Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m very upset, car only has 500 miles and now has the piston rattle, this is completely unacceptable, when you are just driving around normally you have to listen to this annoying rattle instead of the exhaust which is why I bought the car, pure bs Ford, my Boss 302 never made this noise, wish I had it back, love the Bullitt otherwise, don’t know what to do, ugh

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I hear you. Hopefully, the issue will go away or FORD will repair the fault under warranty. When I bought my 2001, the transmission had a grinding sound when the car was cold. After jumping through hoops changing fluids etc, I found out that FORD had a TSB (Technical Support Bulletin) on the issue. My FORD dealer wanted $1500 to repair the transmission. By reading many posts on IMBOC, I wrote Bill Ford and they covered half the cost. It finally cost me $750 to have the transmission rebuilt. This should have been a warranty issue! (BTW...….the car had 2000 miles on it when the issue got to the point where something needed repaired. Believe me, the car was never raced!!!!!

Hopefully, your problem will be covered by FORD warranty...…….if it gets to that point!

ARMY TC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is Ford has acknowledged this phenomena and says it’s just a characteristic of this motor and it does not effect the longevity of the engine, so they are claiming

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SSM 46173 – Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle- 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips.

This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore.

This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I partially agree with you Mark. However, when the engine warms up, a slight to moderate piston slap should quiet down as the piston swells and normalizes. If the persistent noise continues when the engine is at operating temperature, this is not normal and will cause cylinder scuffing and wear the slip coatings off the skirts of the pistons, eventually leading to excessive oil consumption and compression loss.

Part of the issue is that only one size of piston is specified for the engines and tool wear and machine tolerances can result in some engines with a perfect piston/cylinder match and others be sloppy. Add to that, the arc sprayed cylinder coatings, their finishing and honing, and I think that mass producing engines that consistently have excellent fit is a big challenge.

·
Car Whisperer
20,666 Posts
SSM 46173 – Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle- 3000 RPM.

doesn't the gt 350 have the flat plane voodoo motor? different design if so thus not sure the memo would apply to a regular coyote engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts

That's a forged piston trait. Your Boss 302 had forged pistons.

I believe Ford uses hypereutectic pistons, and not forged pistons, in the Gen 3 Coyote. Forged pistons have more clearance and are known to make noise until they warm up and "grow" to the correct specification. This doesn't happen with hypereutectic pistons.

You may want to dig for information on the Mustang6G website. You might be the first to report an engine problem with a Bullitt. Sorry for your bad luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Retroman1969 also has an issue with his engine. The "trait" that you're quoting is for the GT350 motor and is completely unrelated to this issue. Some 2018+ coyote motors have a "typewriter tick" that is mild and can be normal. There's also a TSB out for that. But a louder more pronounced sound is usually piston slap or cylinder wall scoring and should be looked at by a dealer. If it's truly so loud that you hear it over the exhaust, your car likely has a bad motor and will be replaced under warranty. The fact that it's happening so early makes me even more confident that's what you're experiencing. So far this is only the 2nd Bullitt with an engine issue this serious, so 2 out of over 4,000 so far seems pretty good. A few have the milder non-detrimental tick, but that's it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
"Quality is Job One"? For 50K, I would expect better, like 0 out of 4,000 so far. I just can't even fathom why there is any question about who should fix and pay for a problem like this, but unfortunately,the entire auto industry has a reputation for this sort of BS!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine has the rattle even when warm and did so the moment I drove it off the lot. Both GT's that I drove before buying the Bullitt also sounded the same. I've had 2 vehicles in the past 12 years that have had engines replaced under warranty (1 ford) and in both cases the process was long and slow. Piston issues are more widespread among a lot of manufacturers than one might think. Some just nature of the beast, others more problematic and progress over time and mileage. These things always seem to occur when manufacturers go to new higher tech cool trendy materials in bores and pistons. Remember the Chevy Vega aluminum 4-banger? Innovative, lightweight and complete junk.

For anyone that is concerned (includes me) take your car to dealer for oil changes, report the noise multiple times and have a tech listen to engine in your presence. Also, if you're friendly with the sales side of the dealer, asked used car manager to listen to noise and ask him/her point blank: "if I trade in this car like this will you give me full trade-in value?". They will likely say no if they hear the noise and find it problematic. At that point circle back to service dept.

Now I'm hopeful that this noise doesn't progress and that the engine doesn't wear or begin to consume oil and that there isn't a widespread issue. It's gonna be painful for all involved (including Ford and dealers) if 10's of thousands of engines have to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
A little off subject but related. Years ago, my father was going to purchase a work truck. His first new truck, ever. When at the dealership, he advised he wanted a truck with a long bed and manual trans. The salesman pointed to a line of about 30 truck. He told the salesman to "start it up". When the salesman asked which one, the said all of them. We went down the line and just listened to each of the engine running and narrowed it down to two trucks and finally chose one totally based upon the sound of the engine under the hood. When he went to pick up the truck, that was the first time he even noticed what the interior looked like.

Even, way back then, there was vast difference in how the engines were put together. I will guess it may be more critical today with the closer tolerances of the modern engine.

Most people (included me) will pay more attention to color, fit, finish, and options the taking to time to listen under the hood. After all, we have a warranty, provided the dealership/manufacturer is willing to honor it.

·
Administrator
6,153 Posts
Make sure it's not piston rattle but rather noise from another source. I have a rattling noise I hear under part throttle conditions between 2000-3000RPM, most noticeable in 2nd or 3rd gear when I am driving around town. This is NOT thought to be piston slap but a rattling noise cause by cam phaser system.

Take a look at this thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2k-rattle-tsb-coming-eventually.115849/

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
133 Posts
Make sure it's not piston rattle but rather noise from another source. I have a rattling noise I hear under part throttle conditions between 2000-3000RPM, most noticeable in 2nd or 3rd gear when I am driving around town. This is NOT thought to be piston slap but a rattling noise cause by cam phaser system.

Take a look at this thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2k-rattle-tsb-coming-eventually.115849/
Interesting but I have some doubt this is the noise I'm hearing as it doesn't sound like a half crankshaft speed noise. I think cam phasers would operate at same speed as camshafts?

·
Administrator
6,153 Posts
Interesting but I have some doubt this is the noise I'm hearing as it doesn't sound like a half crankshaft speed noise. I think cam phasers would operate at same speed as camshafts?

Where and when do you hear the noise? For about a year, people have been talking about the various noises and have divided them into 3 categories -

(1) injector noise that sounds like a tick from a BBQ igniter which is generally heard outside the car, especially with some surface to bounce the sound off of
(2) piston slap that sounds like rattling noise which goes away after warming up
(3) the part throttle rattling noise described in what I posted

People have had engines replaced in the case of (2) because of the cylinder scoring and sometimes in the case of (1). Ford declares (1) as a normal characteristic going back all the way to the first Coyote 5.0L released for model year 2011.

I cannot correlate the noise I hear to the action of the camshafts, only the throttle position and rev range. In the absence of other information from Ford, it seems to fit what I hear. I have had this noise from the time I drove it off the lot back in September, 2018. It hasn't increased in volume or frequency like the other 2 reported noises.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Nice differential diagnosis Tony. There is so much going on in these engines and they are much more "mechanical" sounding. My Honda V6, for instance, is very quiet, sounds like a sewing machine until you boot it, then it makes nice induction noises, don't even hear the exhaust.
The new Coyote's have 16 injectors, 8 snappy DI ones, multiple fuel pumps, cam phasers, timing chains with guides and sliders, valve train noises, oil pump action, pistons slipping and slapping, intake noise, exhaust music, accessory noises; like alternators, water pumps, AC clutches, Electric steering motors, fans, etc etc.
Old 4404 makes nice intake and exhaust noises, I've never listened to the sound system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts