Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good deal on a set of Hooker Long tube headers and off road matching mid pipe. Anyone have this set up or know anything about them?
Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I have heard good things about the Hooker LTs. One thing to keep in mind about LTs is that they add difficulty when swapping out a tranny or clutch. Is it worth it? (I did it.)

Hookers....Trannies....sounds like a thread for Paul and Terry! :eek:

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
5111 said:
Hookers....Trannies....sounds like a thread for Paul and Terry! :eek:
True, but which one's which? :wink: Well that might not be too hard to figure out. I did see the picture of Terry with his pink slip. :lol:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hooker actually advertises on there site that the trans is removeable after the header install, with how much effort, who knows.
-Wes

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I've had Hooker headers on my car for about 3 1/2 years. I got a good deal on the Jet Hot coated version of them about five years ago. It took me that long to brave the job :D I might have gone with Kooks if they had been available when I bought them, but overall, I'm pretty happy with them.

The X-pipe was a little tricky to get on. Hooker uses a slip fit collector and you really need to seal it up with high temp RTV when you slide the X-Pipe on. I also bought a different clamp setup that I thought would seal better. I think it has a slight leak right now but I'll fix it when I do the clutch in the next couple of months.

Another note. I had to grind slightly where the header comes just a little too close to K-member.

Bottom line, don't mess with them if they are not coated. If they are, and the price is right, go for it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I bought them, and they are coated so thats a good thing. How hard was the install? I know it cant be easy!!!
-Wes

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
twin051302 said:
Well I bought them, and they are coated so thats a good thing. How hard was the install? I know it cant be easy!!!
-Wes
I have only paid for two installations: 1) gears and 2) headers

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
twin051302 said:
-Wes
Time consuming, not overly difficult. I probably had 12 hours in mine, but I did it over the course of four evenings. When I was doing it I second guessed not paying someone to do them. After they were done, I was glad that I did them myself.

My opinion, but I know others that will agree. Buy a new set of stock gaskets. They are expensive, but you don't want to do it again. Use the stock fasteners. You will need to cut down two exhaust studs to clear the tubes and to be able to get the nuts started. I believe they are 13mm, but whatever they are you will find it useful to find a combination wrench that you can sacrifice. Cut it in half with a cutting wheel and you will have a way to tighten a few nuts that are hard to get to.

Oh, now is a good time to put new motor mounts in. They started making a slightly improved version sometime after our cars were built. They were cheap when I bought mine.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard that the k member has to be dropped, is this a must? or just makes it easier?
-wes

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
twin051302 said:
I have heard that the k member has to be dropped, is this a must? or just makes it easier?
-wes
K member down or engine up.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Take the K-member out and lower the engine. It sounds worse than it is. Bottle jacks are a better choice than floor jacks here for lowering the engine. I took my K-member out by myself. You'll need a couple more hands putting it back in.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Did mine in the driveway also. Not too hard. I'd say about 10 hours to complete. I made a bracket to go on my rolling jack to put the K-member back in place. It's heavy and akward and non balanced. I just cut some 2x4's into a bent W shape and it worked like a charm. I was fighting with it until a lightbulb went off and just used the jack/bracket to my advantage. Work smarter not harder. I also opted for the Stage 8 locking bolts. I do NOT want to get up under there again to tighten them. Do it once, do it right...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just had coated Hooker LT's installed and love them. My Mechanic said they were difficult on the driver side.
Watch out for speed bumps.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi
I have ahd the Hooker LT since a month after I got the car. The tranny has been in and out so often it had zippers. I used the stage 8 locking bolts and have not had a leak Prior to the stage 8's I had lots of loose bolts and exhaust leaks. The locking bolts saved me I have not touched a header bolt in 2 1/2 yrs. I have the X pipe removed and custom inline cats installed when I need emission tests. This has worked well for me.
Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts