Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been debated but can someone tell me when is the first oil change recommended? Synthetic or traditional?

Regarding the CAI, what size is the intake components?

I have noticed that the lever on my Hurst short throw gets pretty warm and I am assuming it is heat absorbed from the tranny and perhaps the exhaust pipes. I do not have a trans temp gauge but thinking about putting one one. (I can't help it. I love the toys) Is there a place on the trans for a temp sensor?

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Mine....

First oil change 2000 miles

Second oil change 3000 miles

Then every 5000 miles.

Bullitt will only have 5w20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend in it

Number 2...Not sure

Number 3...If it has a fill hole and or drain hole you can put a temp gauge on it. I have a Hurst shifter also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as the oil change goes, it depends on where you live and how much you drive the car. I live in Kansas now, but prior to that, I lived in El Paso, TX. Believe me, in El Paso there is a lot more sand to get sucked into your intake. Also, if you drive the car alot or are hard on it when you drive it, then I would change the oil sooner as opposed to later. Just pull the dipstick out every 500 miles or so and see what the oil looks like. Synthetic oil is the way to go as well!!

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
My first oil change was at 3,000 and I am at about 7,000 now so I will be bringing it in soon. I plan to change it every 3-5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I only drive about 15-20 miles per day on average.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
1st oil change 1000
2nd oil change 2500
change oil after every 2500 miles

·
Registered
116 Posts
#1455 has 10650 miles on it and oil has been changed 3 times, synthetic.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
wmiles said:
I am sure this has been debated but can someone tell me when is the first oil change recommended? Synthetic or traditional?

I have noticed that the lever on my Hurst short throw gets pretty warm and I am assuming it is heat absorbed from the tranny and perhaps the exhaust pipes. I do not have a trans temp gauge but thinking about putting one one. (I can't help it. I love the toys) Is there a place on the trans for a temp sensor?
(1) Oil Change ??? Look in the Owners Manual, Ford built the Car.........
.....However if your looking for opinions ????
I did mine at 5,000 and went with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.

(2) Not necessary but if you want the (Extra-Safety) go Synthetic .........

(3) Completely a (Waste) of your Time & Money........ Honest !!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
49 Posts
wmiles said:

I only have 135 miles on #5159 which was bought in may 08 but was told from a retired nascar engine builder that go the route of change at 500 miles to clean the metal flashing out then 1500 miles then 3000 miles and after that every 3000 miles. The blend 5w-20 motorcraft is a great oil for this car. He also say todays engine don`t have at much flashing from the motor parts as good old days but will still get out the dirt in oil. Good luck and hope this helps you and other bullittheads.

·
Registered
930 Posts
500 miles then 1500 then every 3-5,000 miles or every 6 months whichever comes round first.
For the reasons already mentioned above...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am curious about the Hurst shifter heat. Do you have Hurst shift knob (white) or Bullitt stock knob? I live in AZ and the stock knob gets very warm. When you park it sucks up the heat. I have been considering replacing the shifter so I could replace the knob with a non-metal one. I am happy with the stock shifter so kinda crazy replace for just the knob but that seems like the only way to do it. If the Hurst knob gets as warm as the stock knob then no reason for me to do this.

·
Registered
495 Posts
First oil change at 7500 miles and every 7500 thereafter using the factory fill Motorcraft oil. My high output 1.8L turbo Audi only required conventional oil every 10,000 miles. I figure a V8 that isn't working that hard most of the time can make it 7500 miles.

I've never heard of anyone putting a transmission temperature gauge on a manual transmission. Generally unless you are doing some all out circle track racing or something similar, there is nothing to get excited about heat wise. That's one of the advantages of a manual.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rwartner said:
I am curious about the Hurst shifter heat. Do you have Hurst shift knob (white) or Bullitt stock knob? I live in AZ and the stock knob gets very warm. When you park it sucks up the heat. I have been considering replacing the shifter so I could replace the knob with a non-metal one. I am happy with the stock shifter so kinda crazy replace for just the knob but that seems like the only way to do it. If the Hurst knob gets as warm as the stock knob then no reason for me to do this.
You are 100% right. The stock knob get very very warm when the car sits in the heat. The Hurst knob does NOT get hot. I believe it is plastic. Now the chrome hurst lever does get warm but now the weather is starting to cool off, I should be able to tell if the lever is warm from mechanically induced heat or from solar. I love how precise the shifting is with the Hurst but I hate the noise it makes hitting first and third (2nd not so loud). Overall, if you have the extra bucks laying around for the install, go for the Hurst competition billet shifter for the mustang. I really think you will like it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arkady001 said:
500 miles then 1500 then every 3-5,000 miles or every 6 months whichever comes round first.
For the reasons already mentioned above...
I have got to agree with you guys regarding the first oil change at low mileage. It just seems to make sense that during the breakin period you would have extra metal junk floating around in the block however I know the factory tolerances are usually not very tight, but I am not a engine builder. I think I will play it safe and go with the first change at 500-1000 miles. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
61 Posts
wmiles said:
You are 100% right. The stock knob get very very warm when the car sits in the heat. The Hurst knob does NOT get hot. I believe it is plastic. Now the chrome hurst lever does get warm but now the weather is starting to cool off, I should be able to tell if the lever is warm from mechanically induced heat or from solar. I love how precise the shifting is with the Hurst but I hate the noise it makes hitting first and third (2nd not so loud). Overall, if you have the extra bucks laying around for the install, go for the Hurst competition billet shifter for the mustang. I really think you will like it.
My shift knob gets very warm sitting in the garage, what I mean is that I think it is mostly mechanically induced. When I park outdoors I use a sun shade and cover the knob with a towel. Heat finds its way to the coolest place. The billet knob is a heat transmission device. I like its looks and functionality but don't like wearing oven mitts.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
The stock knob does get hot. Try putting a sock on it. The knob. That you shift with. It helps. To keep it cool. The shifter knob I mean. Even if it's parked in the garage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sometimes my knob is cold. I expect a lot more cold knob issues in the next couple months.

In my motorcycles, which share the engine oil with the transmission, I change the oil every 8000 miles. Just like the manufacturer recommends. If you like buying extra oil because it makes you feel better I guess that is your choice. I have yet to have any type of engine failure or issue.

·
Registered
595 Posts
first oil change was at 1000 second was at 4000 next will be at 7000 after that I will go to 5000 between changes.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Sniffroe said:
The stock knob does get hot. Try putting a sock on it. The knob. That you shift with. It helps. To keep it cool. The shifter knob I mean. Even if it's parked in the garage.
I am very glad you described for us which knob you were talking about. I was confused for a while.:smile:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you want to really know the intervals that your engine will require using the same oil(Motorcraft SemiSyn 5-20 works very well!),Have your oil tested by blackstone labs.An oil analysis is the only real way to see how long the oil lasts under your specific driving conditions.
If that is an added expense you would like to avoid,First change at 700-1000 miles,Again at 3000.Then every 3000 miles will lead to a long happy life for your cars powerplant.
Long intervals sound nice but without an analysis to really see how much of the addative package is depleted,You are asking for trouble.:smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts