Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the Bullitt ready for the track again this Saturday to get my final 1/4 times before I start any mods (I'm putting it on a dyno in a few weeks & then it's mod time). Anyway, a coworker was talking about the local drag strip & he's been there several times with one of his friends who owns an Eagle Talon. This guy races with a Talon club & I guess several of the cars are still stock. He was saying he's seen them do mid 13's & he thought my best (so far) of 14.42 was kinda slow. Well, I realize that's not earth-shattering, but minus Vettes, Vipers, LS-1's & Cobra's I don't see too many other new cars doing as well at the track, in stock trim. He said there's lots of foreign & domestic FWD cars out there that turn better stock times. I said I'll stick with my American Muscle, thank-you very much, but it got me thinking. Personally, I have yet to come across a stock Import that could dust ANY of my cars; beat maybe, but not bury. Anyone got any comments?

·
Registered
959 Posts
As a former Talon Owner ..

http://hometown.aol.com/btalont/myhomepage/index.html,

an AWD early model DSM can be made to run mid 13's with very little modifications. They can pull 60' times in the 1.7's bone stock.. :smile: You'll have your work cut out for you if he is lightly modified.

Brian

·
Registered
394 Posts
rancorkeeper,

That guy (your co-worker) doesn't know what he is talking about!

There are no stock fwd cars that will hang with a Bullitt in the 1/4. Traction, if nothing else will prevent it. Modified maybe, but stock no way!

I don't doubt that the AWD Talons and Eclipses will give a Bullitt a run for the money, but bone stock a semi-skilled driver in a Bullitt should be able to take the Talon/Eclipse. The real advantage would be to the Talon AWD driver if track prep is not good or the driver of the Bullitt spins to much out of the hole.

Eric

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-08-21 17:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe mid 13's bonestock is a bit of a stretch. Probably more like mid/low 14's. And pulling a 1.7 60ft is no small feat, even considering the AWD. Not too many average drivers are going to go out and yank one of those.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't think so either. I owned a 1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, completely stock. I traded it in on my Bullitt. From experience, the Bullitt is a faster car. Don't get me wrong though, they are quick off the line, but lack the upper end speed. You will take a stock one in the 1/4. But don't be discouraged if they launch out faster. In time you will catch him.

Trust me on this one.

Mike
DHG #3463
San Ramon, CA.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It does take practice and a good driver to get a good launch from an AWD Talon..true. A poor launch will result in a bog as I am sure Debullitt knows having owned one.. :smile:

Don't underestimate these cars though. I ran my first 12 in the Talon, 12.989 @ 104 with a atock turbo, stock clutch and stock fuel system so beware.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts