Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
The new Coyote's have 16 injectors, 8 snappy DI ones, multiple fuel pumps, cam phasers, timing chains with guides and sliders, valve train noises, oil pump action, pistons slipping and slapping, intake noise, exhaust music, accessory noises; like alternators, water pumps, AC clutches, Electric steering motors, fans, etc etc.

And a partridge in a pear tree...

I have to say I was expecting something when I got the '19, but a couple of folks don't hear the same thing. And the Mustang GTs have the big engine cover to damp out sounds too. I would say that if it was a continuous noise, I would probably be irritated by it.

If the OP is truly experiencing piston slap, then it's definitely something to identified by the dealership.Thanks for sharing your expertise, Pat. It's much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Then there's solenoids, vacumn motors, relays, clutch and gear noises, wiper motors, washer pumps, Magneride switching mechanisms, Torsen squeaks, brake whooshing, and the loose nut behind the steering wheel.
Enjoy the ride, if it blows up, something was wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where and when do you hear the noise? For about a year, people have been talking about the various noises and have divided them into 3 categories -

(1) injector noise that sounds like a tick from a BBQ igniter which is generally heard outside the car, especially with some surface to bounce the sound off of
(2) piston slap that sounds like rattling noise which goes away after warming up
(3) the part throttle rattling noise described in what I posted

People have had engines replaced in the case of (2) because of the cylinder scoring and sometimes in the case of (1). Ford declares (1) as a normal characteristic going back all the way to the first Coyote 5.0L released for model year 2011.

I cannot correlate the noise I hear to the action of the camshafts, only the throttle position and rev range. In the absence of other information from Ford, it seems to fit what I hear. I have had this noise from the time I drove it off the lot back in September, 2018. It hasn't increased in volume or frequency like the other 2 reported noises.
Mine is as you have previously described. Louder when cold, reduced level of noise when warm but still present. Slow cruise in 2nd and 3rd gear between 1500 - 3000 RPM at light and/or steady throttle. It's very throttle sensitive and if you want to cause the engine make the noise you can.

Not stressing over this for now. Will keep an ear on it and deal with it over time if it progresses or engine shows any other signs of abnormal wear. Definitely not an injector sound or a "tick". It's a rattling sound.

Have noticed that turning up the radio volume eliminates it.

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
Mine is as you have previously described. Louder when cold, reduced level of noise when warm but still present. Slow cruise in 2nd and 3rd gear between 1500 - 3000 RPM at light and/or steady throttle. It's very throttle sensitive and if you want to cause the engine make the noise you can.

Not stressing over this for now. Will keep an ear on it and deal with it over time if it progresses or engine shows any other signs of abnormal wear. Definitely not an injector sound or a "tick". It's a rattling sound.

Have noticed that turning up the radio volume eliminates it.

Yes, the radio does take care of it :)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
#1..... Make sure you keep a Ford warranty just in case there are problems in the future. As long as you keep renewing them, you can keep them for a long time. Also, check out what the warranties cover. They now include "Key" coverage which can be used to get one new key per year. Ever priced one of these keys from Ford with programming? Almost pays for the extended warranty by itself.

MUST BE FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY. Not just something sold by a Ford dealership but actual Ford warranty. Most of these "fly by night" warranties are not worth the paper they are printed in. Avoid them!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hear certain noises as well but I have heard them on the last several I have owned so I have determined it is what it is until it breaks. Drive the hell out of it! That's what they are made for. :)

And at the end of the day, you can always get rid of it and move onto something else. Hope everything works out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine started at around 300 miles, and dealers refused to acknowledge it. Now it has fairly severe cylinder wall damage and the dealer that I bought it from is skirting me like a thief in the night. I’m getting noisy and unpleasant with everyone involved now, but I should have gotten more aggressive to begin with.
Demand a boroscope and keep an eye on oil consumption.
I hate to say, but from what you’re saying, you likely have the same problem, and it is common from what I’ve read over the past few months. AND you’re absolutely right, it’s unacceptable!
Don’t do what I did and try to reason it away or let the dealers dance you around. Get serious with them. You gave them a hell of a lot of money.
Best of luck with resolving your situation.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
My car hates the “slow cruise”. At 1500-3000 RPM, how the hell is anyone in 3rd gear? It would be shaking and rattling! At that RPM I am barely out of 1st gear?! I mean my God, rolling on the freeway I never and I mean never, really need to be out of 4th. Until mine does something really weird I will not worry about it. I see so many people babying their cars, it’s crazy. The cars are beasts! I’m not saying to flog them, but Jesus, warm them up and then wind them up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm convinced it is NOT piston rattle but the injectors, all good, that being said, I'm selling her, bought a bigger house and need to down size :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
In cases like this, a sound clip (or video) is absolutely needed, to be able to know what the OP is talking about. I'm convinced it's not piston slap, since if it was, it'd be MUCH worse when cold. Without hearing it, no idea what could be. Another VERY important detail is if the noise wasn't there before, which clearly indicates some kind of (changing) issue. My engine sounds really healthy cold or hot, fortunately... except a very annoying rattle that I immediately knew what it was because my truck developed it, and just fixed it by changing the PCV valve. Selling dealer (out of town) didn't have one, so I just ordered it along with a bunch of crap. It should be quiet after replacing it. Right now it makes the noises any such engine makes, and it's actually on the quiet side, so happy with that... but only 200+ miles on the clock now. No engine is going to be silent, and that's why I was curious to hear the OP's.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts