Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the chance to take the Bullitt to MSR for a 'Happy Hour' yesterday. This is the first time I'd seen MSR and the first time I had driven a V8, rear drive car on the track. I was pretty reluctant to really try it out.

The first session was a 'lead/follow' with instructors to learn he preferred line. After a few laps, we got going pretty fast. I still missed the turn ins a few times. I was busy trying to keep up (with an Audi A4 w/ AWD and slicks). btw- the A4 was pushing on a Viper ACR in the damp.

The second session, it started raining. Not being that familar with the rear drive, I wasn't going to risk going off into the mud. I managed to get going fast enough to heat up the pads.

I did learn a few things-- torque is good. I could have left it in 3rd all around and still not looked goofie (or more goofy). The car is heavy and the brakes say so... I think I baked the pads. Not as much bite anymore, but they ain't squeelin'.

So, I need shop for some race pads (any suggstions?) and get air to them.

I need more seat time. I'd rather go to a track I know to reduce the number of unknowns, but track time is track time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One high speed trip down a country road and a good hard brake jam will smoke the stock pads. I use Performance Friction for street and Porterfields on track. Actually, I did not take off the R4s compounds off of my Saleen and use them on the street, I have to remind myself that they like a little heat before they optimize. You can get a street PF pad from AutoZone etc for life of the car, I have traded in several used up pads when I used them on track. They did not ask questions. PF's dust the wheels a lot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That sounds like the exact problem I am having with stock pads. I have gone through two complete sets already. It seams like after you heat them up for a period of time, after they cool, they just don’t grab as well any more. The Ford dealership actually replaced my first set under warranty. What happens is the pads, as they are cooling down, actually crack and become several pieces. If these are the pads that have come on the Cobra for ever, I am surprised that Ford has yet to change the pad compound.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still looking for the 'right pad'. I may have to get both street and race sets.

If I have time this weekend, I'll take the pads I just fried and see if I can remove the glaze and get that bite back.

It's been a long time since I've had a car that I could find pads for at Autozone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jay, I was at the same lead and follow and saw your car. I was in the loud black '98 Z28. I have been very happy with my Carbotech SSF pads. They work great on the street/autox, and the only downside to MSR is that they wear quickly and stink turning into rattle snake :smile: The Panthers are probably better suited to road course duty. I have done several events at MSR, 20 some autox and 3K in street driving on the current set of pads. They are over half worn, but have stopped me well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts