Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer got a Bullitt in yesterday and since it was equipted just like the one I ordered I decided to go and have a look.

To be honest, I was quite disapointed. I did not feel the excitement I felt when I drove my 01 for the first time. With the 3.73 rear end you hit the rev limiter very quickly in the first three gears. The interior fit and finish was no better than any other new Mustang GT and the exhaust note while being a bit different was not really louder than a GT. That is not a bad thing. I am glad the car feels like you can drive it daily.

I am still tring to decide what my overall impression is. The car seems true to the movie as a commerative car should, but is it better than the 01? That's the question I can't seem to put my finger on. I really loved my 01. It seems like there is something missing from this new car but I don't know what. Maybe it's just the fact that the 05-08 Mustangs are such better cars than the fox bodies that the Bullitt seems just a little nicer than any new GT. That being said you really have to be into the movie to want a Bullitt. Otherwise buy a loaded GT with the money you save from the Bullitt package and you will still have a great car with a lot of options for a lot less money. My guess is that these new Bullitts will depreciate quickly unless you turn yours into a trailer queen and then, whats the point of buying if you don't drive it. I am 46 years old. Frankly I don't want to look forward to being 66 to see any apprecaition on a well kept Bullitt.

Talk me into buying this car. I need some motivation. I am just not that excited about it in the world of $3.00 gallon gas and the insurance costs that go with it.

Adjust my attitude please!

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
No one can decide for you. Overall impressions Ford's media event not withstanding. I feel it is a much more refined car. As good in the handling department + 30 extra HP. Yes you will hit the rev limiter much faster than stock gears. Some 01 Bullitt owners love the 08 and at least one traded his in for an 08. A good used 01 you can pick up for around 13K but no warranty.... Hard to top the feelings you had for the first one. As you can see many new 08 owners feel the same way about their cars...

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I can't think of any car that really holds it's value for the first 5 years of ownership. If you're buying a car as an investment I would strongly suggest that you DON'T. Only for the person owning the car is there any value- and that value is emotional not monetary.
I would advise you cancel your order and continue driving your 01.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ya know, I keep looking at all of the new Bullitts on Ebay, especially the black ones thinking I'd really like to have one. However, I am like you and there is just something about the 01 that grabs me and makes me turn around to look at it as I walk away. Don't get me wrong, the 08 looks to be a great car, I just can't see myself with one is all. Someone I believe once posted that the 01 Bullitt has soul and thats what grabbed all of us, while the 08 Bullitt doesn't. I don't know, but if I was you, like stated above I'd save the money or put it into your 01 or if you are set on a new one get a fully loaded GT.

Good luck.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you don't feel happy about it, definitely don't buy it. It's a little more spin happy than a reg. gt b/c of the gears and the diff. crank damper. That's typical. :) You see, I'm excited about the 08 b/c I'm a huge fan of the s197 version. the 01 didn't do a lot for me, per say. It's all up to the person buying it in the end.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's certainly no shame in keeping the '01 Bullitt. Nice cars. Sure, they're down some power on the '08's, but they are also lighter weight. The '08's are slightly quicker at the dragstrip, but I am almost positive that the '01's handle as good, or better, as the '08's.

I came so very close to buying a Bullitt back in '01, but ended up keeping my one year old '00 Mustang Spring Feature GT. Now I'm in the same boat - I have a one year old '07 Mustang GT and am contemplating a new '08 Bullitt. I guess my timing sucks (both times), as it just doesn't make much sense financially to trade in a one year old car.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
wally05 said:
It's all up to the person buying it in the end.
Couldn't have said it any better. Do what makes you happy and the devil with everyone else!!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I don't know what you expected from the 08. More gear, what many have said they wanted, better performance, what many have said they wanted. Seven years newer with more refinement. The newer body style is soooo trick. Only you can determine if buying the Bullitt will meet your desires. Gas and insurance costs, well we all know about them. :smile:

·
Registered
825 Posts
tskatz said:
My dealer got a Bullitt in yesterday and since it was equipted just like the one I ordered I decided to go and have a look.

To be honest, I was quite disapointed. I did not feel the excitement I felt when I drove my 01 for the first time. With the 3.73 rear end you hit the rev limiter very quickly in the first three gears. The interior fit and finish was no better than any other new Mustang GT and the exhaust note while being a bit different was not really louder than a GT. That is not a bad thing. I am glad the car feels like you can drive it daily.

I am still tring to decide what my overall impression is. The car seems true to the movie as a commerative car should, but is it better than the 01? That's the question I can't seem to put my finger on. I really loved my 01. It seems like there is something missing from this new car but I don't know what. Maybe it's just the fact that the 05-08 Mustangs are such better cars than the fox bodies that the Bullitt seems just a little nicer than any new GT. That being said you really have to be into the movie to want a Bullitt. Otherwise buy a loaded GT with the money you save from the Bullitt package and you will still have a great car with a lot of options for a lot less money. My guess is that these new Bullitts will depreciate quickly unless you turn yours into a trailer queen and then, whats the point of buying if you don't drive it. I am 46 years old. Frankly I don't want to look forward to being 66 to see any apprecaition on a well kept Bullitt.

Talk me into buying this car. I need some motivation. I am just not that excited about it in the world of $3.00 gallon gas and the insurance costs that go with it.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better. Thats how I feel about the car. I am a fan of the movie, but you may have talked me into waiting for the Boss or Mach 1 or whatever is next.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I don't know what you expected from the 08. More gear, what many have said they wanted, better performance, what many have said they wanted. Seven years newer with more refinement. The newer body style is soooo trick. Only you can determine if buying the Bullitt will meet your desires. Gas and insurance costs, well we all know about them. :smile:
What he says^^^^^. Plus if you figure the difference in cost per day it's like a Coca-Cola out of a machine for the weeks insurance. And gas? I think that they actually get better mileage than the 01. If I'm wrong it isn't so different that it would stop me from buying it. I do wish our 01 had more interior room. But then I'm a big guy and leg room counts. Plus when we take anyone anywhere in the Bullitt my wife sits in the back and that's tighter yet. The 08 isn't spacious, but compared to the 01 it certainly is. Would I buy the 08 Bullitt now? No, still paying on the 01 I just bought a couple years ago. I will buy the 08 in a couple years because it is so much better than the 01 for many reasons. Some of them rblack and I have posted above. It's also easier to want one when you don't have one in the garage. Just an opinion.

T

·
0 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
No one can decide for you. Overall impressions Ford's media event not withstanding. I feel it is a much more refined car. As good in the handling department + 30 extra HP. Yes you will hit the rev limiter much faster than stock gears. Some 01 Bullitt owners love the 08 and at least one traded his in for an 08. A good used 01 you can pick up for around 13K but no warranty.... Hard to top the feelings you had for the first one. As you can see many new 08 owners feel the same way about their cars...
Absolutely agree. Owners of the '08's will feel the same way as owners of the '01's feel if Ford ever releases another Bullitt variant.

And no one should buy a car thinking of what its future value will be. I'm fortunate to own a number of collector vehicles such as a '67 Shelby GT500 and a Buick Grand National, which I purchased new. I drive them and enjoy them immensely and use them in a manner they were intended to be used. Any time one purchases a car considering what the value will be many years down the road often doesn't get the chance to really enjoy them.

Terry

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The proven method to determine if you bought the "right" car or are thinking of buying .

Just before you go to bed you open the garage door to take a last look at her.

I did it almost every night with DHG 0776.

I almost never do it to my '94 GT vert - and it's a really nice car.

I usually never look at my '94 Gt vert , asnd it's a really nice car.v

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Whammer said:
I can't think of any car that really holds it's value for the first 5 years of ownership. If you're buying a car as an investment I would strongly suggest that you DON'T. Only for the person owning the car is there any value- and that value is emotional not monetary.
I would advise you cancel your order and continue driving your 01.
Well said, I agree! Ron

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
tskatz said:

Be happy,you need no attitude adjustment. As good as the 2008 Bullitt is,in no way is it 18 to 20 grand better than the 2001 version I have.
Besides,I will soon be out of the loop for affording any new factory muscle....unless I hit the Lotto!
I we be somewhat retired soon.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
tskatz said:

you love your '01, nothing wrong with that. You don't have to get the latest.

Your other arguments though about fuel cost, insurance cost, and depreciation though are yours alone.

and this : "buy a loaded GT with the money you save from the Bullitt package and you will still have a great car with a lot of options for a lot less money." is not correct. I've priced it. The '08 Bullitt beats a loaded Premium GT and on more than just price alone.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I debated getting a new mustang last year..decided to buy by 01 in march/07..took the rest of the cash I had saved and paid off my house mortgage.....with the money I saved on my mortage payments over the next 6 years I will be able to buy an 08 Bullitt.Its like getting an 08 Bullitt for free...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
chrisW said:
I debated getting a new mustang last year..decided to buy by 01 in march/07..took the rest of the cash I had saved and paid off my house mortgage.....with the money I saved on my mortage payments over the next 6 years I will be able to buy an 08 Bullitt.Its like getting an 08 Bullitt for free...
Now you're talking

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke to my dealers sales manager yesterday.

He called me to ask me to come in and trade cars for the new Bullitt I wrote about in my prior post. He really touched a nerve with me becuse he broke a promise he made to me when I ordered the car. When I ordered the car I was told that I could negoiate the price from invoice up. Yesterday he said "your price is already set" he was refering to sticker. This is not the agreement I had with him when I ordered the car. I am so sick and tired of car dealers with selective memory. I have a friend who says that all car dealers have a little bit of "larceny" in them. I can not disagree. My fault is that I like to buy a new car often and this make me a moving target. I am ready to stop trading and find another hobby. I will never lose my love of Mustangs but I did call my sales rep and tell him to count me out as a buyer of this Bullitt. As far as this Bullitt goes, it is not the car I ordered. Mine should be in within two weeks give or take. I will take another look one more time if the dealer contacts me when my special order comes in. The only difference in the car they have on the lot now and my order is that my order has the Sirius Radio and the car in dealer stock does not have this option. I would not be surprised if I don't even get a phone call when my order comes in. The dealer now says he is getting sticker plus ten percent. At the time of my order in November I was told to expect a substancial discount off of sticker. This particular dealership opened in 1999 and I have bought over ten new Fords there since. I still get treated like I am stupid. I do know that invoice on the Bullitt he has in stock is $28522.00 and there is $1500.00 available in customer cash or a special APR.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts