Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A/C or fan can be on or off...outside temperature can be hot or cold...weather can be wet or dry. Problem: I have a bird that chirps (keep the jokes to a minimum please) somewhere in the dash behind the clove box or under the passenger air bag area when I drive my car above approx. 65MPH! Anyone else have this issue? It happens regardless of whether or not I'm traveling over bumps. It seems to be dependent on speed only. I have never heard the sound when driving it above 95MPH but that's no solution..or maybe it is! I sprayed a drop of lub under the dash last weekend but that did not solve the problem...maybe I hit the wrong parts? Any clues? Anyone else hear it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had to pick up a new ford (crown vic) for work the other day and heard the same noise, louder as you got faster. When I had the passenger side window open, you can hear it even more. My best guess, maybe a exhaust leak, don't know. It would echo when driving past trees, brush, etc. so definately coming from the outside of the car, but the same sound as you described. The vehicle has a 4.9 and was brand new. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this to be pretty unbelievable but the chirp started back up recently so my mission this weekend was to find it....and I did. I don't know what you call it but it's the painted part that runs from the base of the passengers side window up the side of the window and then over top the passengers door. The part above the door was tight but the part (same piece) of it running next to the windshield is loose. Not loose enough to be a problem but loose enough for their to be chrip-worthy movement. That's why every time I ran up on an 18 wheeler on my right hand side, I would hear it. The air disturbance would move the piece enough to make it squeak. I shot a bunch of WD40 up underneath it and I think it's gone. If not, I'll take it back to the dealer but at least I know what to tell them to fix. Imagine the hassle if I would have taken it in telling them the chirp sounded like it was coming from the dash somewhere. Holy crap, that would have taken 50 trips for me to just reproduce the chirp for them and then another 2 trips for them to hear it and fix it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I also have a chirp, more like a repeating chirp...coming from the clutch/tranny. In neutral or engaged in a gear it makes the sound. It goes away when I apply pressure on the clutch (even only if its 1/4 inch). Anyone else have this or know what it is??

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The most annoying chirp I get is from the top of the left rear passenger seat rubbing against the trim piece for the back dash. Or maybe it's on the side, either way, I've got to find some way to stop it. I also have a dash squeak on the driver's side close to the center console. Only solution for that is to turn the radio up so I don't hear it - don't want them tearing into my dash. Yes, there are others. I still love my Bullitt, though! Nothings perfect. :smile:

Greg

·
Registered
198 Posts
the blower motor "squirrel cage" will chirp occasionally. its common to nearly all cars.

and it will come from the glove box area. and yes it can do it even without the ac on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm starting to notice a similiar sound now coming from the tranny as well when I step on the clutch (started at 7500 miles). I also have the annoying dash board rattle and the one by the back seat. Now that it is warmer, I fix the dash and back seat rattle. But Green Bullitt you think the throw-out bearing is the cause of my "bird chirping". I only hear it randomly and I don't ride the clutch. Hear it sometimes when I turn the car, but it definately sounds like its coming from the tranny.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the chirp too. And I had the car in the shop for the "tranny thing" (changed out the 1st & 2nd shift forks) made it worse, new tranny on the way. So anyway we went for a test ride to listen for the chirp, I mostly hear it only at freeway speeds. We heard it got back to the shop and looked under the hood behind the dash to look for something loose and ended pushing on the cowl under the windsheld wipers and it made the same chirp but only once. Did not take the time to take it off but they are ordering another one because the rubber trim was crimped in one spot. I think I will pull it off and see what I can see.
Good luck everyone. Let hope we can kill that bird once and for all.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanks Green Bullitt, I'll be doing that after the weekend... :grin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are 2 seperate chirping sounds that peopl seem to be identifing. Bullitt1041, there is a quick fix to the chirp you found. The plastic cowl in front of the windshield will make a sound at highway speed. It is held in with metal push in tabs that fit in metal holes. Well guess what metal on metal makes nasty sound. Anyhow I just used a butter knife to lift the rubber seal up and then shoved the spigget on the WD-40 can underneath it. Shot some areas several times and no more squeak. I also greased the upper control arm bushing that connects to the differential. Looked like there was some side to side movement that might have been my squeak in the rear end. Anyhow I haven't heard that one either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-05-13 00:36, Badkharma wrote:
I also have a chirp, more like a repeating chirp...coming from the clutch/tranny. In neutral or engaged in a gear it makes the sound. It goes away when I apply pressure on the clutch (even only if its 1/4 inch). Anyone else have this or know what it is??

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts