Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, those of us that don't work in an air cond. building how hot has it been at work? It reached 101 today at my place of employment. I spray paint for a living, it sucks puting on a Tyvek suit and a spray sock and a respirator on my head, then crawl inside an inclosed tank to paint. My hats off to those who work outdoors in the sun!!

Remember, drink lots of water!!
Stay cool, Mark

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Don't take this wrong, but I am not jealous. I've done my time in ultrahot jobs without airconditioning as a young man. Now that I am old and nearly worn out I think life is too short to do those things if I'm not required.

Please take care of yourself while working in the heat!

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Then hydrate some more!

I'm a wuss, I couldn't do it in the heat, which is why I chose the profession I did. Hats off to those that do.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
We've been in the mid to upper-90's for about 7 straight days. I didn't pay much attention to them the first couple of days, but the heat indices have been running 105-118 around this area for the last five days...depending on exactly where you are. And yeah, I have to work in it. I'll be glad when it returns to normal, 90 degrees with a heat index of less than a 100. I'm getting kind of tired of changing shirts four times a day.

I had to move about 17,000 lbs of river rock over the last few evenings. Completely inaccessible with anything other than a wheelbarrow. I finished last night at 10:30 and the heat index was still over 100.

·
Registered
78 Posts
119* by my locker the other day. I'd say close to 130* in other places. I work in a corn processing plant, with lots of motors turning equipment.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I work in an air conditioned office these days, but in my youth! I worked for a Tile Company glazing custom tile! We had 3 high heat kilns in metal buildings! It was ALWAYS oround a 100 in the buildings. And the town I lived in could get in the upper as hi as 112 in the summer months. But only for a few days ;-)... In those days I drank a lot of water! And we always had fans running and to doors open! Maybe that's why I was so skinny back then :rotfl:

BTW I was a car painter for years and later went to work for a Power Utility painting tanks, and towers! I don't miss it at all. WAY TO HOT! ;-)... I do miss painting cars though. I was BAD and didn't wear my masks when I painted the cars and now I get sick if I spray anything ;-(

Thanks

Bud

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
on a ladder most days the last few weeks, extracting bats and other dangerous wildlife, in 105-115 heat indexes, with ambient temp of 98-105 degrees...

and i had walking pneumonia for the first two weeks of august, but the boss still expected the animals removed, i took a total of three days off over that first weekend of the month, and still can't stop the coughing yet...

shaun

·
Registered
923 Posts
I moved away from Maine because I couldn't take the cold any more. I'm now in Central Florida and love it! I rarely use the AC in my Bullitt and I keep the house at 84 (hey, the cat should be comfortable) I sit in a somewhat cold office during the day and I can't wait to get outside when the day is over just to warm up and drive the Bullitt home with the windows open.

Oh yeah, the shifter knob in the Bullitt does get HOT when the thermometer reads 130 inside the car...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I used to be an electrician. The first job I ever had was building Apartments. and when your working on the second floor roof before they put the 3rd on, they cover it with oil. That + 120 degree weather is not fun at all. Thats why I love my job now as a manager of accounts, its much cooler. although at the end of the day i loved my job as an electrican better because I was physically tired and got good sleep at night. with this job im mentally tired and unable to get good sleep at night because of the stress.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
KevTrish said:
I moved away from Maine because I couldn't take the cold any more. I'm now in Central Florida and love it! I rarely use the AC in my Bullitt and I keep the house at 84 (hey, the cat should be comfortable) I sit in a somewhat cold office during the day and I can't wait to get outside when the day is over just to warm up and drive the Bullitt home with the windows open.

Oh yeah, the shifter knob in the Bullitt does get HOT when the thermometer reads 130 inside the car...

Kevin-I'm the opposite-I'm okay with the winters but I start to whine & complain when it hits 90 degress up here, all 3 days per year :lol:

Kidding aside the older I get and the more sub zero days each winter the more I understand why people move south. Perfect for me would be the 65 degree days in Mid sept to mid oct. BTW-if you come back up here and have time to have a cold one with a fellow Bullitthead look me up....John R

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
I used to be an electrician. The first job I ever had was building Apartments. and when your working on the second floor roof before they put the 3rd on, they cover it with oil. That + 120 degree weather is not fun at all. Thats why I love my job now as a manager of accounts, its much cooler. although at the end of the day i loved my job as an electrican better because I was physically tired and got good sleep at night. with this job im mentally tired and unable to get good sleep at night because of the stress.
Aaron you must have been drained after working a day doing your former job in that Florida heat. I guess we adapt to whatever we need to but I don't know if I could have done that. I hear you about the stress of your current job keeping you awake. I think lots of us on this board deal with that, heck, look at some of the post times in our threads.....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I do computer programming in a nice comfortable office building now, but I used to work for the Burlington City Schools when I was a teen. Used to have to push mow school lawns in 90+ degree temperature. Plus, this is in North Carolina, where the humidity is at a constant you-got-to-be-f'in-kidding-me percent! :mad:

·
Registered
771 Posts
My turn...

Last shift, I spent most of the evening 10PM to 4AM sitting on the bumper of a Fire Engine in full gear and air pack on a Haz-Mat call. We were on stand-by rescue. Temp: 89 Degrees / Heat index: 95 Degrees / Winds out of SW @ 9 MPH.

But shift before has that beat. At 3 in the afternoon in 118 Heat Index, I spent the afternoon working a house fire. Thermal Imager reported 750-850 Degrees. It was HOT! :)

This is just another in the long chain of shifts we've run at least one house fire a shift.

I'm sitting in my living room right now with the A/C set at 69. :)

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
KevTrish said:

Put a sock on that knob! Ummm...shifter knob! Or an aluminum foil tent. It helps, not perfect, but it helps.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
FDWheelMan3687 said:
My turn...

Last shift, I spent most of the evening 10PM to 4AM sitting on the bumper of a Fire Engine in full gear and air pack on a Haz-Mat call. We were on stand-by rescue. Temp: 89 Degrees / Heat index: 95 Degrees / Winds out of SW @ 9 MPH.

But shift before has that beat. At 3 in the afternoon in 118 Heat Index, I spent the afternoon working a house fire. Thermal Imager reported 750-850 Degrees. It was HOT! :)

This is just another in the long chain of shifts we've run at least one house fire a shift.

I'm sitting in my living room right now with the A/C set at 69. :)
Jerry-add this to the long list of why your profession is truly heroic. While it is possible for some warm weather professions to obtain at least some relief from the heat by wearing clothes that help at least a little you guys are forced to do the exact opposite. You wear what you wear no matter if it's 120 degress and 95% humidity. Then to add to that you go towards the source of unbearable heat to do your jobs!!!! You sir, are a better man than I. Thank goodness there are people like you to do the work that has to be done so we can live safely...John R

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Put a sock on that knob! Ummm...shifter knob! Or an aluminum foil tent. It helps, not perfect, but it helps.
I used to use a Crown Royal bag when I had my billet knob in my old fox coupe. Worked great, but looked pretty getto. :lol: In the mountains around here, there are tons of gem mines that you can stop at and go sift for gems and gold. They have these little felt bags, about the size of a golf ball, that are black in color and have a draw string for closure. I plan to pick one of those up next time I'm on vacation up there and use that to cover the shifter knob on those hot, sunny days. :cool:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
Aaron you must have been drained after working a day doing your former job in that Florida heat. I guess we adapt to whatever we need to but I don't know if I could have done that. I hear you about the stress of your current job keeping you awake. I think lots of us on this board deal with that, heck, look at some of the post times in our threads.....:lol: :lol:
I was drained, but It felt great. At least I felt like I accomplished something at the end of the day. Here in the office, it feels like I put out fires all day, then when I'm driving home, My Phone beeps like crazy with all the work realated E-mails.

I'm sure if I had a home computer I would be on here late at night. Sometimes I get on, on my Treo but rarely.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I have something right here in my desk that would work perfectly for that. One of the girls in the office gave me a birthday present that came in a bag just like that. I never thought of it. Great idea!

Remember the German agent in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" who had the inscription burned into the palm of his hand? That's how Bullitt owners identify themselves to other Bullitt owners at shows. We all have the shift pattern burned in reverse in our right palms.

KO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts