Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious--why Ford came out with the 265hp for our Bullitts when we all know or believe them to have closer to the 275hp as originally stated prior to production. Some of us had their stock Bullitts dynoed at 275hp. Is it the emissions thing or something else? :???:

My dealer took Bullette for a spin on the freeway a couple days after we took delivery. He said that "The Bullitt definitely has more horse power than the 265!" He had driven a lot of V8 Gts on the lot and said the Bullitt has a lot more than 5 horses than the GT!

Inquiring minds want to know :???:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I drove several GT's before I bought the Bullitt. The difference was very significant, both in acceleration and handling. I'm sure most of us have felt that difference. IMO the difference could be due to higher torque between 2000 and 4000 RPM rather than difference in peak horse power. Now I too thiink the Bullitt has more than 265HP at 4400 RPM, but it really doesn't matter. 1/4mi times posted here, and our own experience speak for themselves. I believe the Bullitt is the best Mustang GT ever built.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm sitting at 282hp(239rw) and 324tq(275rw) bone-stock sae corrected. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more at 10K on the ody.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have noticed every other 1000 miles that it feels stronger and stronger, at 5K i felt alot differ, now at 7,000 i have felt another difference, so for those of yall still under 1k, you have alot to look forward to, and i hope i have more to come :smile:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I agree, I have about 5500 on mine and the car has really come into it's own. It seems very powerful and as suggested I still run regular fuel. I think it takes a while for break in time and the computer to get adjusted. I can't wait to fire it up each morning. I agree with another post on Blue Oval...I have also said this myself in past posts. "It's the best GT ever made"

·
Registered
57 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-03 01:38, tskatz wrote:
I agree, I have about 5500 on mine and the car has really come into it's own. It seems very powerful and as suggested I still run regular fuel. I think it takes a while for break in time and the computer to get adjusted. I can't wait to fire it up each morning. I agree with another post on Blue Oval...I have also said this myself in past posts. "It's the best GT ever made"

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, i am glad that i am not the only Bullitthead rack'n up the miles hehe :smile: but i do think i have the most out of everyone lol. does that mean i am wining or lossing? lol oh well, i very much enjoy driveing it this much.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Mine was purchased to be my daily driver. I have no excuses. I may have a lot of miles but my car is clean as a pin and very well taken care of. Miles don't hurt a car, owner's who fail to take care of their cars do.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the new intake but the Bullitt feels a lot more powerful than the GT. Considering that I used to own a GT they feel like two different cars. If Ford hadn't said anything on Numbers this problem probably wouldn't be here. And if its b/c of Cobra Owners being upset I doubt it the Torque would've been similiar but the Bullitt would've still been down 45 horse. Remember Ford made the Contour SVT that had 30 horses more and only 5 lbs of torque more.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. And Greenpony, I notice you're from Naperville. That is the town that I tracked my Bullitt from the BNSF web site. It seemed to have stayed in that town for quite awhile before it left. I believe that that was the first town that was posted since it had left the convoy carrier enroute to the railway. I bet you see lots of cars go through there, huh!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Possible answers....
1)Ford wanted to avoid a possible situation like with the 1999 Cobras.......
2)Ford didn't want to hinder possible 2001 Cobra sales........
3)Ford didn't want to hinder possible 2001 GT sales.........

All and all I am VERY pleased with my Bullitt !!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
well, Ford testing came up w/ 265 advertisable hp, that's why it says 265 officially. That 265, as you all know, met the performance expectations of the Mustang Team. I think the team decided to stick by what the car is capable of, rather than what some #'s in a book somewhere said. After all, the Bullitt was a car for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-03 09:40, Rara wrote:
well, Ford testing came up w/ 265 advertisable hp, that's why it says 265 officially. That 265, as you all know, met the performance expectations of the Mustang Team. I think the team decided to stick by what the car is capable of, rather than what some #'s in a book somewhere said. After all, the Bullitt was a car for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.

I thought the original expectations were 275. I also thought it was capable of more but was detuned to meet goverment emmisions and mpg standards.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
If they held up production any longer to get the HP rating up the 275 there would not have be enough time left in 2001 to manufacture the car. They made the right decision to go with the 265 HP rating. At first I was pissed about this but after taking delivery of my Bullitt it instantly became a non-issue. The car does 13.79 at 100 MHP bone stock. It handles better and is far stronger than my 94 GT ever was. This is the best GT ever made. I am 100% delighted with the car. I only wish I could afford to grab another one and put it in storage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've driven plenty of GTs and the Bullitt has more power. I've put the K&N Aircharger and Steeda Timing Adjuster on mine so far. I set the Adjuster at 14 dg. I run it on 94 octane and it works great. I haven't had it dyno'd but there has to be more than 265hp under the hood. On a strong run, I get wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear! I have 7500 miles and it seemed to get better with some miles on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I, on the other hand, am quite pleased with the 265hp rating. Hell I would be happy if Ford quoted it at 260hp. My point is let everyone that hasn't driven the car think 265hp, it just makes for easier targets.

We know what we have!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
On 2001-08-03 11:21, Bullitt1164 wrote:
I, on the other hand, am quite pleased with the 265hp rating. Hell I would be happy if Ford quoted it at 260hp. My point is let everyone that hasn't driven the car think 265hp, it just makes for easier targets.

We know what we have!

I agree !It does make for a suprise !

·
Registered
394 Posts
When was the last time someone checked the Ford website. They have changed some things on the site and on e of those is the Horsepower rating for the Bullitt. Afew weeks ago the bullitt didn't list horspeower or torque numbers. Now it gives the preliminary numbers of 275hp and 315Tq. Thye must have some some confidence it is making those numbers or why would they add them at such a late date.

here is the link:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/models/

Eric

1,169 Posts
On 2001-08-03 18:27, BULLITT00208 wrote:
When was the last time someone checked the Ford website. They have changed some things on the site and on e of those is the Horsepower rating for the Bullitt. Afew weeks ago the bullitt didn't list horspeower or torque numbers. Now it gives the preliminary numbers of 275hp and 315Tq. Thye must have some some confidence it is making those numbers or why would they add them at such a late date.

here is the link:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/models/

Eric

Eric I think your on to something! I'm very surprised and happy to see Ford rating the car at 275hp and 315tq agian!

Thanks for the link :-B

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I don't think that they're rating them higher again. Ford's website has been consistently 3-5 months behind track on everything in their "Cars" sections.
I think they just haven't had a chance to amend the info yet. You can still order one according to the website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts