Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

anybody already hit the rpm-limiter on his Bullitt yet? I did it for the first time yesterday, but accidently to be honest. Just overtook a van (guess I was in the 3rd gear or maybe even 2nd!) and pushed very hard (had oncoming traffic so I had to be quick). Suddenly, the gauge went the whole way back and the car lost suddenly the acceleration. In the first moment I thought I've blown the engine, but everything was ok, no warning chimes, no warning lights.

Anybody hasd similar experiences?

·
Registered
576 Posts
TheGreenMachine said:
Hi there,

anybody already hit the rpm-limiter on his Bullitt yet? I did it for the first time yesterday, but accidently to be honest. Just overtook a van (guess I was in the 3rd gear or maybe even 2nd!) and pushed very hard (had oncoming traffic so I had to be quick). Suddenly, the gauge went the whole way back and the car lost suddenly the acceleration. In the first moment I thought I've blown the engine, but everything was ok, no warning chimes, no warning lights.

Anybody hasd similar experiences?
Yeah, the computer will shut the engine down at 6500 RPM! Keeping you from blowing the engine! I have done it a couple of times! You get that sinking feeling in your heart... ;)

Marty

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've done it once accidently. I was doing a burnout and forgot to shift to 2nd :lol: I'm glad it is there - but it is a weird feeling when it shuts down.

·
Administrator
5,011 Posts
Limiter?

I haven't hit the limiter yet, but I have a question:

I would have assumed that the limiter would just limit how fast the engine turns. (Just so fast but no faster)
By what I'm reading here, though, it sounds like the limiter shuts down the engine! Is this true? I would think that in certain situations it would be a safety hazard to lose the power altogether.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I don't see hitting the rev limiter as any big deal. It is a safety feature to prevent you from hitting too high of revs that could damage the engine. I had a 91 Celica All-Trac with rev limiter that I bought new and often hit the rev limiter on it. I sold it few years ago with 160,000 miles on it and there was any problems with the engine. If you haven't driven a car with a rev limiter before, I think that it just a matter of knowing when it will kick in and getting used to it if it does. Of course, the key to not having it kick in is to keep your eye on the tach and to shift right before red line.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right of course. I was just surprised about the rev-limiter, since my Volkswagen doesn't have one.

·
Registered
934 Posts
RonReam said:
I haven't hit the limiter yet, but I have a question:

I would have assumed that the limiter would just limit how fast the engine turns. (Just so fast but no faster)
By what I'm reading here, though, it sounds like the limiter shuts down the engine! Is this true? I would think that in certain situations it would be a safety hazard to lose the power altogether.

It will bounce off of the limiter at first - not really shutting down - it's just a strange feeling.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dodging Bullitt said:
I don't see hitting the rev limiter as any big deal. It is a safety feature to prevent you from hitting too high of revs that could damage the engine. I had a 91 Celica All-Trac with rev limiter that I bought new and often hit the rev limiter on it. I sold it few years ago with 160,000 miles on it and there was any problems with the engine. If you haven't driven a car with a rev limiter before, I think that it just a matter of knowing when it will kick in and getting used to it if it does. Of course, the key to not having it kick in is to keep your eye on the tach and to shift right before red line.
I agree with you 100%.

·
Administrator
5,011 Posts
STJonesin4 said:
It will bounce off of the limiter at first - not really shutting down - it's just a strange feeling.
Steve, That's what I was hoping for. I used to Play with a 1963 Fairlane that I put a rev limiter into. The limiter just cut off some of the signal going to the coil. It made the motor sound terrible when it hit the limiter, but it didn't make the engine revs decrease any.

I was just wondering if Ford was doing anything different with their limiters now.

Dennis, your comment "Suddenly, the gauge went the whole way back and the car lost suddenly the acceleration" had me thinking that the engine actually shut down. I misunderstood.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think that a "soft" limiter just kills alternating coils and/or injectors.
I haven't hit it yet on my Bullitt (only about 3K miles, so far), but hit it nearly every time out in my supercharged Toy S-Runner.

:dhg08:

·
Administrator
5,011 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
it's great to know that the rev limiter does it's job so that we don't have to pay an engine builder to do his job!

rev limiter = great feature
Agreed! But we Still can get into Serious Trouble with a 2-1 shift when a 2-3 shift was supposed to happen!

·
Registered
576 Posts
RonReam said:
Agreed! But we Still can get into Serious Trouble with a 2-1 shift when a 2-3 shift was supposed to happen!

Ron,

Yep, doing that will lock up the rear end. I did it once coming up to a stop light and dropped in 2nd too soon. Locked up quick! ouch!

Marty

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
RonReam said:

+1. The rev limiter only protects you on upshifts, not downshifts. I always let the shifter center itself before moving into the next gear- I haven't made a mistake shifting since.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hitting the limiter is bad for the belts and pulleys. It is also easy to do in second gear. Get a shift light and save the wear and tear!

·
Registered
40 Posts
RonReam said:

I had a girl friend do that while shifting for me once way back when ...

I hit the rev limiter on my test drive. Then went for the Bullitt with less than 10 miles on it instead of that one with about 50 miles (and at least one test of the rev limiter) on it.

I believe I read that the rev limiter shuts down the injectors and actually starts limiting a little BEFORE the red line.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've hit the limiter a few times. All it does is start to pull timing as you get close and then shuts down the injectors to save from over spinning the motor. With some tuning software packages you can specify the limiter points. On my previous car that was s/c'd 1st gear was very tall so you would run into the limiter all the time so all we did was limit the boost in 1st.

·
Registered
174 Posts
funny you should ask>>> This morn I got into my 1st altercation with what sounded like a big block camero. we were pulling dead even thru second and then I hit the limiter. Bad news!!! He flew past... I was wathing him instead of the tach.. Rookie driver mistake... The Bullit performed beautifully

1 - 20 of 51 Posts