Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the new cylinder heads prove themselves, as dependable horsepower makers,will many of you make the change for a power improvement?
Some TFS heads,of the past, had some valve guide problems and some had potential cooling issues. So,if these prove to be a durable head,it could be a great chance to have close to a 400 FWHP Bullitt,in N/A form. This would keep us in the game performance wise,with the new Mustangs,Challengers,Camaros.
A 400 HP 2001 Bullitt,plus our lighter weight,would be a nice combo!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will wait and see how they perform.
With my TFS Highport heads,on my 351W,I found the valve seats had gone out of round,where they come together in the combustion chamber..the thin area where the intake and exhaust almost touch. Mostly due to no cooling passage in that small area.
Found this during a leakdown test. Had a fresh valve job done,which hopefully will hold up.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I could have given you about any info you wanted on 5.0 Mustang power parts ten years ago, but I haven't kept up with it since then. How has the Twisted Wedge-era TFS stuff held up compared to the KPI or Will-Burt vintage heads?

Regardless, yeah, I could see buying them after they have been proven for a couple of years. I would never jump into early on, but I encourage others to ;) It's what a lot of us have been waiting for.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These heads were the re-introduced aluminum Highports,after Summit Racing aquired TFS. Bought them thru Bennett Racing in Stage 2 form,back in 2002. Probally have 4000 miles on them. They made good power though!!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Oh, ok, so your problems were with the newer stuff....hmmmm. For some reason I thought you had an older set.

Maybe AFR, after seeing TFS selling so many, will decide to get in the 2V 4.6 game ;)

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it wasn't a big thing,but you could hear air leaking slightly thru some of the intake and exhaust valves,during the pressure test. Didn't seem to affect the engine running or performance much. Was/is still able to run 117 MPH thru the 1/4 mile,in it's somewhat detuned form....less gear and cam than before.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
We'll see. If there are any issues, they will surely show up by the time I am in the market for them. I really don't think I will be putting anything on this engine anyway. I have a brand new aluminum Explorer block, and would probably end up building that and wrapping up the original engine.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Like you, I am waiting to see how they hold up. Maybe a Fall '09 build? Was thinking of topping a Ford Racing 5.0 block with these heads. Maybe the right cams, a solid tune and a few other things will see 400 RWHP?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts