Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have before and after dyno chart w/ a long tube upgrade? I am trying to see exactly what can be expected from an upgrade to long tubes. As seen in my signature, I have only basic bolt-ons and don't plan to do any "major" mods (heads, cams, blower, etc).

If no dyno charts, then how about before/after 1/4 mile ETs w/ no other mods?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Before and after. I already had a high flow midpipe so this is just with the LTs.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Umm im putting my longtubes on this sunday and going to the track this wednesday. all be sure to let you know my 1/4 mile time differences.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JediBullitt said:
Umm im putting my longtubes on this sunday and going to the track this wednesday. all be sure to let you know my 1/4 mile time differences.
Thanks Mitchell!
That will also be good feedback for me. I'm curious about how much your trap speed increases w/ the long tubes.

BTW, are you having them installed, or are you doing it yourself? If you are having them installed, how much, or how many hours of labor are they charging you to do it? That is the biggest hang up for me on this upgrade. I don't have access to a rack so I will have to pay to have them installed. I'm just guessing it will run me around $450 to get them installed...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5111 said:
Before and after. I already had a high flow midpipe so this is just with the LTs.

Thanks for the chart!!! That is what I am looking for to help me decide. Looks like about 10-12lb/ft all the way across the range. HP is up around 13 in the higher RPMs which would be a nice improvement. I was hoping it would be 15-18, but 13 is good. Did you get it tuned at the same time?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Thanks for the chart!!! That is what I am looking for to help me decide. Looks like about 10-12lb/ft all the way across the range. HP is up around 13 in the higher RPMs which would be a nice improvement. I was hoping it would be 15-18, but 13 is good. Did you get it tuned at the same time?
No tune.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
It's hard to put an exact number on it, but picked about 2mph trap speed. I have all the time slips somewhere, but I am almost positive my highest trap speed was about 102.5 with the gears, timing adjuster and pulleys on Nitto DRs. It typically ran in the high 101's. It was a long stretch before I got back there. When I did, with the headers, it typically ran high 103's, with a few 104's thrown in. Best was a 104.80. I have not run the car since it was tuned.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Notice how you gain torque everywhere thru the curve with the LT headers! It sure can't hurt,on these small cube engines.
Even though it is an exspensive,and time consuming mod,it was worth it to me,since the cost of a blower,is out of the question now$$$$!

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Mus408 said:
Notice how you gain torque everywhere thru the curve with the LT headers! It sure can't hurt,on these small cube engines.
Even though it is an exspensive,and time consuming mod,it was worth it to me,since the cost of a blower,is out of the question now$$$$!
I spent $1350 on the headers (don't ask) for 13rwhp and $3500 on the blower for 100+rwhp!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Around $900 for the Kooks with X pipe,which is now modified into a selective X or H setup,using a specially designed insert.
The header install was a free and interesting garage project!

7,020 Posts
long tube headers dyno tells the story !

TRUEBLUE3934 aka Joe, check out 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords April 2009 issue just out ... The Long Tale pages 91-98, 4.6 header shootout its done on a 3 valve S197 but still you see how they all matched up to each other.

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
879 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Thanks Mitchell!
That will also be good feedback for me. I'm curious about how much your trap speed increases w/ the long tubes.

BTW, are you having them installed, or are you doing it yourself? If you are having them installed, how much, or how many hours of labor are they charging you to do it? That is the biggest hang up for me on this upgrade. I don't have access to a rack so I will have to pay to have them installed. I'm just guessing it will run me around $450 to get them installed...
actually me and my friend are going to try and tackle it. Were starting early sunday morning so if anything happens, will have all day to figure it out. The dyno shop i went into said i think like 700$ for the install. ....oh hey u got a blower for 3500$ nice deal where at ?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
JediBullitt said:
actually me and my friend are going to try and tackle it. Were starting early sunday morning so if anything happens, will have all day to figure it out. The dyno shop i went into said i think like 700$ for the install. ....oh hey u got a blower for 3500$ nice deal where at ?
I bought the tuner kit for $2500 and the injectors, MAF, powerpipe, fuel pump, and tune separately for about $1K. Keep in mind that this was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JediBullitt said:
I know a mechanic that does work like this on the side for about $60/hr. I'm guessing this would take him a full 7-8 hours of work. I trust him to do the job right, but I hate the idea of paying that much for an install.

·
Registered
879 Posts
5111 said:
I bought the tuner kit for $2500 and the injectors, MAF, powerpipe, fuel pump, and tune separately for about $1K. Keep in mind that this was 5 years ago.

i would think prices would go down not up :neutral: . Only thing i can think of is nitrous or a supercharger for the next power increase

·
Registered
879 Posts
So i would be posting my new e.t times but i didnt get the chance to put them on last sunday, and its raining today anyways. so i wouldnt of been able to go to the track. The plan is this sunday now, and track that following wednesday. All let ya know then srry if you need the info real quick to help decide......

·
Registered
879 Posts
My longtubes are on as of today. i didnt get to help much bc i had to work this weekend. My friends refused to idea of trying to drop the k member so they spent the last two days getting them in which they did = ). Cant really tell ya much about perfromance diff bc its pooring down here and i cant get on my car really. SOunds diff like a monster when i get over 3k rpm. But bad news check engine light came on, giving po722, po720,po141, po161, and now it stalls after a lil while of driving, and the speedometer doesnt work, one is a speedo code, the rest havnt figured out. Were gunna check out tomorrow and yeah im bullittless another day lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts