Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bullitt Was Hit And Now My Insuranc Eis Going To Repair It! I Took It To The Ford Dealer And Its Been Stripped For Final Estimate. They Want To Use After Market Parts! I Disagree!!!!!!!!! They Are Not Equal In Quality And Reduce The Value And Integrity Of My Bullitt. What Can I Do Is There Any Way Around This????????

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
When I lived in Socal, I had to replace my front bumper, and repair the front tip of the hood. I had an outfit in Garden Grove do the work and they were exceptional! Nobody could tell it had been repainted they did such a good job color matching. He painted the entire front end up to the doors. I can get you the info if you are interested, as I am not sure which area of LA you live in.

·
Registered
651 Posts
4.6SHOOTER said:
My Bullitt Was Hit And Now My Insuranc Eis Going To Repair It! I Took It To The Ford Dealer And Its Been Stripped For Final Estimate. They Want To Use After Market Parts! I Disagree!!!!!!!!! They Are Not Equal In Quality And Reduce The Value And Integrity Of My Bullitt. What Can I Do Is There Any Way Around This????????

You should verify this with your state insurance commissioner, but it's my understanding that neither the repair center or the insurance company can require you to use only aftermarket parts, by law in California. They are also required by law to disclose the potential use of such parts prior to the repair.

The only real value in the use of non-OEM parts is the cost savings that the insurance companies realize, which they (theoretically) pass on to you, the customer, by way of reduced premiums. So, you see, they're really only doing what's best for you. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Might want to read this Ray.

Here is your current law regarding this in CA.

Under California Code of Regulations, Title 10, Chapter 5, Section 2695.8

(g) No insurer shall require the use of non-original equipment manufacture replacement crash
parts in the repair of an automobile unless:
(1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in
terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;
(2) insurers specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer
replacement crash parts shall pay the cost of any modifications to the parts which
may become necessary to effect the repair; and,
(3) insurers specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacture
replacement crash parts warrant that such parts are of like kind, quality, safety,
fit, and performance as original equipment manufacturer replacement crash
parts; and,
(4) all original and non-original manufacture replacement crash parts,
manufactured after the effective date of this subchapter, when supplied by repair
shops shall carry sufficient permanent, non-removable identification so as to
identify the manufacturer. Such identification shall be accessible to the greatest
extent possible after installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts