Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing my throotle body cleanup,I also checked the condition of my KN filter.
With my functional scoop mod,I use the stock Bullitt air box,also with a fender inlet.
Well it was interesting to see the large collection of bug parts and other junk that was in all the pleats of the top area of the filter,where the airflow from the hood scoop enters!
Doing my part to help keep the air clean!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,432 Posts
I had the same issue on mine. I got rid of the K & N filter.:rolleyes:



J/K.


I had to clean off a lot of debris when I changed my filter. But no bugs. That is the luxury of having the fender inlet to the airbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask folks on here ... Doesn't somebody now offer an aftermarket, CAI-type air filter for our 2001 that does NOT require being oiled?

Seems as though I either saw something about it on here a while back and/or on E-bay but I can't remember exactly.

THANKS ~ !!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A tip on reoiling the KN type filters... go easy on the oil,let it sit standing up over night to let the oil spread out,you want just a even red tint through out the filter,and then hook up your large shop vac hose to the filter opening to suck out any excess oil. Haven't had any problems with the Bullitt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Mus408 said:
A tip on reoiling the KN type filters... go easy on the oil,let it sit standing up over night to let the oil spread out,you want just a even red tint through out the filter,and then hook up your large shop vac hose to the filter opening to suck out any excess oil. Haven't had any problems with the Bullitt.
Thanks ... This is a good idea. I never gave thought to the shop-vac.

I wonder is just a small light spray of light oil would be enough?

If anyone knows anything about an oil-less filter it might be a good idea to post it on here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I think it's worth mentioning to oil only the outside of the filter. Having cleaned and re-oiled mine several times now, a light spray to turn it red is all that is required. It will not penetrate to the inside this way and will not build up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
TXBLUOVAL said:
Reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask folks on here ... Doesn't somebody now offer an aftermarket, CAI-type air filter for our 2001 that does NOT require being oiled?

Seems as though I either saw something about it on here a while back and/or on E-bay but I can't remember exactly.

THANKS ~ !!!
AEM makes an Oil free air filter but I'm not sure if they are making one to fit our stock air box. I'm sure you can find one to fit a CAI though.
"dryflow"
I'm thinking about buying a C&L CAI and Maf with a Dryflow filter. Not until I have a few hundred bucks I don't know what to do with though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,084 Posts
Mine was extremely oily when I cleaned it last, but that was due to putting too much on to begin with. Other than that, it was pretty clean and I had gone about 2 years since checking it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
923 Posts
Black4592 said:
AEM makes an Oil free air filter but I'm not sure if they are making one to fit our stock air box. I'm sure you can find one to fit a CAI though.
"dryflow"
I'm thinking about buying a C&L CAI and Maf with a Dryflow filter. Not until I have a few hundred bucks I don't know what to do with though.
I have an AEM BruteForce on my 2003 and I know nothing about them. It was on the car when I bought it. It seems to be okay. I clicked on the link above and found that the replacement filter is about $50. It appears that this one does not need oiling, but I wonder if it can be cleaned. It looks clean now, but I wonder about down the road what it will need. Anyone have experience with them?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
119 Posts
BigBullitt said:
Mine was extremely oily when I cleaned it last, but that was due to putting too much on to begin with. Other than that, it was pretty clean and I had gone about 2 years since checking it.
A little bit off topic... but to say your sig is amazing would be a huge understatement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Thanks folks for all the good advice and ideas.

I'm going to do a search for "dryflow" and see what turns up.

THANKS AGAIN ~ !!!:smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,084 Posts
jeatkinson208 said:
A little bit off topic... but to say your sig is amazing would be a huge understatement.
Thanks! But what about it makes you say that? I was wondering if anybody noticed Steve peering out from the trees on the right. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Mus408 said:
A tip on reoiling the KN type filters... go easy on the oil,let it sit standing up over night to let the oil spread out,you want just a even red tint through out the filter,and then hook up your large shop vac hose to the filter opening to suck out any excess oil. Haven't had any problems with the Bullitt.
Good idea. What I used to do was just buy a new one, to avoid over-oiling it. I'd then wash the old one and sell it on ebay :D I usually got about half my money out of it.

The last time I pulled a K&N out though, it was falling apart. I wasn't too pleased. I had plenty of new Wix filters for the truck, so I threw one of those in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,101 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
I had the same issue on mine. I got rid of the K & N filter.:rolleyes:



J/K.


I had to clean off a lot of debris when I changed my filter. But no bugs. That is the luxury of having the fender inlet to the airbox.

What....fender inlet?:eek:...i dont have one:shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,101 Posts
BigBullitt said:
Thanks! But what about it makes you say that? I was wondering if anybody noticed Steve peering out from the trees on the right. :lol:
Yeah...i saw something in the trees in ur sig...thought it was some ufo:eek: or something:lol: :lol:.......j/k...looks good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Frams got their new Synwash. You can wash it and it does not require oil.
THANKS ... I think that might've been the one I heard of.

I'll research the part numbers and then post back on here. I'm looking for a stock BULLITT replacement as well as one that will replace the filter on a BBK CAI for the 2001 BULLITT.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top