Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a trip to DC this weekend, our Ford Windstar was the victim of a hit and run which ended up in an small dent and paint splashed on it. When we discovered it, all I could think was, "thank God this didn't happen to my Bullitt". I was driving my Bullitt to places like the grocery store (and parking a mile away, of course) but now I'm scared to even do that! Where can I safely take my Bullitt? I loooooooooove this car so much, and I want to drive it everywhere, but I'm so scared it will have the same fate as my poor Windstar. On the other hand, what is the use of having something if you can't enjoy it? How careful is too careful?

-Christine-
DHG#4930

·
Registered
835 Posts
My Bullitt is more or less my daily driver. I drive our new Expedition one or 2 days to try to break in the engine at highway speeds.

I chose my spot in the parking garage with great care. Unfortunately, it's presently occupied by an unmoving company car. Hope that changes soon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-11-20 10:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
243 Posts
The more carefull you try to be, the more trouble you have. I don't really worry. When I pull into a parking lot, I don't park way in the back away from everyone else. I pull right up near the front, next to a shopping cart rack, and the biggest hunk of junk i can find. Havn't had a problem yet....of course now that i've said this, i'm gonna have a shopping cart slam into me next time. :smile:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am very careful where ever I park my car. I usually try to get up next to a crb where trees and stuff are planted and park way over so anyone next to me has ample room to open their door w/o dinging mine!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm still getting the feel for mine, so I guess I'm still in careful mode.

I've always parked out in the middle of nowhere, even before the Bullitt.

Many people are inconsiderate and do not care if they scratch/dent your $27,000+ car.

Scott D.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nervous? I'll tell you about nervous. I have my Bullitt for two weeks when a guy runs a red light. I can't stop in time and I t-bone him. For the next two weeks my car is in the shop being repaired. I make my first payment on it and I don't even have it. Finally they call me and tell me that it's ready. I have to drive my newly repaired Bullitt on I-635 in Dallas during Friday rush hour. Anyone from Dallas can tell you that under normal circumstances that road will make you nervous, but during rush hour on a Friday you might as well have on a Kamakazi bandana and have said your goodbyes. I was terrified that someone was gonna bump me trying to get into a better lane. I'm still a little wound up about #3175 getting hurt again. I don't think I could stand it if I had to put it back in the shop. Hopefully I'll start to loosen up as time goes on. Hopefully.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
I try to park away from the front if possible. A couple of times I have come out of a store to find someone has parked right next to me with a whole parking lot full of empty spaces open. Amazing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Personally, though I feel I'm a bit paranoid, due to the sudden rise in apparent crime here in Texas, especially in Houston and the surrounding areas, I'm afraid I'm going to get jumped, beat up, and get my car stolen. Other than that, I'm not too worried about people driving here. I usually keep my distance... Except on rush hour mornings...

·
Registered
444 Posts
It seems that the more careful I try to be the more unlucky I am. I too park miles away. No problems yet, but what do I go do this past weekend. I barely caught the corner of a curb. Both tires to top it off. Looks like I'll be getting 2 new rims. Now I'm even more nervous about getting hit or hitting another curb. It's nerve racking.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
I've been careful since I got my '69 back in 1988. It gets really old, but never ends! When I had to drive it every day in rush hour traffic here in the Bay Area, I was so paranoid, I was driving myself crazy.
So, now that I have a brand new car...I'm not as neurotic. Parts will be easier to come by, they won't cost as much as the '69, and I can take it to the Ford Dealer to do the work without wondering if they'll take good care of it. (Or at least be responsible to fix anything they break)
Having said all that....I still park Far Away, avoid all strange things in the road..and I'm ALWAYS watching out for the lunatics on the road!
It never ends, for as long as you care about the car !!!
:smile:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
my Bullitt is my only vehicle and therefore my daily driver so yes, i'm VERY careful where i park it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As you all note ... it can make you crazy trying to "avoid" all the careless folks in the world - much less our own "goofs". I've gotten to the point that I just get to know a really good "paint & body" shop -- and budget routine visits -- kinda like going to the dentist!

tom

·
Registered
579 Posts
I know how you feel

You guys should read my post labeled "5229 almost died"

If we were in the bullitt i wouldnt be here

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is a daily driver also. But I do have the benifit of secured covered parking at work. But I still park way out just to avoid folks. At night the black beauty sleeps in the garage. It's mostly the nuts on the road that worry me. I've never seen so many gravel dump trucks in my life since i got this car! :smile:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
My way of life is WAAAAAAAY out there. I'm Fat I need the walk so I take care of 2 issues my heath and 1007's heath by parking WAAAAAAy out there

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm with you 1007, on the BULLITT DIET.

Here's how it works: First, I dust off 2095 and head out to the supermarket. Then I pick the absolute farthest spot in the lot to park. A nuclear blast won't reach me there. Then I pack for 8 days and 'hoof-it' in for a gallon of milk. Then, hoof out.

I'm gonna lose a lot of weight on these thereapeutic walks.

Every time I look at one of these door panels, I think, "Man, it's like a mirror waiting to be broken."

Then I see a new 'Vette go by with those silly side moldings. There is no way I'd do that to the classic lines of a new 'Vette. I'm really glad that the Bullitt is so clean and brashedly vulnerable.

They'll just have to catch me first!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Careful or so I thought. I only have 700 miles on my car since Sept. I have only drove it to two cars shows and a couple of cruise-ins. I have never taken any where and left it all except for a couple of hours at my grandmothers. So today I decided I would drive it to the Sonic drive-in. So I could pull up stay in my car get my food and of course only eat it after I got home. Sure enough about a mile from home my hood is bobbing up and down. Someone popped the hood and did not latch it. I think it may have been my Husband showing it to his friend 2 weeks ago. Since that was the last time anyone was around it. I would have died if my hood would have blown open. So now on my ritual before I getit out of the garage is to check and see if the hood is closed. Now I have to worry about everything.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
My husband does that all the time with the hood on my 69! He thinks you can close it by just gently dropping it. NOT!!! So when I am on the freeway, I see it bobbing and have to pull over to shut it...:roll: (I guess I shouldn't complain as he does do all the oil changes on the 3 vehicles (soon to be 4)and details all of them AND........... :smile: I am a lucky girl!!

Vicki

1 - 20 of 29 Posts