Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been very happy with my Husrt Shifter; I have never really found a boot which looked like it was made specifically for this application and our production year Mustangs.

Obviously the stock boot is to large and the rubber Hurst boots are nice, but putting a square boot in an oval hole isn't the best answer either.

I am developing a leather boot specifially designed for this shifter which should work with the shorter chromed steel and aluminum sticks. This boot will hit just below the Hurst lettering on the side of the stick similar to the stock Hurst rubber boots. You will be able to install it by reusing the stock boot metal retainer ring once the stock boot is stripped off of it.

The link below is of the second prototype which I believe still fits s little too tight. The final design will be somewhat fuller, and will work with the OEM trim ring. There will also be a matching E brake boot available as well.

If there is any interest in these products let me know, and I will talk to the administrators about possibly making them available on the forum as a group buy.

The final design should be made up and installed on my car for inspection within the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Best Regards, Ed

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/bullitt731/

Link to pictures.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
There were some oval shaped rubber boots that came in 1969 Camaros and Firebirds,and possibly GTO's which were 4 spd. console delete applications. But don't know if they would be tall enough.
On my Bullitt,with my own flat type Hurst stick,which I made,I took the round grommet,out of the Bullitt boot,and just pushed the boot down as far as it would go. Seems to work well.
But keep up the good work on your custom boot! Looks like you have the good leather skills to make them!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the final product.. any idea on price??

=-=-=-=-

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
I have the Hurst shifter, stick and the large Mr. Gasket rubber boot, fits perfect. Put it in my friend's Mach that has the same basic set-up, he is happy with it as well.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Ed,
I like the concept. I'd love to see it with a looser boot. The one pictured looks like it is pulled a bit too tight. Any idea what the price may be when you get it finalized?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Bullit 731, is the flat handle/arm the only one that comes with the Hurst shifter as opposed to a round one. I remember when I installed one in my old 91 Mustang, T-5 factory trans, it came with a round handle/arm and fit fine with the factroy boot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Ed,
I like the concept. I'd love to see it with a looser boot. The one pictured looks like it is pulled a bit too tight. Any idea what the price may be when you get it finalized?
I finished the final pattern which will be considerably more loose than the picture. It will easily fit over the rubber dust boot that Hurst supplies with the shifter.

The price should be around $65 including shipping, or $95 for the shift boot, and E brake boot including shipping. These are top quality leather products in either case.

I should have a finished picture in a few weeks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a50ina50 said:
Hey Bullit 731, is the flat handle/arm the only one that comes with the Hurst shifter as opposed to a round one. I remember when I installed one in my old 91 Mustang, T-5 factory trans, it came with a round handle/arm and fit fine with the factroy boot.
I tried to design the boot to fit a round shift stick as well. There is a 1" long flange which the stick extends through inside the boot where a zip tie will be used to cinch up the boot around either type of stick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts