Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm thinking something like this was asked before, but I've searched for an hour and can't find it in the posts.

My Bullitt has some damage that I found BEFORE I drove it home from the dealer, so I asked about it and fixing it is noted on the "WE OWE" sheet from the dealer. HOWEVER, when hubby and I found the damage and asked about it, the salesman went and asked someone and they didn't know. But, it is body damage that has been painted over. It's in a place I can't describe well on the car, but it's the lower back bumper on the driver's side, the lower half of the bumper, to the right of the back tire. It's where the bottom piece of the bumper meets the top piece and there is a "v" shape there. It looks like something caught on that "v" shape and pulled the bumper out and made a crease just above the marker light that has been patched and painted over. You have to look to see it, not hard but still have to look, then it's obvious. I'm sure it was just a "patch" job and no new bumper was put on (but one WILL be when I take her back!!!) but I'm thinking that someone mentioned a "service" record or something like that, and this would show any previous work done to the car before I bought it "new". I'm disappointed it was sold as "new" but I love her just the same and just wish she was perfect when I got her!

Can anybody help? What specifically do I need to ask FOR when I go back to the dealer and from WHOM? I'm sure there is a record of the repair somewhere and I want to see it!

Thanks for ANY help!!!
:smile: Dona

·
Registered
50 Posts
dona our bullitt has a bit of the plastic that covers the body during shipping it cgoes in to the seam as well this my have been what pulled it apart hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Not sure of the amount, I believe someone mention $2500. and I believe it varies from state to state. If it is under so much they are not require to tell you at the time of sale. Your description sounds like it would be under the cap so they were probably not legaly bound to tell you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so they may not be obligated to tell me, that's fine, but HOW do I find out if it was patched? THIS is what I want to know. I saw another post from someone who was not aware of any "patching" until they got some kind of sheet that noted it had been repaired before they bought it. This is what I want to obtain, this sheet. But HOW?

Thanks for help on THIS.
:smile: Dona

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hi Donna,

I would just approch the service department and ask them to look it up. I have a feeling they will be happy to do this for you. But if the car was repaired before it got to the dealership they may not have a record of it. My car did have some repairs done before getting to the dealership and they looked it up to see what they could find. There was nothing there.

Hope this helps.

Bud

http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bullitt.htm

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will ask the service department. I'm not angry or anything, just curious if it states what might have happened. I assume the white plastic on to protect that fender was pulled off and pulled the thing out and made a crease. Like I said, you have to look for it, but once you find it, it's not pretty.

:smile:

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Bullitt I was going to buy got damaged on my test drive. I was all ready to sign the papers, we went out on a test drive, and 1/2 block later, BAM, a big old chunk of concrete flew up and bashed into the left front fender.

So I said thanks but no thanks, went to my car to leave, pulled out my list of Bullitts that were in the area that I got off www1.forddirect.com , called up the next dealer on my cell phone, asked if they did xplan, and drove on down. 2 hours later i had my bullitt.

my story doesn't have anything to do with why i'm writing this, i just thought it was funny. the point is that the bullitt that got damaged, i'd bet 100-1 that the dealer got it fixed and sold it without disclosing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most dealerships carry a handheld "Paint Reader". (That's not the official name) What it does is measure the thickness of your paint. This determines if you have had any body work done at all, and can also detect any magnetism. If in case Bondo has been added, it then won't magnetize and gives away the repair spot. Talk with the Service Dept or Body shop, I did before I bought mine and now have a repair order to verify the Tranny and Motor that were replaced in mine. I say service because that is where the Body Shop gets any mechanical work done, and they have to disclose that no matter what the cost.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I would take it to a body shop and see what they think. Always good to get as many looks as you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if a record of what was done to correct the body damage would be within the OASIS database of the car? It is my understanding that all of the warranty and service history of the vehicle for the last year that involved the dealer or ford should be in the OASIS report.And that any Ford dealer can give a copy of the OASIS report if they have the VIN of the vehicle.

Or it is possible that if the damage was dealer-caused--that the dealer didnt place the information about the body damage into OASIS? But it wouldnt hurt to have the dealer give you a copy of your OASIS. It also tells you on what day the car was manufactured.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phoneman91 on 2002-01-27 01:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI. my bullitt #1972had a dent in the right front fender and trash all in the black paint job. the dealer offered to fix it. when they started to fix it they told me that it has 6 paint jobs on it. how normal is that.and 7 seven paint jobs on the left rear corner panel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts