Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Bullitt Club, and someone may have already addressed this, but I'm curious as to how many of you bought your car because of the movie, and how many had never heard of it and just wanted a "cool" special edition mustang. I'm 38 and have always loved the movie chase scene, and I have owned a 68 Stang for over 20 years. My salesman didnt even know the history--he just thought Ford picked a cool "boss-like" name for a limited production car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm right there with you bull1253. Same age (38) and always loved the movie and remember my dad taking me to see it when it first came out. I have always liked mustangs and have wanted another GT (had a '90) but thought I was getting a little too old. This car changed my mind. So yes, the tie-in with the movie affected my purchase as well.

Of the five (5) Alabama Bullitt Heads on this site, so far, three (3) of you are from Tuscaloosa, or close by. What is it you guys know that the rest of the state does'nt?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I dont know, as this is usually a "Ford-deficient" area. I actually had to tell the dealership about the car, and they first said no because they thought it was a SVT product. I worked harder to buy it than they did to sell it. An NO ONE anywhere recognizes the tiein to the movie, and the younger ones never heard of Steve McQueen.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I bought mine because I had A green 67 fastback in high school & the movie

Jeff

DHG 1554
'79 T/A
100mm densecharger

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT-1554 on 2001-10-25 17:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
Movie heritage was a big part of it for me. However, now that I've had the car awhile, I can say that I like it better than a "normal" GT enough that I'd have bought it regardless. I watched it with my dad (on TV, I'm only 30) when I was a kid, loved the chase scene, and have always wanted a Mustang.

No one recognizes the movie, perhaps, but everyone loves it. I get LOTS of conversations and comments from friends and strangers who are Mustang or car enthusiasts.

Joe

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Call me sentimental or what ever, but bought the Bullitt over the Cobra for 2 reasons.

1. The BULLITT movie - car will be more special as the years go on. Also, nicer driving and looking car than the Cobra, IMHO.

2. Cobra was not practical for the wife and son to be in for the noise.

Also, bought a new 1979 Firebird Formula because of Smokey and The Bandit movie. (Could'nt afford a TransAM back then)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought the car because I had been wanting a mustang for quite sometime and felt this special edition Bullitt had a lot for the money and was more or less unique. I had bought a 1967 fastback 390 new and sold it because the kids were getting bigger and needed more room.Yes, I've always liked the movie and have it on DVD, but it is not the reason I got good ole #3601.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Heritage was only part of it for me. My other car is my '67 fastback. Not a '68, but hey, the '67 was FREE. (Dad gave it to me in unrestored condition)

My previous daily driver was a '86 Ranger. I had even taken a '01 Ranger for a test drive...I was going to replace a Ranger with another one.

All the while, I had a clipping from USA today on the front of my fridge...it was a review of the new Bullitt Mustang.

I found and bought #3401. :smile: No regrets!

I just got a DVD player and the first movie i bought for it was BULLITT...so yeah, I'm a fan of the Bullitt heritage.

Scott D.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I love the movie but usually I detest "Hollywood" hype. My first thought was "That's the best looking Mustang made in recent history". Then, during the test drive, I realized that rather than being a stylized symbol of the past, it was indeed a modern tribute that had the guts to match the looks.

In short, I bought the car not for its link to the movie, but because it's a car that Steve McQueen himself would love to drive hard.

That reminds me...while driving to work last night I had a "Music of the War Movies" compilation CD playing and I was listening to the march from "The Great Escape". Images of McQueen bouncing the baseball and racing the motorcyle came to mind. Mix that with the Bullitt exhaust note cruising at 70mph and you'll know why I was smiling.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Movie was part of my reason for buying the Bullitt. I saw the movie when I was much younger (won't say) and I had a 65 2 +2 fastback. Not exactly a '67, but you get the picture.

I did the initial research, liked what I saw and read and then "gotta have it". After one call to my sales person, he researched the ordering specs and within one week we had the car ordered.

Oh, I also bought the DVD w/ movie posters,etc. :-B

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dad bought a 1968 Olds 442 just before the movie came out. I had just gotten my driver's license when the movie came out. Watching the chase scene on the wide screen was the most intense automotive experience I had ever had. I was weaned on muscle cars. Dad always scratched his head trying to figure why the rear tires on the 442 wouldn't hold tread. I wish I had that car today.

Anyway, I bought 2404 because of the tie-in to the movie, the retro look, the limited production, the sentimental journey, and the pure thrill of raw power. Oh yeah, also because it just felt good!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The movie tie-in was only aboout 10-15% of my overall decision to buy. The factory mods and mechanicals were the big factor.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The car just reminded me of my teen years. I couldn't afford a stang back then. Then I got married (no regrets) and had kids (no regrets) and still couldn't justify a stang. Then you hit your 40s. You are at the peak of your earning capacity. The kids are almost out of school. The house is almost paid for. Finally you can afford to do something for yourself. So I bought my first stang at 41. This is the 3rd stang I have purchased. The Bullitt (I call it my Beast) was a way of getting the car I could only dream about when I was a teenager. Could have bought a Cobra but having something that connected me with my teen years got the better of me. I have no regrets. I also have the DVD and watch the chase scene at least once a week.

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-10-25 19:28 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I bought it,in part because of the movie,I was 14 when it was shown,and also because the Bullitt was a different package of performance and style,plus down right tough looking! It balances out my Mustang collection......One for those Friday street cruises and street night shootouts,the 85, and one for those sunny Sunday twisty road cruises. Both are BAD in their own right!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Never saw the movie untill after purchasing the car, had not even heard of it. While researching GT's I found articles on the Bullitt. I bought the bullit because
1. Color
2. Performance package
3. My wife said she did not want to hear me for the next 10 years say that I COULD HAVE HAD ONE OF THOSE every time we saw one on the road.
Hell did not even drive it or any other Mustang for that matter untill we were done with the paper work. Should have had a picture of my face when we fired it up for the first time. The next look would have been where the hell is reverse. 1-2-3-4-5 R? can't get there from 5.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My girlfriend went with me to pick up #4456. I followed the sales woman to the prepping area and when she turned it on to back it out for me my girlfriend said that the expression on my face was that of a kid at christmas. She said she will always remember that look on my face as i heard that VROOOM for the first time :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
The movie did a play a part in my decision to buy the Bullitt along with the fact that I live in San Francisco. When I saw the car on Motor Trend last Saturday, I went on the web the next morning to see if any of the local dealers had any. San Bruno Ford had three of them. Two with Highland Green and one Black. I selected the Black Bullittat first but changed my mind at the last minute. I was sitting in the chair with the salesman across from me filling out some information when I went off to la la land and starting thinking about the movie and the green GT390 chasing that 68 charger that was in the movie. This made me change my mind and I'm happy that I did.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm a young guy (28), but my old man is a McQueen fanatic. Love the movie,love the car, love the chase - but it's a sweet ride that's why I bought it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In 1980, I missed out on a 70 white challenger. (yeah like the one in Vanishing Point)
http://www.vanishingpointcar.com/P0002034a.jpg
In 1987, I had to pass on the Buick Grand National. (Short timer in the ARMY)
http://www.tctc.com/~avblefty/87gnx.htm
This year (2001) My brother-in-law told me about this limited edition Mustang Bullitt. I knew by the name it had to have something to do with the movie. When I found it on the Internet I was hooked on the looks. Then when I read it was more than just cosmetics and was going to be produced in limited numbers just in 2001, I was really interested. So I guess the name got my attention because of the movie, but I never would have bought it, if it was nothing more than mere cosmetics. Plus, I’m also 38 and I think mid life crises, plus never having a real rod had a lot to do with it. It was just my time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt1024 on 2001-10-25 22:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt1024 on 2001-10-25 22:58 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 39 Posts