Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just outside, opened my hood, and cleaned my PCV valve after doing a search about my hesitation problem. I cleaned it and when I went to close the hood it didn't feel right. I would not close all the way. There's nothing in the way and I didn't move or touch anything else except the PCV valve. I saw English Bob had this problem but I didn't see any updates in a long time. I'll post pics in a second...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would try using the hood release inside the car again. If that doesn't help, use something to push the latch back down (as the hood would do). Before doing anthing however make sure the latch is lubricated well.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can make the hood flush with the fenders but the latch won't catch. Hell I can sit on the hood and it still won't do anything.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Odds are that it is your hood release inside the car. Mine always does it. Just get back in the car and pull the release again. Then push it all the way in. If I knew how to lube it I would.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried what you suggested Dee and still no love. :-(

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Look at the latch where the release cable attatches and see if the cable is lose. If it is use something to push that part of the latch towards the end of the cable. Other than that maybe a spray lubricant. Thats all I can think of. I hope you get it fixed. Let us know what fixes it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Take your time on the stuck hood.

Easy does it on the hood that doesn't latch. An easy fix might show up.
I moved the block heater plug to the depression on the driver's side of the rad.
The hood sometimes latched and sometimes didn't. Very tight clearances.

I had a neighbour's son who couldn't close his car door, and it took me an hour to determine that it was not the locking mechanism.
He had those cloth/elastic map pouches where Bullits have carpet on the door bottom.
It was sagging and a regular pen in the pouch was just enough to prevent the door from latching.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
id try the release cable....when u press down the latch see if the cable moves at all...ive replaced them at work on cars moreso than latches...they rnt too expensive and easy to replace too....soo give it a try....lemme know how things go

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I just took off the entire latch assembly and tried the latch. The cable is barely moving, if at all and had a lot of play on it. I'm assuming I should probably replace the cable right 240_Bullitt? I can make a small movie so u guys can see it if necessary. Anyone happen to know how much the cable is or any info about it? Thanks a bunch guys!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
5111 said:
Odds are that it is your hood release inside the car. Mine always does it. Just get back in the car and pull the release again. Then push it all the way in. If I knew how to lube it I would.

You could ask Paul...I bet he knows how to lube it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Things I've tried so far:
1. wiggled and jiggled the hood latch
2. cleaned and lubed the latch
3. adjusted the latch assembly
4. pushed and pulled on the hood release inside the car many times to make sure it wasn't stuck or caught on something
5. manually pushed in the hood latch to make sure it had free movement and could engage (it could)
6. checked the tautness of the cable (it was very loose)
7. checked the engagement and release of the hood release cable (it barely moved, if any)
8. adjusted the rubber stops on either side to near it's lowest setting (screwed in as much as i could)

No love from any of those...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
did it latch with the cable connected if so the cable may be fine but if it wont latch with the cable connected to the latch ur cable is hung up somewhere inside of it...price of a cable will prolly be in the neighborhood of 35 or so bucks....my price i think was 24 or somethin like that...im sure shipping is less than 11 so may be able to take care of that lemme know and ill see what i can do for ya

chris

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I kind of like the idea of adding hood pins. Forget the latch just add the pins! :wink:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I FINALLY got to time to take a look at it again. I eventually just moved the entire latch about 3/8" to the drivers side. I noticed after finally getting enough hand dexterity to look at close the hood, shine a light in there, and, look at what the latch was doing. It apparently was completely missing the hook on the hood itself. Now I need several beers to celebrate!!!! Thanks to everyone who helped!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Mine doesn't latch most of the time. I just slam the hell out of it over and over and eventually it grabs. My latch got bent years ago and I'm too cheap to replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Hey JustusShaft, I am having the same problem you did with the hood not closing. I istalled my MRT hood struts and when I was done the hood wouldnt close all the way, I could make it close, but it woulndt catch and hold it down, just like you described. I uninstalled everything to make sure that there was nothing in the way and its still doing it, so thats not it. I was just wondering if you could give me any info as to exactly how you fixed it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts