Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving to pick up some pizza for my dad I was in 2nd at around 4k about to shift into 4th (Bad synchro 3rd). Well, long story short I heard a clunk, a sputter, a boom, and then with smoke, I pulled into the nearest neighborhood, evacuated the car, checked underneath to see oil everywhere. So, in an essence, 1510 had a rough night, and I need to know my options. I've got the KB on it, which I know is worth something, so I'm up for debate on selling it and doing a 4v Swap or just building the 2v back up, forging a couple of things and doing a T-56. Any suggestions? Funny thing too, my dad's first car was a '68 Olds 442 nearly the EXACT same color as the B's, and I've pretty much mirrored his record when it comes to tickets and now the blown motor. I guess he understands that these types of things happen, as he wasn't nearly torn up about it as I am. But I'm in the creative-thinking mode now so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bullittheads,
Dakota

·
Registered
722 Posts
Buy a 03 04 cobra motor......:tb01:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
You already own the KB, so why not redo the engine you have in hand. Build it the way you want it to be, and put the squirrel cage back on. ;-) Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I would think that it would be easier and cheaper to build up a 2v, especially since you already have the KB. I would think that transplanting a 4v in there would be a lot of work and expense.

By the way, what actually blew? Was it related to the KB at all?

Good luck,
Bruce

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Oh no! You are saying that use of a blower will,sooner or later,take it's toll on a stock 4.6? No...it just can't be!
Hope you get it built back up!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
built a 2v with the new trick flow heads!
a set of cams

and you'll be set!

plus don't have to mess with any wiring or modifications :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So since the synchro in my 3650 is out in 3rd My dad is also talking about doing a T-56 Swap at the same time. Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to how much I can find one for?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brucebotti said:
I would think that it would be easier and cheaper to build up a 2v, especially since you already have the KB. I would think that transplanting a 4v in there would be a lot of work and expense.

By the way, what actually blew? Was it related to the KB at all?

Good luck,
Bruce
Well we haven't gotten into the motor yet, but I'm guessing it threw a rod. I heard a crumbling which I'm guessing was the piston cracking against the cylinder walls and being destroyed, but I'm no motor genius. It was fairly cold outside, although the car was warmed up, but i'm willing to bet that the boost was much higher because of the weather.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DHGBULLITT said:
Dakota, did you get my pm?
I did Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to send me all that, I'm waiting for my dad to get back so I can review it with him. Do you think that block will work with the new trickflow heads coming out? Because that may be a possibility while I'm in the market.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
As long as they are 2v they should work. I have the 1.7 K-B and still using it, we are turning up the boost to 14/15 psi.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DHGBULLITT said:
As long as they are 2v they should work. I have the 1.7 K-B and still using it, we are turning up the boost to 14/15 psi.
That's what I'm going to shoot for I think. That with the trickflow heads and a high HP rated block with a T-56 would be IDEAL for me being that I was looking to get a Cobra anyway. I would definitely need to invest into some drag radials though, haha.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
T-56 and DRs are good!!! :lol:
Like i said in the pm if you have any Qs just ask.
My 3650 is still ok even after 130plus passes down the 1/4 mile but it might go anytime.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DHGBULLITT said:
T-56 and DRs are good!!! :lol:
Like i said in the pm if you have any Qs just ask.
My 3650 is still ok even after 130plus passes down the 1/4 mile but it might go anytime.
That was my thought. I planned on leaving the Bullitt eventually for a Terminator, but in it's current condition, I might as well just make it more bad than a Terminator... That way I'll have the sleeper advantage and the "Stealth" coolness factor of the Bullitt. Be that the case though I'd probobly need to pick up a DD, most likely a Mercury Marauder.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just build an aluminum shortblock with the new trickflow heads(they have a set for low compression) slap on the TR56 and the KB and you're good to go!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts