Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think it was stupid of Ford to offer black. It cheapens the whole idea. Also, they should have put the louvres on as well as the hood. Trust me, our cars would be woth a lot more and increased in value. Oh, another 85 h.p. would have been nice.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Blackmax said:
I think it was stupid of Ford to offer black. It cheapens the whole idea. Also, they should have put the louvres on as well as the hood. Trust me, our cars would be woth a lot more and increased in value. Oh, another 85 h.p. would have been nice.
Ford had no choice - some sort of federal discrimination law requirement!:lol:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I think it was stupid of Ford to offer black. It cheapens the whole idea.
The last time that I checked, the Bullitt was a tribute car, not a replica. If it were a replica, it would have no BULLITT badging whatsoever and look exactly like the original. A tribute car is just that -- a tribute to the car in the movie. It honors the tradition of Bullitt's original Mustang, but doesn't replicate it. That is why Ford made Highland Green, Black and True Blue Bullitts.

As for collectible value, rarity trumps most everything else. Highland Green Bullitts are rare, but Black Bullitts are very rare. In that sense, a Black Bullitt will probably be worth more -- a long, long time from now. I don't agree that Black Bullitts "cheapen" the value of Highland Green ones, and in fact, the opposite may be true. Black Bullitts, and discussions of Black Bullitts, help to keep all Bullitts in the spotlight. And it that sense, the value of every Bullitt is probably somewhat higher as a result. But I wouldn't hold my breath, waiting for the collectible value to skyrocket -- better to just drive them!:smile: OK, off my soapbox...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Blackmax said:
IMO it was all about marketing and cost for Ford. I think that Ford recognized that if it were to make a tribute car of the 68 Mustang GT 40 years later, it would need to identify the market for such a car while utilizing the 2008 retro body style and the PY/PX paint it was saving for exclusively the Bullitt edition. At the same time, Ford knew that it could make the 2008 Bullitt by utilizing mostly parts already available - whether they were in the GT500 parts bin or the 2010 parts bin. Any costs associated for the designing of, re-tooling for, and manufacturing of the new uniquely Bullitt parts would therefore be minimal. Like in 2001, I believe that the Ford Marketing Department knew that there would only be a niche market for a tribute Bullitt but there already was an existing market for the black Mustangs, so it offered the car in both colors.

And from what I am reading on these posts, it appears that the Bullitt has created some very satisfied owners - no matter what color of car you may own.:wink:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the black ones almost as much and would own one if I had to. But would Dodge put out D.H.G. color tribute Charger?

·
Registered
49 Posts
B;lck, green, whatever. I'm not much into the movie thing, just really like the understated coolness of the car. And just preferred black. The thing sure is a pain to keep clean though!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Blackmax said:
I love the look of the black ones, but I agree that if the Bullitt name was important enough to be the marketing gimmick for these cars -- then one color DHG, a GT500 vented hood, and some more HP would have really set the car in a different leaugue. These cars will depreciate like the really nice 2003 MACH1 cars before them. Great car, I love mine, but I do not expect it to hold strong resale value.

·
Registered
218 Posts
mogul2us said:
B;lck, green, whatever. I'm not much into the movie thing, just really like the understated coolness of the car. And just preferred black. The thing sure is a pain to keep clean though!
Most nice thing are alot of work to keep in pristine condition

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Dyno Don said:
A Bullitt sighting of any color is a rare occasion. I just don't see that many on the road. Reason - pure numbers, with only a set amount made, the chances of seeing one is a shot in the dark (in Bullitt speak that is).

That said, it is much easier to recognize a Highland Green S197 on the road from the Black. You see a green late model, it means only one thing - BULLITT. If one sees a Black S197 Mustang, is it a GT, a V-6 or Bullitt? Only a closer inspection will reveal the true identity.
So true! V-6 with the Sport pkg. is very similar in appearance to a Bullitt...if they are BLACK. Would have been better to have just the HG paint color.:neutral: No misidentifications!

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,441 Posts
There are BLACK Bullitts?

:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
NO Just Black Mustangs with a Bullitt packages.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,441 Posts
????

BlackPony said:
NO Just Black Mustangs with a Bullitt packages.
I've searched my car, top to bottom, inside and out, and under, and I haven't found this "package" you speak of, let alone one that's marked "Bullitt." :confused:

What's inside of it? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
OK now that is FUNNY!
I like it :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought 3 Bullitts, two in HG and one in Black all same specs and kept the Black and sold the Highland Greens. Now that is real proof of cool looks and to be one of less then thousand made.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i thought about a trade in for a nice blue gt500, but i see to many of them in my area. i have seen one bullitt .. at a stealership parked it was a sad sight

·
Registered
138 Posts
Having a black 01, the HG color does not seem that important to me. I know growing up, black and red were always the colors to have for your sports car and I still think that way today. My Bullitt looks sinister in black. It is dingless, without swirl marks and looks as flawless as polished glass. I couldn't imagine getting the same feeling with a pristine green colored car, color matching the movie or not. I'm sure when we all saw the movie for the first time, we were awed by the Mustang 390 and not the green color.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts