Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

I did it myself: Coil change/Spark plugs

721 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GreggVH 
#1 · (Edited)
If anyone of you is having stumbling/misfires, It's a safe bet to say it's a bad coil. My car was stumbling misfiring for a long time and I just lived with it. I started to hate my Bullitt. I basically let it go to crap. I didn't wash it. I didn't clean the inside, etc. I was too worried about the cost of fixing and basically nervous about doing the job myself. I'd never done a tune up in my life.
I finally saved up about $600.00 and took it to a local shop who told me I had a vacuum leak. They swapped out the IAC and the EGR and charged me $600.00. Man was I ****ed when the car still stumbled.
About two weeks back the car's Service Engine Soon light came on and I had it read at Autozone. It was showing a misfire on cylinder #1. MustangMarkus told me about this place called RPM Outlet. I bought eight Accel Super Coils (22.95/each) over the internet on a Monday evening. UPS was at my door Wednesday morning with them! Their service was so quick I received the coils before I received RPM conformation e-mail! Thanks Marcus and thanks RPM Outlet.
I went to O'Reilly's and bought the Motorcraft AWSF-32PM's for about $2.00 a plug. I also got some antiseize and some dielectrical grease. I just want to say THANKS big time to Midlife and all of his efforts on creating the Bullitt Archive. I followed all of his instructions and took my sweet time yesterday installing the new plugs and coils. My car had around 70,000 miles on the originals and they were a PITA to get out. (a great reason to use antiseize on the new plugs even though I read the notorious "ANTISEIZE thread") The COPS were a pain too. I think I busted the springs on at least 4 trying to get the old ones out. (great reason to use the dielectrical grease)
The passenger side is definately a task with the TB in the way. BTW, 1-4 were the noticably worse looking of the plugs removed.

The only problem I had was reinstalling the 7mm bolts for the cops. They were very fragile and bent easily while turning them back in (I broke one).

I turned the ignition and she fired up and idled like the day I drove her home from the dealer. The shifter doesn't shake anymore and the idle is perfect! Drives like a dream now. The power is back and I'm in love again. It's time I give her a much needed bath. I'm extremely happy and would like to thank Markus, Midlife, Walkman and all the other Bullitheads that replied to my questions. You guys saved me a bunch of money! This site is great.

Hook 'Em

See less See more
#4 ·
That's great and good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
So does that mean you'll be able to meet us at Biff's one Friday? :grin:

You mentioned you saved 600.00 for the job and that shop charged you 600.00. Did they know you had that much to spend?

#6 ·
BigBullitt said:
So does that mean you'll be able to meet us at Biff's one Friday? :grin:

You mentioned you saved 600.00 for the job and that shop charged you 600.00. Did they know you had that much to spend?

If I ever have a Friday evening off I'll be there.

Of course I didn't tell them how much money I had saved! It was just a weird and painful coincidence.

#7 ·
DragonBullitt said:
That's great and good job!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the compliment and your replies. The Accel's were easy to install on the new plugs. They just slipped right on. I used dielectrical grease in the boot of the COP. I like the yellow color to. The color pops out at you.

#9 ·
Ok now come over and do the ones in my Bird. That will make changing these seem like a walk in the park.

And by the way 95k on the odometer never changed the plugs and still putting 320 to the rear wheels.

#10 ·
GreggVH said:
Ok now come over and do the ones in my Bird. That will make changing these seem like a walk in the park.

And by the way 95k on the odometer never changed the plugs and still putting 320 to the rear wheels.
Did you ever find out what the problem was with the IAC in your BULLITT ... ???

I've been wondering about that these past few days.

#11 ·
Nope. I really still have not looked into. I drove it about two weeks ago and it seemed to run fine. Then last night we went out and it was back up at 1000. I just need a free weekend to look into it(as I am writing this from work on Sat :( ). Still not sure if it is the IAC.

Gregg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.