Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got #226 and am curious about the 270 hp rating. Has anyone actually dyno'd one of these things yet? I drove a standard 5 speed GT before ordering my Bullitt and was concerned because of the tepid performance. I was pleasantly surprised when my DHG arrived. By the seat of the pants, it feels as quick as the '99 Camaro SS 6 speed that I traded in, maybe quicker. Is it possible that Ford is playing games with us on the Bullitt? Back in "the day", Ford insisted the BOSS 302 put out 290 hp. Everyone that was tested showed 50 to 75 more. It's difficult to understand how Ford could change the drive pulleys, intake, mass air and who knows what else and only come up with 10 more hp!!! Could it be that they don't want the Bullitt interfering with Cobra sales? I'm searching for a Dyno here in the Kansas City area but haven't found one yet. I would like to know if anyone else has tested theirs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your exactly right about the hunch of Ford "underating" figures again. For instance, the 00 Cobra R. Rated at 385hp and 385lb, it puts that almost exact amount at the wheels. Another instance is the Lightning, Ford advertises it at 380 horsepower, it puts 365 at the wheels, virtualy impossible. My point, Ford has underated the Bullitt, and overated the Cobra.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Lt.Bullitt,just curious about your trade in,Camaro SS for the Bullitt. Did you have problems with the SS? I happened to be driving my truck the other day when a Black SS 6 speed went rumbling by,sounded good but wonder how long it would last! I like my Bullitt,even though it may not be as quick,it is the better all around musclecar, and reminds me more of the 60's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mus408...I did the SAME thing LtBullitt did. I traded a 2000 Camaro SS off for my Bullitt. The SS was loaded. Sebring Silver, T-Tops, 6 speed with a Hurst short throw. I don't know about LtBullitt but mine was riddled with a laundry list of problems. The most prominent of these thought was the pinion seal. I went through 8 pinion seals in the 1 year and 4 months I owned the car and it left me stranded on the road 3 times because the ring and pinion had dried completely. This of course caused a wonderful show of smoke, and ended with my ring and pinion on the road in pieces and my driveshaft and youlk hanging on the ground under my car. It was a fast car, no question. But every time I see a camaro all I can help to think is "half of winning a race is getting out of the driveway" I don't think I will ever trust a GM vehicle again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had all kinds of continuing problems with my '99 SS, so that was a big factor in getting rid of it before the warranty expired. I agree with everything everyone else is saying. I bought the '99 SS in the first place because I was having difficulty finding a Cobra, which was my first choice.
I'd heard the Camaro would soon be going by the wayside and thought "Hey, an SS might be worth something someday and the car did have the muscle I was looking for". My Camaro had big electrical problems. Entire dashboard guages failed, power seat wouldn't work when the rear defroster was on, the Monsoon stereo had horrible vibrating speakers, the paint job was poor (Black) especially on the hood and mechanically, I grew to hate that 6 speed transmission with the skip shift feature with a passion. I tried a skip shift eliminator kit, but that triggered the check engine light in the computer. It grinded gears going into reverse and in typical GM fashion, repeated trips to the dealer for service revealed "NTF- No Trouble Found". So far I've had ZERO problems with the Bullitt.

·
Registered
568 Posts
A good friend of mine had a 98 WS6 6 speed (#190) & he never had any problems with it, although he did take it in to get the hood repainted; it looked terrible by the Ram Air inlets. Definitely a lot faster than the Bullitt & probably just as quick as a newer Cobra. Sound system was real nice too. Incidentally, Lok, this was in Valparaiso, where I grew up. You might've seen the car. He had it from late 97 to mid 99, when he traded it in on a new 4x4. We used to go cruise Indy Blvd quite a bit.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
The guy down the street from me has had a couple of the SS's and never had any problems. Right now he has a new 01 in that new orange metallic color (sunset?) with chrome American Torq Thrusts and Flowmasters....man it looks and sounds good!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I truly believe I just got as SS that wasn't screwed together quite right from the factory. I'm a firm believer that you can get a bad one of just about any make and model. Sounds like we've got a few bum Bullitts out there too, but so far, the build quality of my Bullitt is far better than was my '99 Camaro.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I had a 2000 model SS once. I traded it for a Mustang. The purchase was a big mistake. The t-tops rattled like heck. It drove me crazy. I had Z28's in 94 and 95 with no t- tops and they were much more solid cars. My Bullitt would give my former SS a good run for it's money although the SS would win bone stock. The difference would be that the Bullitt would lose the race very comfortably in the interior compartment and the SS would feel like it is falling apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts