Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many cans of refridgerant does it take to recharge our A/C systems? What other equipment is required to do this, and is it easy to do?

Also, has anyone used R-12a refridgerant in place of R-134a?

Background: I have had my A/C system recharged 3 times over the past 5 years and it needs it again. The first time, they found a leaky seal, but the last 2 times, they couldn't find any leaks. I don't really want to pay a shop $150 again just to recharge the system.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Most auto parts stores carry a do-it-yourself kit which includes a sealant. I used one on my beater jeep. I can't remember the name sorry.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ya just go down to you auto parts store and buy the cans or even target or walmart.

I bought one of the cans that had the gauge and house on it. But the end part that attaches to the car was plastic and busted apart on me. SO I bought the gauge and house part separate that has a brass end. Then you just buy the cans and screw them on.

Its really easy to do. You just turn the car on run it with max ac on for about 3 minutes. then hook up to the low pressure side of the ac...im not sure where the Bullitts is haven't had to do it but just follow the ac lines and you will find a black cap covering a connection and the house will only connect to the low pressure side and to nothing else. Read how your gauge works but I think they are all green is low blue is what you want and I fill the bird up max blue and yellow and red means there are problems too much pressure. So you pull the trigger to release it into the system (shake the can first and I do it as I am adding) then let up and see what it says. Keep going until its full.

I dont know how much it will take to bring your charge back but the small cans cost between 7-10 dollars. I use arctic freeze in the firebird (it has a leak that I need to go looking for after summer is over) It has the oil and sealant in it so you just need this one can.

and as far as I know you can not change back to R-12 system cant handle it. Even the conversion kits from R-12 to R-134 are tricky.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ya just go down to you auto parts store and buy the cans or even target or walmart.

I bought one of the cans that had the gauge and house on it. But the end part that attaches to the car was plastic and busted apart on me. SO I bought the gauge and house part separate that has a brass end. Then you just buy the cans and screw them on.

Its really easy to do. You just turn the car on run it with max ac on for about 3 minutes. then hook up to the low pressure side of the ac...im not sure where the Bullitts is haven't had to do it but just follow the ac lines and you will find a black cap covering a connection and the house will only connect to the low pressure side and to nothing else. Read how your gauge works but I think they are all green is low blue is what you want and I fill the bird up max blue and yellow and red means there are problems too much pressure. So you pull the trigger to release it into the system (shake the can first and I do it as I am adding) then let up and see what it says. Keep going until its full.

I dont know how much it will take to bring your charge back but the small cans cost between 7-10 dollars. I use arctic freeze in the firebird (it has a leak that I need to go looking for after summer is over) It has the oil and sealant in it so you just need this one can.

and as far as I know you can not change back to R-12 system cant handle it. Even the conversion kits from R-12 to R-134 are tricky.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have not had this problem on the bullitt, but based on the same problem with a different car, Your problem possibly is in the actual fitting you screw into! There is a little valve that you push-in when you screw the can in. These get lodged open after a few services and need changed. Even screwing the caps back on really tight won't work. You have to pay someone to replace these valves ...

You can never find the leak when you hook up to the valve, because the leak is sealed when you screw into the valve all the way, thus their problem finding your leak!

just my .02, I have not looked at the bullitt system, but if it's "typical" to other's I've seen then this is a possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GreggVH said:

Thanks for the detailed instructions! So, it sounds like I need to buy both a gauge and at least one can of all-in-one refridgerant, oil and sealant. Is that right?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
yep thats where you need to start. Then see if it holds the charge. I know that the target here has the cans for 7.99. They are small cans it seems the larger cans only come with the junky gauges. But I use one single little can to add to the firebird about 3 - 4 times before I need another one. It seems to be fixing the leak slowly also as the time between refills is getting furthar and furthar apart.

P.S. DO NOT OVER FILL. add small amounts at a time until you learn how much it takes from each hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts