Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new MM&FF mag. dynoed the Bullitt @ 236HP and then Dynoed a stock GT, and found the stock GT to be stronger. The intake on our Bullitts, throttle bodies, and pullies alone should edge out a stock SOHC GT in HP and torque. They even said "UGH" after the finding. I am really confused now. How in the world can we LOSE power with those engine mods. Come on everyone clue me in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the november issue of MM&FF and they alude to a Dyno Chart that I can't find anywhere n the mag. After reading the article which said that a GT with aftermarket exhaust made more power than the BULLITT I started the thread

http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2502&forum=1&12

The editing in that magazine is substandard! I noticed so many mistakes in several different articles. It makes me question the validity of the information.

·
Registered
835 Posts
MM&FF said the GT was stock with an aftermarket exhaust system. So which is it, stock or modified. I say modified. As for the dyno charts, they probably were dropped to make space for the 1/2 page of BS praising GM's products.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-10-03 20:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reason that the standard GT can have the same or more horsepower is because everyone talks peak HP and torque. If you remember, the MM&FF article states that the torque curve is very flat. What they are saying is that the Bullitt is designed to pull hard through more of an RPM range. The following is a theory but I believe I know why the Bullitt produces "only 5 more HP". I offer the following:

Ford set out to produce a car that would have tremendous low end torque, hence the long runner Al intake. The long runners produce more low end torque at the expense of high end HP. The intake alone would actually reduce peak HP. Ford then attempted to get back the high end by adding the twin 57mm and the higher flow exhaust with the otimized pulleys. Ford actually produced an optimized engine. The peak HP numbers mean absolutely nothing without knowing the entire curve for both HP and Torque. We all would like more, but I think we all got more than we realized. People are always trying to find fault, when in reality the BULLITT is a great car!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I still believe there is more in that intake.....Stay tuned over the winter as I dig into mine and do some flow testing!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The Bullitt intake makes 90% torque at something like 2200rpm. If you look at the final numbers, its not impressive. Look at the torque curve (if you can call it that... its pretty damn flat.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
jayp & bob are right-on the money.....I built a stroker for my 55 chevy (sold for my merc)a few years ago 383 with dual quads,edlbrk heads 700r4 trans & after having the car dyno,d I was surprised to see the horse-power# to the rear wheels was so low,but the torque was phenomenal 430 ft/lbs at the rear wheels....this monster would bring both front wheels clean off the ground when it launched....Torque is where its at for a street car guys....I went for the bullitt vs the cobra for looks & low end usable grunt and of-course the special intrest rate...hahaha

·
Registered
393 Posts
MMFF is unreliable to say the least. I never count on their specifics; they have a horrible track record for clarity.

Just like this bullitt article: the whole weight issue debacle they blew, saying the car has "underdrive" pulleys when in reality the crank pulley is stock, and they did us no favors with that test unit. It was a rather weak example.

Those dyno figures they reported were STD corrected numbers, not the more widely accepted SAE numbers. STD usually show 3% higher figures than SAE. I'd say in reality, the #0028 tester was like 229rwhp/268rwtq. Not even remotely the strongest bullitt to roll of the line...

they should have tested mine :grin:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
They also said the Bullitt weighs 3600 -3700 lbs. They should know better than to talk peak numbers. I drove 2000 gt for a while and it is no where near the same. My wife ran a 14.2 @98 mph WITH the traction control on. oopps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts