Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Hurst short throw shifter installed by the dealership about a month ago. I waited to give some feedback until I'd spent some time with it. Initially it was stiff, louder than OEM, and what I've heard others refer to as "notchy".

A month later I'm loving the Hurst and workin' it like a new job -- with joyful enthusiasm!
My first observation: The OEM shifter blends very well with the Bullitt interior. IMO, the Hurst looks just as good. It's a comfortable height and I think it's a nice contrast to a majority charcoal colored interior.

Unlike the OEM shifter, with the Hurst I could no longer glance at the shifter and easily tell what gear I was in. It took me a little while to recognize the shorter throw pattern. Now I've learned the shifter. It's loosened up a bit, I can feel my way through shifts better, and a quick glance at the tach confirms any doubt about what gear I'm in. Hearing the FRPP stingers helps a bit too:wink: .

But the most noticeable improvement -- No gear clash going into third any more. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't offer a good explanation. Is it the urethane bushings?? Or maybe it was me all along and I was just sloppy with my shifts. Either way I'm happy with the new shifter for that reason alone.

My alternative choice was the MGW short throw. From user reviews I've read, it's gets high marks in quality and performance. It just looks like lots of parts and adjustments. But I'm old school too. In the early '70's a good shifter was spelled H-U-R-S-T. Today I've no doubt M-G-W has been added to the list. Bottom line it's all about personal choice.

If your car is a daily driver, the OEM shifter is easy and more than adequate. I don't race my Bullitt and have no intentions of taking it to the track. So gaining a few tenths through speed shifting means nothinig to me. The Hurst is simply a change I wanted to make to my car. Here's a few pics.

Our Bullitt OEM shifter

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Chip. looking good. Thanks for sharing. That was the 1st mod I made iam very satasfyed. Chip Be Safe and have a wonderful holiday season JOHN

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Very nice Chip, I think it looks awesome with the interior....Glad you are enjoying it......

Mike

·
Registered
410 Posts
I miss the HURST I put in my 07 (part of the trade deal). But I love the look of the BULLITT Shifter. You never missed third, you knew when you were in a gear, and with only a flick of the wrist. That I miss. Sooooooo, now the question is. MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax. Because I want to keep the BULLITT appearance.

Anybody have either???

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chip, the Hurst looks nice!!! Also, your interior is too perfect. I can have the kids come over and give it that 'lived-in look.'

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 to the MGW, had that on my Mach 1 03 and loved it. I do like stiff short shifters, and have been considering it for my bullitt, but don't know if the ball fits on it..

·
Registered
419 Posts
+2 on the MGW. It was the first mod and I love it...and with the stock ball, no one is the wiser.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, it really looks good!!! I just want to know how it feels when you apply the shifter. Sometimes, I got same stiff feeling when I apply it from 2nd to 3rd gear. I just thought that I didn't apply my shifter properly. Oh....well....hope my stock shifter is okay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bump one for the Pro-5.0 shifter. Saves the stock look at the higher lever position.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gesner said:
Chip, the Hurst looks nice!!! Also, your interior is too perfect. I can have the kids come over and give it that 'lived-in look.'
Trust me, it's not all that clean. I vacummed it out for the first time in about 4 months, just before I took the pics. As for the kids, they're welcome, bring 'em. I've got a truck for that, complete with booster seats and all the proper RESTRAINTS:tongue:.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, that's a really cool looking shifter. Does the boot typically fit that nicely over the Hurst shifters? Looks like it was simply a factory option.

Thanks for throwing another great mod for me to consider. I think it actually looks better than the aluminum ball.

Can I ask how much it set you back including install?

·
Registered
969 Posts
chip,

that's one good looking shifter! this is the first time i have seen up close pics of the hurst shifter. quality looks top notch! congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mine's still sitting in it's box on top of the fridge along with the iPod adaptor...waiting for a break in the weather to rip out the centre-console and fascia for that - the Hurst will be done along with the suspension next month...

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Is the Hurst shifter handle longer then the stock shift handle?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Looks real nice Chip!

Did you have any issues stretching the boot to fit the Hurst lever? It seems much larger in diameter than the Bullitt lever.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Silverback said:
Looks real nice Chip!

Did you have any issues stretching the boot to fit the Hurst lever? It seems much larger in diameter than the Bullitt lever.
Good question and the answer is yes. Prior to the Hurst, I had a shift knob from MRT. Well the adapter from MRT was wrong sized for the '08 Bullitt. Unfazed I lanced a couple threads (on the radio side) of the boot opening to accommodate this wronged sized adapter. After much grumbling from some Bullitt Heads, I believe MRT has since retooled the piece correctly.

There's actually an elastic band inside and around the top edge of the boot. So there's some wiggle room and I think the Hurst lever itself might fit through the Bullitt shift boot -- without modification. The Hurst lever comes with a rubber boot retainer disk. It's grooved on its outer edge to capture and hold the shift boot. I folded the top edge of my already lanced boot over the retainer disk for a clean and tight fit. The wife even offered to buy me a custom shift boot from RedlineGoods.com. I declined. Told her I've got other things in mind:wink: .

HTH / chip

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
The other option is to get a boot for a GT with Interior Upgrade, which looks like ours with the aluminum trim but has a larger shift lever hole.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BlackPony said:
Is the Hurst shifter handle longer then the stock shift handle?
Hey BlackPony. Are you behaving with those Stingers?:smile:

I didn't measure the Hurst lever. But for reference, look at my picture #7. The car is in neutral. If you draw an imaginary horizontal line from the arm rest to the shifter, the Hurst looks like its standing a little taller than our OEM shifter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts