Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, without dragging this out the past few weeks have been tough car wise for me. My always-reliable F250 has an electrical problem that the shop can't seem to fix. The turbo on my wife's Taurus has an oil leak and can't get into the shop for a couple more weeks. My pride and joy GT350 clone dropped a valve at a gentle cruise speed, destroying a new engine with about 200 miles on it and the rear end in my '01 Bullitt killed a set of rear end gears, costing me three weeks in the shop and almost $1300. To say I was fed up is an understatement. All these cars have been the picture of reliability and all happened within three weeks of each other. I got the Bullitt back last week and it's my daily driver. I live in Grants Pass, Oregon but my job is in Beaverton, roughly 4 hours away. I drive up at the beginning of the week and drive home after a half day on Fridays. The car was in excellent shape when I bought it last November and only needed a little paint TLC and cleaning, plus replacing some parts like the headlights, gas cap, shifter knob and some small stuff to make it look great. It's not perfect, but I'm picky and keep it waxed and detailed at all times. Today I was driving to work and stopped for gas about halfway since I didn't fill the car up. The gas station attendant was very complimentary and told me it was the cleanest Mustang he'd seen in a long time. My head swelled. When I came out of the store with a breakfast of Monster and a Butterfinger, I couldn't help but admire my car, the True Blue paint looked great in the sun. I'm genuinely proud of this thing, even though it's all stock and not exactly flashy to most people. Anyway, driving north, my wife called and I talked to her for a bit (hands free phone for all the safety-minded out there) and then noticed that a new Corvette was coming up fast behind me. I was in the right hand lane, rolling along about 80 mph, and he came up about 5 mph faster, but slowed when he got next to me. I looked over and he pointed at my car and gave me a thumbs up, then passed by. I nearly fell out of the car in shock. His car cost about 10x what mine did, was 20 years old and he appreciated it enough to let me know. It's little stuff like those things that make my Bullitt a keeper. It's the people that might not know what they're looking at as far as model, but they know it's somehow a bit different and it's cared for and loved. Anyway, I wanted to share that and hopefully you guys have similar stories, I for one would love to hear them.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Rarely does a week go by when someone will flash a 'thumbs up' or whisper reverentially to me, "Is that a Bullitt?" as if it's a magical car. Little do they know it's just a basic GT that's been de-contented, painted DHG, and had a couple extra ponies added. Still, it's a special car and nice to be recognized.
Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts