Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering how much it would cost for a decent dyno tune? I have the dual 62mm throttle body and I dont think it is helping the way my car runs without a tune right now. Just curious on the typical price range!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
BlackBullitt2615 said:
Hey guys, I was wondering how much it would cost for a decent dyno tune? I have the dual 62mm throttle body and I dont think it is helping the way my car runs without a tune right now. Just curious on the typical price range!
Thanks!
Shawn,
Let me know what you are able to find. I am in the Raleigh area, and I too am curious what a custom tune would cost around here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Shawn,
Let me know what you are able to find. I am in the Raleigh area, and I too am curious what a custom tune would cost around here.
I found a dyno shop in Charlotte that has done a lot of work, they are BRE motorsports and they deal with mostly imports but im gonna call and talk to them to see what kind of dyno they run and what all they would suggest for me. They have a website too if you want to check them out its http://www.bremotorsports.com/
Seems like a good shop to me!

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I think that the going rate around DFW was about $400 (which included the chip) when I was tuned years ago. If you had complications that took more than the allotted time then it cost more.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
i thought the only reason for a tune was cause you were running a turbo or a super charger..is that wrong?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
dg517 said:
i thought the only reason for a tune was cause you were running a turbo or a super charger..is that wrong?
Anytime that you do a modification to a car that may affect the air/fuel ratio a custom dyno tune should be done. However, the stock tune is very conservative and a custom dyno tune on a stock car could help fine-tune the car and gain more power. You could also lose some of the "safety-net" that is built-in to the stock tune . This could cause damage to your car (ask PALIACH for details). Most NA people wait until they have finished modding their car and then get a dyno tune so that they only have to pay for one tune. Others buy off-the-shelf tunes instead of taking it to a dyno.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I've had good luck with a SCT programer,with the box tune,and tweaking it,within the limits of the fuel and timing adjustments they allow over the tune.
With the 93 octane tune,they add some timing and lean out the A/F ratio at WOT.
Of course,to do it yourself,you need a good A/F monitor to see what is going on.
Last time at the track,which is perfect for real A/F results,had me in the 12.9-13.0 range at top of 3rd and 4th gear. The 105+ MPH trap speed was a good indicator that the tune was correct for my setup!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I just checked out the local place in Charlotte and they told me if I have a tuner they will let me get 2 tunes one for 87 octane and one for 93 for around 300 dollars so I think that is a good deal, now I just have to get a predator or pay for their kit they have there, each one is bout 350 dollars so I think I might go with the predator. Any other good shops in Charlotte I should check out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called the Diablo Predator guys and asked about using their product on the Bullitt. They told me the installed factory tune comes very close to what the Predator does for a standard Mustang GT (you may notice they don't list one for a Bullitt). If you're going to reap any gain from a programmer on a Bullitt, it looks like a dyno tune is the best idea. I was told that lightly modified Mustangs have gained 30+ HP to the wheels with nothing more than a dyno tune. Wish I could find a reputable dyno shop in the northern mid Tennessee area. $300 would be a bargain IMHO.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If your going to get a tunner I would try to get SCT in stead of preadtor I dont know very many if any tuners that prefer the diablo over the SCT. Which means less time on the dyno which means less money usally. I actually have sniper which seems to work pretty well, but my car ran like crap on a dyno tune with a preditor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts