1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
199 Posts
He might have just been so ashamed he was getting his ass handed to him by a Datsun wagon, he felt saying he crashed was the better option.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
OOOOOOOoooooo.... OUCH!

That's hard to watch!

Hope the ambulance was for the Bullitt!

·
Registered
309 Posts
LH tire blow out would cause the car to go left. Right?
I thought it pulled to the side it blew. Maybe not.
But I don't think it's possible to to go into 1st gear from 2nd.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I agree with FordFan - I think he missed 3rd, maybe put it into 5th or something, realized his error - then hastily stabbed it back-into a lower gear (likely 1st). The track CAN be a bit slick anywhere other than the starting line. His big mistake was NOT clutching and steering out of it but stamping the brakes after the car started to come-around.

Driver error - no equipment failure (tire, etc.), brought on by inexperience and the excitement of the situation.

Sorry this happened to the owner, hope they were alright. Hope their Insurance would take care of this as well.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can see the right rear of the car lift just a second before it started to go around on him. Hard to hear the shifts but don't most people on hear say they don't have to use third in the quarter?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
JC2954 said:
I agree with FordFan - I think he missed 3rd, maybe put it into 5th or something, realized his error - then hastily stabbed it back-into a lower gear (likely 1st). The track CAN be a bit slick anywhere other than the starting line. His big mistake was NOT clutching and steering out of it but stamping the brakes after the car started to come-around.

Driver error - no equipment failure (tire, etc.), brought on by inexperience and the excitement of the situation.

Sorry this happened to the owner, hope they were alright. Hope their Insurance would take care of this as well.........

Yep, he hit the brakes when he should've DRIVEN THROUGH the situation. We call this Accident Avoidance Maneuver in police driver training.

We set up measured training obstacles which the driver has to enter a 'gate' (of cones) and is given a 'left' or 'right' command when the nose of the car enters a marked point. The driver is given a speed which to enter the obstacle before hand. He/She then has to maneuver through the obstacle either to the left or right, depending upon command given, and successfully drive the vehicle out the exit 'gate.' The obstacle is made more difficult as the driver becomes more experienced. It's a real adrenaline rush, to be sure, not only for the driver, but also for the instructor (which was usually me)! Yeah, I used to do a lot of praying...

His insurance rates are going to increase now.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Car in the other lane is a Chevy Vega Kamback. aka, station wagon. It was supposed to be the new Nomad in 1971:doubt: :lol: :lol: . It's had quite and engine dropped into the rails by looking at it. Common engine would be the 350 with a 400 turbo. More likely something hotter:eek: the way it was moving.

The Bullitt? Cockpit error for sure, imo.:rolleyes: Unless he spent the extra money, he probably had an exclusion on his insurance policy for drag racing.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,283 Posts
Since it happened just as he got 3rd right before the 60-ft. pylon, my guess is that he had too tight a grip on the wheel when all that torque dumped in and kicked the car left, then he overcompensated going right and the rest is history. In other words, the guy was a stone rookie who had no business whatsoever on a track. I hope he didn't get hurt as bad as that poor Bullitt, though. :(

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,283 Posts
simulatedjim said:
You can see the right rear of the car lift just a second before it started to go around on him. Hard to hear the shifts but don't most people on hear say they don't have to use third in the quarter?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
You're going to be a GREAT Bullitthead! Jumping right in on a spirited discussion like this on your very FIRST POST! Wow! Welcome to IMBOC, Simjim!

·
Registered
8 Posts
after watching it a few times I'll bet it went into 1st instead of third.

the tires were spinning through second and when he pushed the clutch to up shift (which you can see as the car straightens out briefly)... he missed third by going into first and when he released the clutch around it went. Had he just stabbed the clutch when it began to rotate instead of hitting the brakes it would not have spun

massive driver error

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Madpoodle said:
The 06's were notorious for their handling deficiencies..
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
insurance company wont like that one.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts