Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I'm finished washing my 'Stang, I lift up the hood and prop it to allow the water to drain from the scoop and the black cover under the hood where the horse indentation is, becomes soaked with water, it leaves a big wet spot there, anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Pretty much all of us;-)... The scoops hold a lot of water. Some guys leave a towl in place to catch the water. I use an air hose sometimes, other times I just let it drip and then wax out the water spots.

Happy Holidays.

Bud

PS here is a link to this conversation from before :wink:

http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3793&forum=35&15

Bud's Bullit #00227

http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bullitt.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BudACAD on 2001-12-23 01:09 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BudACAD on 2001-12-23 01:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-23 00:16, '01 Hoofbeat wrote:
After I'm finished washing my 'Stang, I lift up the hood and prop it to allow the water to drain from the scoop and the black cover under the hood where the horse indentation is, becomes soaked with water, it leaves a big wet spot there, anyone else with this problem?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Welcome to the club. :roll:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think there's a misunderstanding here. We all suffer the runoff after washing our Bullitts. It leaves trails and water spots down the front of the hood.

This sounds different, however. He's talking about water soaking into the underhood insulation. Must be one of the scoop mounts.

I'd remove the scoop and reseal it so the underhood insulation does not eventually mildew.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Good point. I did not catch that his hood insulation was soaked. I know the scoop has been taken off mine 4 times and it does not leak onto the insulation. That is part of the problem, it holds water toooo well<G>.

Thanks for stepping in and noticing the difference in what the post was about.

Bud

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a GT and also have the same problem with water dripping from the front of the hood scoop after washing the car. I found that the best thing to prevent endless dripping from the scoop is to start the car and pull it into the street and get it going up to 5 MPH or so and then slam on the brakes--all of the water will run out of the scoop all at once.No more dripping for hours on end. And less water gets into the hood blanket.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phoneman91 on 2001-12-26 10:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My insulaton gets soaked too.......I use a leaf blower to dry my entire car, works great on the hood scoop and grille area.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I have not paid much attention, but I usually pop my hood after washing it and let it dry, and I have not noticed the insulation being wet. I will look closer next time. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
what i do is take a small cloth, and roll it up. then neatly tuck it in front of the opening of the scoop. this eliminates any water from ever getting in there ( which is always a good thing ) since mine never gets that dirty anyway, this works well. never have any trickles afterwards. remember, it always best to use the least amount of water in trouble spots ( ie: hard to get at, hard to dry ) especially if you want to keep the car 20 or 30 years! just my .02

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used a shop vac on my GT for a while, but now I just roll up a half-dozen or so paper towels and put them in the scoop after washing. They'll soak through in ten minutes, then you can wring them out and put them back. In an hour or so it'll be dry. Oh, I also wash the car with it backed into the driveway, so the nose points downhill.
Just be glad you guys don't have the rear spoiler....to me, that's even more of a pain with the mounts draining water for three hours afterward. The third brake light does it too, as well as the bottom edges of the roof panels. I just end up spending the next hour after I wash the car walking around sopping up all the leftover water.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I usually open the hood to let the water drain out the back as I begin to dry it. Then when I shut the hood, much of the left over water runs out. Next I take a soft towel and roll it up and set it in front of the scoop to help catch the runoff water. Then I also spend the next hour checking under the mirrors, under the trunk door, where the C-pillar meets the body, and at all four corners for dripping water. I try not to drive the car then for an hour or so, otherwise all of the left over water runs out and leaves spots.

What a lot of work just to keep it clean. :grin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just have the car wash put in a towel in the front of the hood scoop and it blocks water from getting in...then the little bit of water that sneaks in is flushed out with an air compressor...works great...but the mirrors are a pain in the A$$...no matter what I do.. and how long I wait...they still let some water out and it puts streaks along the doors

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think its obvious that the designers of these scoops don't have to wash these cars. I haven't paid much attention to the insulation but it's a good tip! Washing the car in a downhill position will help and not spraying directly into the scoop helps slightly. It seems that the black plate in the scoop opening holds more water than a thomas's english muffin holds butter! A good chamos can really help the hood runoff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts