Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Newbie here. Went down to the local Ford store last week to get the wife a new car. Her 01 Benz CLK 430 Cab, which she loved, has recently dropped out of warranty, and with 70K on the clock, the potential cost of repairs was making us nervous. She liked the look of the Mustangs ever since the new body style, and was agreeable to checking some out. We are kind of car/bike aholics, and tend to switch up vehicles often. I have had a C5 Vette, and she has had a Z3 BMW, a couple CLK Cabs, an E 500, and a turbo Eclipse AWD. I also am certified Hayabusa nut, having owned both an 01 and 03 model. She likes euro stuff, but I'm a domestic fan, so I was glad she wanted to take a look at a Ford. Anyway..we ended up bringing home Black 08 #2642.

So, after all that long winded fluff, here is my question: This is my first Mustang. I am a huge McQueen fan, and appreciate the significance of the Bullitt package. She, however, doesn't see it that way. She really wants me to add the GT hood scoop and the rear spoiler from the Shelby GT350 body kit.

It's her car, a daily driver, and we all know that it is important to keep Momma happy in the interest of domestic harmony.....but would these adds on a Bullitt be wrong? I don't have any visions of "collectability" affecting the value of this rig down the road, and we rarely keep a car more than a couple of years. (However my 10 year old is lobbying hard to keep this one until he turns 16!!)

So..I ask for opinions....what do you all think?

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
welcome to the site and IMBOC and you 2 made a great choice
mamma will be very happy as time goes on , getting use to her bullitt and personalizing... I had an 07 balck/ silver stripes shelby gt ( not a gt500 ) and personally liked the hood scoop and stripes.....i was not aware of a rear spoiler on the shleby gt (350 ) but the GT500 rear spoiler looks great

on my 08 bullitt it is 100% stock and I plan to keep her that way.... really its jsut a matter of personal preference and choice... i say go for it :)

if you would like a complete authentic shelby gt set of silver stripes to go along with your mods ( brand new ) let me know......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Congrats. & welcome to IMBOC.
You will get many different responses to your question here. The one thing to remember is.....it’s your car you can do whatever you like with it / to it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If the woman likes cars, you better thank your lucky @ss. And not do a darn thing to stand in the way of it. Encourage it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jymontoya said:
If the woman likes cars, you better thank your lucky ass. And not do a damn thing to stand in the way of it. Encourage it.

Agrred...doing so has served me well. If she gets to drive what she wants, I get little resistance when the time comes to upgrade MY toys.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Do what mods you so desire, it is up to the owner to mod or not, I say go for it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
If she liked the look of the SHELBY GT, that's what you should have bought.
BULLITTs should look like BULLITTs. Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I think you have made a good choice. IMHO (note his is my opinion only) I think the Bullitt is a better choice then the Shelby GT (not the GT500). The Bullitt rides better as the suspension is not as aggresive as the Shelby and the seats make it feel even better. It has about the same HP as a Shelby GT (315 vs 318 ) and with the dual tune of the Bullitt you can run 87 octane when we have those fuel shortages. As far as Mods, if you have a place to store them, I would suggest replacing the hood with any scoop of your choice (I love the looks of the shaker hoods), replace the truck deck with any spoiler you desire. Add any stripes, etc you want and with the orginial hood, trunk, etc stored back, it will be easy to make it look stock appearing if you (or she) ever wants it to look stock again. ---Kind of like having two cars in one. --- :)

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Hi and welcome to IMBOC. The Highland Green owners tend to say "keep it stock", while the Black owners tend to make more extensive exterior mods (don't worry, I won't say a Black Bullitt is not a real Bullitt anyway :wink:). Maybe Mark will finally get rid of those silver stripes. :lol: The guy who sold me my Bullitt has a black Shelby GT with silver stripes, and it looks sharp.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Black is Beautiful!!!!!!

Welcome to the Site! :b01:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seriously I dont know I would agree with JackDW-852 do the mods but keep all the original parts for re-sale if you are in and out a cars like you say you are in 2 to 3 years when you want to sell it someone might want to keep all the mods or a die hard might want to bring it back to original.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
BB2008 said:
Hi and welcome to IMBOC. The Highland Green owners tend to say "keep it stock", while the Black owners tend to make more extensive exterior mods (don't worry, I won't say a Black Bullitt is not a real Bullitt anyway :wink:). Maybe Mark will finally get rid of those silver stripes. :lol: The guy who sold me my Bullitt has a black Shelby GT with silver stripes, and it looks sharp.

you have no idea how tempted I was to put them on dhg2497 along with the shelby scoop and front fender emblems ''powered by ford'' BUT ..... i prefer the stealth of the bullitt.

and you are so correct about the black with silver looking absolutely sharp, I can't tell you how many times I was stopped or talked with by just about anyone and everyone.... and for those of yyou who know just how social / freindly I am in person , you know just how thrilled I was by all of that attention...lol ( bah )

·
Registered
946 Posts
I say have her do what she wants with it....but first please have her spend a month/two months with it stock....have her keep track how many mustangs she sees on the road....and how many are Bullitts.....lots of other styles of Stangs....very few Bullitts on the road. I love the fact that the Bullitt is so unique and the looks you get in it....its awesome. Welcome to the site....let her read some of these responses....and enjoy your BULLITT!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a feeling she caught a glimpse of the NightRider Shelby.....

Actually, I think it might look pretty good with scoop painted gloss black over the top of the stripes....

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's you car, do whatever you like.
However, on this board you will find that most like to leave the Bullitt as close to stock appearance as possible...
I even went so far as to remove the deep dish wheels that were on 1074 when I bought it, and replaced them with the OEM size (17x8) wheels, get it back to the way it started out from the factory...
Now as far as under the hood, that's a hole nuther story...
Just make it your's and enjoy it.
:smile:
David...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
going with mods that are removalbe is always a good first step, then let them grow on you while she decides if the car, as IT grows on HER, is still one she wants to mod...

shaun

·
Registered
249 Posts
IF mine was also black, I MIGHT be tempted to do some appearance modifications. But since it's green, 4428 will stay bone stock except for the window tinting and black chrome Gorilla lug nuts I added.

I do have to agree with some of the other members in that the black Bullitts lend themselves to more modification without detracting from the spirit in which the Bullitt was intended.

I say, go ahead and mod your black Bullitt and enjoy the hell out of it!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
tbone65 said:
I have a feeling she caught a glimpse of the NightRider Shelby.....

Actually, I think it might look pretty good with scoop painted gloss black over the top of the stripes....

go for it then , can always change later if you dont like or want a different look...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts