Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago a friend of mine had a roommate that would use this phrase frequently. I am almost positive that is the first place I ever heard it. It became more popular, but now it seems to have gotten out of hand. Example:

I eat lunch at one particular place several times a week. I heard one waitress use the phrase a few months ago and now I hear it at least 4 or 5 times every time I go in there.

It's hot out there.
I know, right?

The mac and cheese is a little cold today.
I know, right?

This plate looks a little dirty, someone already use it?
I know, right?

The toilet in the men's restroom is overflowing!
I know, right?

The building is on fire!
I know, right?

What is this? You know, but you are asking me if your answer is correct? Either you know or you don't know. But you don't need to ask me if you know. How would I know if you know?

I know it is simply a response, but it seems to be the answer you get when someone really doesn't give a ****, and is just acknowledging that they heard you. Even the response "I heard that" sounds better. It least it is not asking you a question about whether they heard it. Maybe we could combine it to "I heard that, right?" :D

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
In regard to your comments---I know, right? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Many phrases make no sense. Down here, it seems more popular to say "I know, huh?" I too hear this one and always ask immediately after: What was that? That usually buys me a very intimated, dumb look from the other person.

"Life's tough--tougher if you're stupid!" J. Wayne

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Guess those sayings have not made it here. Right, I know?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
to this day, my father still says "you bet" occasionally, and we only stayed in redneckvilletown (a.k.a. northern arkansas) for about three weeks before he transferred right out of there... i hate that phrase too...

shaun

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I am probably wrong about this, but am throwing it out here to see if anyone reading this knows if I am correct.

"You bet", is or maybe a contraction of a saying from an old kids TV western, Red Rider. I think Robert Blake was the kid on the show. And when acknowledging whatever Red Rider would say, the kid would say,"You Betchum' Red Rider"...

Any one old enough to know for sure about this? The you bet saying was very popular about the time this short lived series was popular.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
01GTB said:
A few years ago a friend of mine had a roommate that would use this phrase frequently. I am almost positive that is the first place I ever heard it. It became more popular, but now it seems to have gotten out of hand. Example:

I eat lunch at one particular place several times a week. I heard one waitress use the phrase a few months ago and now I hear it at least 4 or 5 times every time I go in there.

It's hot out there.
I know, right?

The mac and cheese is a little cold today.
I know, right?

This plate looks a little dirty, someone already use it?
I know, right?

The toilet in the men's restroom is overflowing!
I know, right?

The building is on fire!
I know, right?

What is this? You know, but you are asking me if your answer is correct? Either you know or you don't know. But you don't need to ask me if you know. How would I know if you know?

I know it is simply a response, but it seems to be the answer you get when someone really doesn't give a ****, and is just acknowledging that they heard you. Even the response "I heard that" sounds better. It least it is not asking you a question about whether they heard it. Maybe we could combine it to "I heard that, right?" :D
You sound like me! :lol: I can barely tolerate being around the public anymore.

Around here it's:
"It's hot outside."
"Really, right?" Arrrggghhh!

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
I am probably wrong about this, but am throwing it out here to see if anyone reading this knows if I am correct.

"You bet", is or maybe a contraction of a saying from an old kids TV western, Red Rider. I think Robert Blake was the kid on the show. And when acknowledging whatever Red Rider would say, the kid would say,"You Betchum' Red Rider"...

Any one old enough to know for sure about this? The you bet saying was very popular about the time this short lived series was popular.

I am guessing you are right about this. Although I never saw the show, a guy I used to work with always said "You bet Red Rider". I would guess that is where he got it from. In Minnesota everybody says "you bet" don't cha know? If you have ever seen the movie Fargo, in some cases, it is almost that bad around here, bunch of hicks!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The correct phrase is "I know, eh?" :wink:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
try living with 4 sorority girls. makes me want to jump in front of a bus.

them: "um, like, yes, like."
me: wtf did you just say?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Or "You Know what I'm saying" after every sentence spoken.....
I respond, "No I don't, please explain"...... With this dumb look on my face.... Runs off the moooroon just about every time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts