang...my Mustang... and that's all...
Regarding $: It is all about the mighty dollar for the majority of Corporate America. If there are those who care about the Bullitt phenomenon at Ford and WB, they are few.

Regarding rear deck: I have thought about doing the same. My car does not have to say Bullitt all over it. I just enjoy the retro 68 looks, which reminds me of the movie car and the 68's I have owned in the past.

Regarding the "Bullitt ethos.": I like that fact that it's a Bullitt and respect those who keep theirs in cherry condition as well as those who wish to mod (even if I make fun of some mods at times). However, this is my Mustang and I drive it like a daily driver. I am anal enough when I wash and wax now, BUT I AM NOT GOING TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE LONG RUN. LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND I WANT TO ENJOY IT NOW. So...

Just drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I,m nearly 60 and have signficant health issues.. I may not be here in 10 years.
I just ordered GT 500 rims and will next order a Brenspeed tune.I,m going to mod mine all I want and drive the crap out of it. You can bury me in my Bullit with a smile on my face!!!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
carter 2055 said:
Well I,m nearly 60 and have signficant health issues.. I may not be here in 10 years.
I just ordered GT 500 rims and will next order a Brenspeed tune.I,m going to mod mine all I want and drive the crap out of it. You can bury me in my Bullit with a smile on my face!!!
That is what life is about!
You only go around once, so you might as well grab the brass ring !
Everyone NEEDS to make the Bullitt perfect! If that means mod it or not, they should be perfect in the owners eyes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
hey lance sure would like to know what the dyno actually shows..let us know.
i put the replacement window ,ouver in my bullitt and it looks great..so close to a 68 i am amazed..

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
10-4 on that Good Buddy !!!!!!!!!!

carter 2055 said:
carter 2055<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1936821", true); </SCRIPT>
<! FIRST NAME START>aka "Carter"

Carter here You go Pal

Here's to Modding !!!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
crow magnum said:
i put the replacement window ,ouver in my bullitt and it looks great..so close to a 68 i am amazed..
PICTURES?

·
Registered
73 Posts
crow magnum said:

I will definitely post when I get numbers; I may actually get to the track before the dyno and there are calculators that are pretty accurate based on the car's total weight including driver along with elapsed time and trap speed.

Obviously, the dyno numbers are going to be much lower because of drivetrain loss and that's where I'm a little hazy; I bet that 2-piece DS sucks up a lot more power than your typical stick shift.

My guesstimate was just based on this: stock is 315/325 on 87, from what I've read that goes to 320/335 on premium and I figure Brenspeed's tune conservatively puts you at 330/340 (that's only 10HP and 5 TQ) and the butt-dyno says it's more than that...but I'm no expert.

Hopefully I am underestimating not vice versa.

Bottom line is that all I really care about are real world numbers i.e. 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, 60-0, 100-0, skidpad G's, etc..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts