1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
IF IT HAS NOT BEEN TITLED TO A PRIVATE OWNER, IT IS LEGALLY NEW. And the dealer won't listen to anything else.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have first hand exp with this. I wanted to buy a new Acadia for the wife. Found a fully loaded one with 6k. It was driven by a GM Exec. but not titled. The dealership wanted MSRP for a new one. It was a 2007, and the 2008 with the same options was the exact same price.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
fromthecoast said:
I have first hand exp with this. I wanted to buy a new Acadia for the wife. Found a fully loaded one with 6k. It was driven by a GM Exec. but not titled. The dealership wanted MSRP for a new one. It was a 2007, and the 2008 with the same options was the exact same price.
Now that IS CERTAINLY going too far. Test drives, OK, but not this. I suppose the dealer could argue "new" until maybe 150 miles but after that ......

The dealer should be reported to Ford and the BBB.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, then the dealer wouldn't get my business, but I'm sure some poor schmuck would pay retail for it. A few miles is fine, but with 50 miles on it, it has definitely been driven, and I'm doubting it was driven nicely. That's just me, though.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Yes, someone probably ripped on it hard ... never intending to buy. Check the tires all the way around for and signs that the nubbies have been burned off.

If I were to buy a new one, it would have to be agreed that I would be called when the truck pulled in. I would want to see it driven off. Then, no .. more .. miles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When we bought my wife a new Tahoe a couple of years ago, Chevrolet was doing the Employee Discount sale. There were two Tahoe's that were similar, but one on had about 40 miles on it and the other one had about 5,000 miles. The employee discount price was within a couple hundred bucks of each other. We bought the fully loaded one with only 40 miles on it. They refused to lower the price on the other one!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang... I don't see why dealers would think you'd be stupid enough to pay the same for such a used vehicle? I would definitely check that Bullitt over and if the "nubbies" as so eloquently put before, are worn off, I'd pass...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
the buy it now price is over MSRP, and likely the reserve is too.

Sometimes Ford does pull a car at random for quality/road testing. In that case it gets a separate sticker stating that, and the miles driven. It usually doesn't get to 50 miles though

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
PhotoRick said:
IF IT HAS NOT BEEN TITLED TO A PRIVATE OWNER, IT IS LEGALLY NEW. And the dealer won't listen to anything else.
My thoughts exactly. Besides, they might have recieved the car this way.:rolleyes: :exclaim:

·
Registered
591 Posts
My Bullitt had 68 miles on it sitting on the dealer lot when I bought it. I drove the one right beside it which only had 4 miles on it. I was pretty hard on the car w/ 4 miles (and it had a check engine light that stayed on, the the traction control button was not working properly, and its original Bullitt shifter knob had been stolen). My car w/ 68 miles on it was the better choice and still 'new'. Whoever got the other Bullitt, I'm sorry for the beating I put on your car :) . Actually, that car was already sold when I drove it. When we got back, another salesman was on the lot looking for it to put the sold tag on it so nobody would drive it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A new Ford can be still be sold as "new" as long as it has never been titled and has no more than 6,000 miles on it. These higher miles "new" cars are referred to as demonstrators (demo's). Ford dealership owners and oftentimes the management get to have a demo as one of the perks of their employments. The dealership I work at doesn't have demo's, but some other nearby dealers do. When we pull a search in Ford's system for a vehicle at other dealers, the demo's are clearly labeled as such so that we don't go fetch one instead of a fresh, low miles rig.

There really isn't anything wrong or unusual with a new car having a few dozen miles on it. 50 is not unusual. By the time Ford loads, ships, reloads, transports, etc. to the dealership, the minimum we see is about 3-4 miles, but many arrive at the dealership with 8-12 miles. The random quality control rigs have dozens more, but come with a Ford sticker in the window attesting to the factory q/c miles.

Also, cars are dealer traded back and forth between dealerships to balance stock and satisfy customer demand. The are most often driven between dealerships. My 2003 Mach 1 was one of these. It was traded to our dealership from another dealership out-of-state and had 405 miles on the odometer when I bought it brand new. It didn't bother me the least bit, and I find it odd that some of you worry so much about a few miles on a new car. If you think a few spirited miles in your baby before you sign the contract is going to hurt your car, then you're buying the wrong car! Mustangs are built tough with lots of durability testing done. You're gonna drive that car a lot harder (and a lot more often) than anyone who test drove it a couple of miles. And for anyone buying these cars to pamper, or keep long term with no/low miles for posterity, again - you're buying the wrong car! Drive it like you stole it and enjoy every moment of every mile with the hammer down!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Five Oh B said:
Drive it like you stole it and enjoy every moment of every mile with the hammer down!
^^^ I'm with Five oh!!! w00t

I guess the lowest milage a car I ever bought was 3 miles on the odo. I got there right after they unloaded my '95 Camaro off the truck in Oct. of '94.

My/wifes '04 Orange was one of these Exec. perk cars and it had 3,000 on it when I got it but I lucked out. It had never been titled but was sold to me at a used price. Lucky I guess?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I should have mentioned that years ago we had demo's once in awhile. The owner doesn't do them anymore, but when he used to, he'd drive them a few thousand miles (keeping it under the allowable 6K mark), then we'd price it a grand or two below our invoice cost. And, Ford still honors incentives (rebates & special finance deals) on demo's (as they are technically "new"), so that lowered demo prices, as well. In summary, we had to sell them way cheaper than a low miles rig, or else nobody would buy them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That's fine and all as long as the price dictates the use. But, if I buy a "new" car, I want it "new" and not where someone else already had the chance to beat the crap out of it. I want to be the one to beat the crap out of it. I do mind if someone else has already had some "spirited" miles on it. It wasn't their car to be "spirited" in. :) I understand that vehicles have miles put on them during shipping. As long as it is documented as such.

$31k is not cheap (it is for a sports car, but you understand what I'm saying). It's a lot of money and I wouldn't want to blow it a vehicle that has already had someone else beat on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't stress enough that when we special order a vehicle for someone and it arrives at the dealership, nobody drives it except the PDI technician who puts just a couple miles on it as prescribed by Ford's PDI process. Once a car at our dealership is sold, nobody drives it except for the detailer who cleans it up and fuels it. We feel very strongly that sold cars don't get any mileage on them.

However, a car sitting unsold on the lot is fair game for test drives by customers and employees alike. I can't speak for all dealers, but our dealership has a strict policy of having an employee ride along with customers for any test drive involving a high performance vehicle. That keeps spirited driving to an absolute minimum.

We can't control what happens before the car arrives at our dealership, as several different people have access to each car between the factory and the final shipping to our dealership. Every once in a great while, I spot a hot car with the new tire "nibs" worn off the drive wheels - eveidence that someone spun the tires a bit. However, the vast majority of cars we get in still have the nibs on the tires and just the normal miles.

I'm not so worried about some extra miles and abuse on any Mustang I buy. Anyone who knows me personally knows that I will extract far more from my Mustang than any yahoo could ever hope to do in a few minute joyride. It's funny, I don't even have a clue how many miles were on my 07 Mustang GT when I bought it. I'd have to look at the odometer statement from the time of sale. I didn't even look over the car very well for scratches or damage as I knew that as a daily driver & weekend warrior it was gonna happen soon enough anyway. 4.10 gears went in before it was even 2 weeks old, and I was tearin' up the streets before the break-in was complete. In addition to the old saying "drive it like you stole it," I also believe that if you baby a car during break-in, you'll get a baby.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I drove an 01 GT that was sitting on the used lot with only 7 miles on it. I'm trying to figure out how a car with only 7 miles on it could even be considered used.

·
Registered
280 Posts
itsabullitt said:
I drove an 01 GT that was sitting on the used lot with only 7 miles on it. I'm trying to figure out how a car with only 7 miles on it could even be considered used.
A carfax report would have likely shown it was a manufacturer buyback (Lemon), and with so few miles it would have likely been due to shipping damage that exceeded state limitations. Or, the other plausable explanation could be that someone bought it (but did NOT take delivery for some reason), and it was titled but then the deal fell through after it was titled (financing didn't pan out???) Once a car is titled, it can no longer be sold as "new."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts