Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some spec I read said that the tank was 15.7 gallons. I nearly ran out of gas Saturday because I misjudged the size. When I filled up an almost empty tank I was only able to put 13.5 gallons in it. My one complaint about the car is the mileage, but a Honda Insight just isn't as much fun to drive. :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is weird. I even double-checked the receipt. I put in 13.68 gallons, and that was after driving 15 miles with the fuel warning light on. My old V-6 was about 14 gallons. Maybe they gave me the wrong tank?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
some fuel warning lights come on sooner than others,....even in the same vehicle. double check it when you run it down next time and remember that you still have 1 1/2 to 2 gallons left...IF you need to!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was reading the manual yesterday (I was bored) and there is a small reserve amount of fuel AFTER you hit the empty mark on the fuel indicator. This is the reason why it seems you have a small tank...it never empties out completely (unless you happen to do so, which I don't recommend). It DOES have a small tank, my first car, my Prelude, had a bigger tank!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can a larger tank be added without looking stupid? And why dont guages ever work right? I can go 150 miles on the first half tank and like 80 miles on the second half. Every car I've had was like this...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, the Low Fuel light comes on when you still have a reserve of a gallon or two left - by design.

As for the the needle moving slower during the first half, rumor has it that Cadillac was the first to design them this way. Apparently, in the mid 1970's during the gas crunch, Cadillac customers would often complain about the poor gas mileage with their big boats. Cadillac recalibrated the fuel guages to show little fuel usage after a fresh fill-up (when most people are likely to be watching the fuel guage). This was supposedly done to fool them into thinking that fuel economy was better than it really was.

I can't believe they thought consumers were that dumb. I also can't believe that they still do this.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, well a lot of Cadillac customers in Florida couldn't punch the right hole either.

My '83 GT had a 14.7 gal capacity.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The tank DOES have a 15.7 gallon capacity as many have pointed out. Please keep in mind running your tank very low on fuel puts an extra strain on the fuel pump as the pump uses the surrounding fuel to cool it! This is especially important in warm climates.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My biggest beef with the Bullitt, other than the stupid location for the seat controls, is the gas tank size. Every time I fill up, it only takes between 12 & 13 gallons & I often drive it close to empty. What's the point of a 15.7 gallon tank if the light goes off while you've still got two gallons left? Plus, when I fill it up once a week & it isn't even my daily driver, I start thinking I'm getting really poor gas mileage, which makes me wonder if Ford didn't embellish their EPA numbers a bit.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You can install the fuel cell from the Cobra R for a larger tank. I imagine it would cost a few bucks though.

Drove to Austin and back and got a shade under 23 mpg. Not bad for only a 1000 miles on the car and a some spirited driving.

Brian

·
Registered
93 Posts
The reserve light on my305 comes on when I have 4 gal. left in the tank. I know that gas tank will hold at least 17 gal. so I am not worried, I can go to L.A. to Bullhead City without filling up at Barstow and that's with air conditioner running.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I gather I am the only nut who tried to squeeze in a little bit extra and had an accidental backwash.....????

:wink:

Damn small tanks!

Paul G.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts