Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
what is it that you are missing on your car Greg?

One of the bullitts that is coming to our meet does inspections. You may try asking him.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you have cats and your not throwing any codes...you can take it anywhere. Mine passed with a full nitrous bottle connected in the trunk!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This is all good info to know. Mines modded and I shipped it over here as soon as I bought it without registering it. I will have to register it when I ship it back of course but I need to find a good shop to hook me up. I want to put some open exhaust cutouts in place of the cats on the Bassani X-pipe for track days.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Interesting this thread reared it's head today ... (LOL)

Just got 1276 inspected yesterday. I'm using a HYPERTECH 93 octane tune with the air filter snorkle removed (only). Passed with flying colors with the tune installed.

I think the emissions requirements in Texas are less strict and more tolerable than in other states (i.e California).

Just to test things, I'm thinking of putting the O/R H-pipe on and MIL(s) and taking it back there to see if they will place it on the machine to see what the difference is. I can always say I changed some emissions parts for better performance as the escuse ... (???)

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They don't sniff the exhaust so if your computer isn't throwing codes you will pass. The readings won't change. They just plug into the computer under the steering column read the computer and pass your car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All 96 and newer cars are not put on the dyno. . . unless the OBDII port doesn't read for some reason. Like droopy said though, if we/they look under the car and do not see any cats, most will fail you for it. Come to think of it, I believe even an aftermarket catted pipe can still fail as the catalytic converters are not OEM or OEM replacement. . .don't quote me on that though. As for the MIL eliminators. . . why spend all that money? Vatozone sells adaptors that set your o2 farther out of the pipe, and it does the same thing, for $5.

I wonder who does the inspections around here. =)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Slow_98GT said:
All 96 and newer cars are not put on the dyno. . . unless the OBDII port doesn't read for some reason. Like droopy said though, if we/they look under the car and do not see any cats, most will fail you for it. Come to think of it, I believe even an aftermarket catted pipe can still fail as the catalytic converters are not OEM or OEM replacement. . .don't quote me on that though. As for the MIL eliminators. . . why spend all that money? Vatozone sells adaptors that set your o2 farther out of the pipe, and it does the same thing, for $5.

I wonder who does the inspections around here. =)
Why use the MIL(s) ... ???

It's like this; the MIL(s) are designed to be used when you have removed your stock cats for whatever reason. Their function is basically to trick the computer in to thinking the cats are still installed when in fact they aren't and therefore no trouble codes/lights are tripped/thrown.

If the computer shows no trouble codes then there is a good chance nobody will do a visual and therefore the vehicle should probably pass inspection.

If you remove the cats you are more than likely going to cause the MIL to come on and this will be an immediate fail (or at least I have been told it is supposed to be failed by the inspector). Some folks have claimed that they have pulled the cats and because they were using unleaded and "clean" gas their trouble codes never tripped but this doesn't seem to be the norm for most cars.

If you are running cats on your car there should be no issue(s) unless you are getting trouble codes due to clogged cats.

I don't know what you are referring to with the "adaptors that set your o2 farther out of the pipe, and it does the same thing, for $5", but if this does the same thing as the MIL eliminators for cars without cats then yes, this does seem cheaper. I might be misunderstanding you about the o2 and if so please set me straight.

I don't see why aftermarket cats would fail simply because they are not the same as stock. In 5 more years or so it would not surprise me if you could no longer get stock replacement cats anyway ... (???)

Just my 2 cents there ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know what MILs do, sorry if I didn't make it clear. I just don't see a point in them when like I said, you can get the adaptors for 5 bucks, and they essentially do the samr thing. Even stranger is I haven't taken the time to run by and get them for mine.

BTW, I'm the inspector GreggVH was referring to in his previous post. =)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Slow_98GT said:
I know what MILs do, sorry if I didn't make it clear. I just don't see a point in them when like I said, you can get the adaptors for 5 bucks, and they essentially do the samr thing. Even stranger is I haven't taken the time to run by and get them for mine.

BTW, I'm the inspector GreggVH was referring to in his previous post. =)
Never seen those before

1 - 16 of 16 Posts