Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I daily drive my bullitt I feel alot of movement in the shifts and a grinding feel in the tranny. If I replace the tranny down the road, which one do yall suggest. I don't know if I want a 6 speed or 5 speed. My long term goal for the car is about 450-500 hp.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You can always keep the one you got and rebuild it. Thats what I did. Ford has updated parts for it and I gotta say that the three-piece carbon fiber synchros are awesome. We did the same thing to my girlfriends terminator.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
If I were to replace the Bullitt transmission I would go with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
6 speed is nice, but if you gonna put some real power into your B and really race it, then you gonna need to build it stronger anyway. That's what I learned on my girlfriend's six speed. Just throwing that in. The six speed is cool though. I mean five race gears is better than four.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice guys. i'm getting the tranny fluid replaced with royal purple. we will see after that.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Rebuilding a trans isn't something you can do in one afternoon unless you have all the tools, facilities, and know how.

My trans grinds from 1st to 2nd gear, and I know I really don't like the idea of having my car down for an extended period while I try and find the free time to rebuild it. Granted I do have a back up car, but I don't like having my stang down for any period of time.

So I'm just going to save up and get a TKO500 and completely upgrade everything.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I suggested the t-56 because it sounds like you are going to do heavy mods. My self I will stick with the 3650 my car is stock D&D has them for 999 reman. Unless they ever make a rebuild kit you can get everything in I will try to rebuild it myself. As of a few years ago they were just selling single parts and it was pricey cheaper to get the reman then do it your self.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Tell me though,if you have the proper rear end gear,for drag racing,like 3.73 or 4.10, why do you need 2 overdrive gears? The 6 spd is nice,but carries a weight penalty. If you cruise at 70-75 MPH on the crowded Interstate,5th gear,in a 5 speed is plenty.
If mine breaks,it will be sent off for a Super Duty rebuild,or a TKO-500 swap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts