Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I owned three C5s, 98 vert 6 spd, 99 vert 6 spd, and a 01 coupe 6 spd. I was also active on the Corvette forum,(FastestC5). Got rid of my 01 because it used oil. Thought I would switch sides only to inherit a NOISEY engine that a few on this forum are experiencing. So the other side turned out to be not so rosy after all.

Hate to say it, but my next car just might be foreign . :eek:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt4995 on 2002-01-18 06:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
Previous car was a Y2K Millenium Yellow Corvette Coupe. I also was active on the Corvette Forum as YLOFVR. I LOVE my Bullitt but I would've loved to keep the Vette.....it was an AWESOME car.

Mark

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Traded my 1999 Corvette Hardtop (torch red)
for DHG 3875 at the local Ford dealer.
The C5 was an awesome car but the Bullitt swept me off my
feet!

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-01-18 15:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, the C5 was cool: mine got repurchased by GM for burning oil/backfiring. In 2001 they finally figured out the problem: ring flutter at high RPM light load. They introduced a new Navier-lipped ring (Navier-Stokes developed the well-known fluid dynamics equations). I've heard mixed reviews on the effectiveness of the new ring design.

I've always like the sound of Ford's V8's (IMO so far only beaten by the Ferrari F355), and the Bullitt is a great car for daily driving. I've gotten more looks, compliments, and queries while driving the Bullitt than I did the entire time I owned the C5. Another funny thing is that Harley owners like Mustangs/Bullitts the same way they like C5s (They wave).

The Bullitt also has a "fun" drive quality to it, and I don't have to worry about scraping the front on every dip or driveway. The only thing I really miss from the C5 is ~370HP (minor mod LS1). I'd still like to acquire a Z06 (and keep the Bullitt for daily driving).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrivingSimulators on 2002-01-18 21:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
437 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-18 21:28, DrivingSimulators wrote:
Yup, the C5 was cool: my got repurchased by GM for burning oil/backfiring. In 2001 they finally figured out the problem: ring flutter at high RPM light load. They introduced a new Navier-lipped ring (Navier-Stokes developed the well-known fluid dynamics equations). I've heard mixed reviews on the effectiveness of the new ring design.

I've always like the sound of Ford's V8's, and the Bullitt is a great car for daily driving. I've gotten more looks, compliments, and queries while driving the Bullitt than I did the entire time I owned the C5. The Bullitt also has a "fun" drive quality to it, and I don't have to worry about scraping the front on every dip or driveway. The only thing I really miss from the C5 is ~370HP (minor mod LS1). I'd still like to acquire a Z06 (and keep the Bullitt for daily driving).
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I am thinking in the same line as you are. I am thinking about grabing a Z06. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan,

"Any thoughts?": my only gating factor is I'm now married and my next purchase has to be a bigger house with a two or three car garage.

If you want a Z06, it just depends on how much you want to spend. I'd try to get a later model (more HP, possible ring fix), although you can mod an earlier one (used) to equal or pass the factory later models. A buddy has a C5 98 Indy PaceCar convertible: he's had ZERO problems, and burned NO oil. I'd rather have minor rattle noise for a few minutes when cold than an oil burning/backfiring engine...

If you want the full Corvette Experience, order your car just the way you want it (generally the case as new C5's have rarely been in stock on dealer lots), and get the Museum delivery (you have to fly out to the Corvette Museum (Kentucky?), but I hear the experience is worth it if you are a car buff.

Definitely check out http://www.corvetteforum.com. Ken Fichtner hangs out there (he is a GM dealer; gives great deals on new C5 sales, etc.). Lots off other interesting stuff for car buffs and Corvettes in general.

Jimmy Ray,

A Chevette? Uhhhhh. No. An Opel GT, yes.
Beer? Probably going to be a martini evening. But you can FedEx me what's left over after tonight. :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrivingSimulators on 2002-01-18 21:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the reply DrivingSimulators. As of late, I have been looking more and more into the 02 Z06s. They are a sweet car and can't beat the price for the performance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan,

If you've got the cash (and time if there are quality issues), and have another car for a daily driver, go for it. The Z06 rides very tight, and would get old as a daily driver. But as a fun car, it's awesome.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks again for the reply. Yeah, it would be tuff having a Z06 as a daily driver. I'll keep you posted and probably ask questions down the line. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Nice one FASTBULLITT! :lol:

·
Registered
413 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-18 21:33, Jimmy Ray wrote:
Does it count my mon owned a Chevette? Beer anyone

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to have a Corvette, but I left it in the mall parking lot one hot summer day, and that damn thermosetting resin let go. I came out of the mall to get in my car and it had become a Chevette :smile:

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
HA! HA! HA! Another good one! :lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FASTBULLITT,

Let's see here:

0-60: C5 Corvette wins
60-0 " "
1/4 Mile " "
Low Cost " "

Hauling Cargo: C5A Galaxy wins
Top Speed: " "
Range " "
Sound output " "

What would happen if Lockheed had made cars? What if Kelly Johnson had designed them at the Skunk Works? See http://popularmechanics.com/science/aviation/1999/9/skunk_works/. My guess: fastest cars ever, undetectable with radar or lidar, and top secret. There would be rumors about them, and no one would know for sure if they really existed. There would be lots of stoplight stories of being "blown away" by some car with flat black paint with zero exhaust noise, no headlines or taillights (using infrared+nightvision to see at night), no badging and zero chrome :wink: . The code name for the car at Lockheed would be the Lockheed UFO...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had several Vettes, the last 2 being a 1995 Yellow Coupe that I sold because I made the mistake of trying to like an Automatic and the Color got on my nerves after a while.
Before that I had a 1990 Midnight Blue 6speed convertable...My Black Bullitt is at least as fast as the 2 Vettes, as for the newer Vettes and the Z06 yeah they may be faster, but they are also a dime a dozen on the roads where I live, ( not to mention The Bullitt is better and tougher looking ) and so far I've only seen 3 Bullitts on the road and I travel 120 miles rount trip to work between North Bergen County New Jersey and Mid Long Island, NY. ( not with the Bullitt though )I want an F150 Lightning for my commuter vehicle to replace my Chevy Tracker!
:grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts