Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few posts about installing a Hurst chrome stick and a white shifter knob for the retro look. I purchased the same stick everyone else did (Hurst P/N 538-8550) and a white shifter knob with the 5 speed pattern on top. The stick alone retails for $70. I selling the stick and the white knob for $80, including shipping!

There's nothing wrong with it. I installed it and it looks and feels awesome. It's about the same shift throw as stock (if you use a Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0) but it sits up a little higher. I'm going with a different style stick and a black knob, which is the reason I am selling.

E-mail me if you are interested. [email protected]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT

:nerd:

DHG #4851
Steeda Tri-Ax

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retromuscle on 2002-01-22 15:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
586 Posts
I thought the white knob might be nice in the wintertime. I wasn't up for a whole chrome stick and all, though.

By the way, I grew up in Haddonfield. Are you anywhere near Philly? I get over there once in a blue moon. The Schylkill sux.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The white knob is tapped for the Hurst thread (3/8-16) so it wouldn't fit the stock stick.

Haddonfield is not too far from me. I'm in West Deptford, just south of the Walt Whitman Bridge. There are a few of us within 15 minutes of this area... Maybe we can get together for an event this Spring. I know a couple good cruise spots. :smile:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hey John, what did you end up doing instead of the Hurst stick and ball?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I'm still using a Hurst chrome stick and ball, only I went with a different stick (a little shorter and raked back slightly more) and the black ball with the white inlaid pattern. Very classic looking. I'll post the part number and prices once I sell mine... No need to shoot myself in the foot. :wink: :grin:

I really liked the 8550 stick in the car, and I actually ended up getting it from Summit as a kit specifically for the Mustang! It includes the stick, a white shifter knob (their standard knob, white with the black circle and the shift pattern in white on top), and a rubber boot. The kit is designed for the 82-93 Mustang with the T-5, so the boot doesn't fit. But the stick and the ball fit beautifully. And, the best part is that I paid what you paid for just the stick for the whole kit. Very nice deal.

My wife hated the white ball, but loved the chrome stick. So I ordered a different stick and the black ball. It's coming in the mail today. I'm just trying to sell the one I have for what I paid for it. It is brand spankin' new, and whoever buys it will have it as soon as I get payment. If I don't sell by the end of the week, I'll just return it to Summit. Either way, I'll post the part numbers (which Summit has in stock, BTW) for both the kit (for those who want a simple, all-in-one package) and the "alternative" stick (cheaper than buying the 8550 stick by itself, but you still need to purchase a knob, which brings the total to about $10 more than the kit) on Friday.

We'll have to get together so you can see the new stick. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. :sad:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-23 09:58, retromuscle wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. :sad:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have one either. We'll have to get together one sunny Saturday and compare Bullitts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Works for me... Your Bullitt's in storage, right? As soon as it gets warm (i.e. above 50) we'll have to cruise into Philly for some cheesesteaks and Bullitt talk. :grin:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm drop the price to $75 shipped for everything. That's $2 less than you'll pay anywhere else just for the stick and you get the ball for free. :grin:

I went a slightly different route (black ball on a different stick) and this stick was only on the car for 1 day. I've only had it for less than a week.

I will be returning it to the retailer next week if nobody wants it. If you're looking for a Hurst stick for your Bullitt, this is what you're looking for and this is the right price! E-mail me if you're interested! [email protected]

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
SELL SELL SELL! :grin: Actually, I get the feeling we're out here alone on this mod John.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y2K16T8 on 2002-01-24 09:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y2K16T8 on 2002-01-24 09:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know if you sold the hurst stick/ball yet....but I want to buy it if you haven't? Did you say it will fit our stock shift?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I sent it back to Summit. I can give you the part numbers though, if you're still interested in doing this swap. I LOVE mine. :grin:

·
Registered
693 Posts
hey retromuscle
is this your car?

I’m getting my new car today and this will be
my first mod
was your firts chrome stick part #538-8550
thanks
Francois

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, that's not mine. Actually, he was one of the first members to do that mod (and he hasn't posted since :sad: ) and he's the one who gave me the idea.

I went with a different stick and I have the black shifter ball instead of the white. The black blends a little better with the interior, IMHO.

The stick I went with is PN 538-0015. It's 1/2" shorter and leans back 1/2" more than the 538-8550 and is over $20 cheaper ($47.39 vs. $70). Plus, Summit has them in stock and on their website. I ordered that and the black Hurst ball with the white inlaid 5 speed pattern for $85ish. Less than the $100+ others have paid for the 538-8550 and ball.

This is the only mod I have done to my car. I swapped the stock shifter mechanism with a Steeda Tri-Ax and have been thoroughly impressed with the new shifts. I would recommend getting either the Tri-Ax or the Pro 5.0 shifter to go with your Hurst handle. This will shorten the throws and it gives you the benefit of positive stops on the shifter. Imagine what your shift forks will look like after you bang a gear and over shoot due to the added leverage of the Hurst handle :evil:

Good luck with the new Bullitt!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts