Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there were 42k fastbacks built in '68, a google search told me that there are 2,537 S-Code engines out there, but does anyone know how many '68 Fastbacks GT390 in factory highland green were built? I know it's a needle in a haystack, but that would be an amazing piece of history to have a VIN ready Bullitt....and not have to pay $3.4 million for it!

·
Premium Member
18,416 Posts
I believe you can count on at least 2. ;-)

Really, there were several in HG. But I'd certainly say that while green was more popular then, than now, it's wasn't many with the 390 4bbl. I'd almost be willing to bet that all the similar cars have been snatched up and restored to perfection. As for non-390 cars in HG, there were gobs of 302 GTs. To say how many would be purely a SWAG.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I did a little Marti Report searching and one car showed the following:

317,423 1968 Mustangs
42,582 were fastbacks, of them
6016 came with 390-4V engines
3708 of those had 4-speed manual transmissions
581 of them were painted Highland Green...

It went on to further narrow things, but that particular car didn't say anything about being a GT (early 68 production wasn't automatically a GT with the S-code). It was an Elite Marti Report, so it was narrowing things down and eventually came up that the particular car was a 1 of 1.

Interesting note, I read somewhere (vintage Mustang site) that there an additional 405 cars that fit into the fastback, S-code 390 and 4-speed category, but they were sent off to Shelby and converted to 428s.

Edit - I never got a picture of the Elite Marti Report for Sean's car. It may have the breakdown such that it includes only GT equipped cars with the same body, paint, engine and transmission. It will be less than the 581 that includes the early non-GT cars.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
On the movie car marti report it says
5488 paint code
4113 390 4spd
355 paint trim code
12,087 gt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts