Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, I did consider doing it. I went around to a couple of dealers looking at GT500's. They are a beautiful car to be sure.
The first dealer wouldn't allow me to test drive it, and I can understand that.
Instead they had the SVT tech. take me for a test ride.
This guy abused the car like I never would've!!!!
The guy could really drive. He put the pedal down and put it through the gears!
We were doing 130mph at one point.
I have to say I was really impressed with the power and handling of the car.

Then it was back to the dealer and now for the fun part....haggling over prices.
I'm in Canada, so bear in mind these prices are all based on Canadian prices for these cars.
The GT500 was $57,000. The list price on my Bullitt was $41,000.
The dealer offered to give me $33,000 for it. Which is a huge ripoff. The ONLY good part is I got my Bullitt for x plan and paid $35,900. SO based on THAT price what they offered me was pretty good. Oh, and I also got them to knock $1000 off of the GT500.
I told them I still had another dealer to check out.
So off I went to the next dealer.

This dealer let me test drive the GT500. It was a nice drive and I certainly didn't wind it up like the SVT tech. did!!!
But driving it myself didn't have the same thrill- probably because I didn't have my foot to the floor the whole time! LOL
It gave me pause to think about this car as a daily driver.
It sounded nothing like my Bullitt. The GT500 exhaust note is rather plain after you've been in a Bullitt. And while the GT500's 500HP will leave the Bullitt in the rear view mirror- the engine didn't sound as nice when you were just cruising around.

Anyway, it was back to the dealer for the fun part again.
The salesman was filling out the appraisal sheet. I said with a laugh to him- "Now this car has got paint protection, undercoating, leather protection and tinted windows. All these items I was told add resale value to the car. So I want to see a good offer from you."
Guess what they offered me?
$25,000!!! The car is 5 months old and they offered me $16,000 less than what the car listed for!!
The price on the GT500 was the same, EXCEPT they also added another $5000 ADM.
I looked at the guy and said the other dealer was offering a GT500 for $7000 less than you are and giving me $8000 MORE on my trade in.
He didn't know what to say. The he said- well this is just a starting point.
I said I don't have to time to haggle a difference of $15,000.

I left the dealership and realized my Bullitt is just an amazing value for the price!
Oh, and when I was test driving the GT500- I couldn't believe the way that thing was sucking back the gas!!! And you need to run 93 octane in it!
One funny thing that happened...I was driving along and thought I was seeing smoke coming from the rear. Now this car was brand new so sometimes things are just burning off. But it seemed odd. As I was getting back to the dealership I said to the salesman- the steering is getting really hard to turn. I pulled onto the lot and the wheel was almost locked up. I said that something is wrong. We popped the hood and the power steering fluid was leaking out, the resevoir was almost empty. He drove it right into service and as he pulled away a huge puddle of power steering fluid was sitting on the lot.

There really is no way the GT500 is worth the extra money when compared to the Bullitt. It's a nice car, but very overpriced.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't know if its overpriced, if you want those extra horses straight from the factory you gotta pay for it. But I will agree that you get alot of performance for the buck with the Bullitt. Also sounds like you and your bullitt were just meant to be together;)

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
This probably doesn't matter but ,what is the mpg difference?
I love the gt500

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wasn't going to comment but being uniquely qualified...

Well with over 1500 miles on the 2008 Bullitt and over 2500 miles on the 2008 GT500, I can tell you what I get.

The Bullitt has gotten a best easy highway mileage of 27.7 miles per gallon and averages 18-20 miles per gallon around town.

The GT500 has gotten a best easy highway mileage of 21.5 miles per gallon and averages 15-16 miles per gallon around town.

These are not overly easy miles around town for either Mustang; it is not easy to keep your foot out of either of them.

As to the worth of the GT500, I would buy a second one if I could afford it.

The GT500 is the most powerful factory built Mustang ever. I have driven both of them hard, four-wheel drift hard, and there is quite a difference.

The 2008 Bullitt is an OUTSTANDING Mustang one of the best ever built by Ford. For $31,000 it is one hell of a bargain.

That in no way diminishes the incredible Mustang and bargain that the GT500 is. The next factory 500 horsepower car starts at twice the price. You really have to drive it and drive it hard to see what an absolutely outstanding car the GT500 is.

If I had to choose between the two, as hard as the Bullitt would make that choice, the GT500 would win hands down.

Besides it’s hard to imagine not being a member of the factory 500 horsepower club anymore after waiting most of my life to get there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's called the "Bang for the Buck" factor! Are the extra dollars worth whatever the GT500 has to offer beyond what you get in the Bullitt for it's price? You must weigh the $$$ vs. the glitz & additional horsepower you get for that extra cost. Around here (Northern NJ) a GT500 is priced at $49,000 USD + $10,000 so-called "market adjustment" price + 7% tax. My Bullitt's total out-the-door price was about $32,000. Naturally it's a matter of opinion of course, but I think for $31,000 less, the Bullitt has more "bang for the buck." Don't get me wrong though- I still love the GT500!! :)

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Most of us on this board are Bullitt drivers. We drive them because we like them, and prefer them to the other options. If we didn't have one, or have had one, or wish we could have one, or wish we could get another since we let the first Bullitt go, we wouldn't be here. We'd be checking out the SUV sites, or the Shelby sites...

Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It all depends on what you are after.The Bullitt is a deal for what you get.My only problem was I wanted to really hook it up in the power department and that meant some serious coin!To get near the power levels I was going to shoot for required a forged bottom end and that is expensive.My Bullitt was $32,000+supercharger,Add about $7,000.Forged bottom end,Add about $4,000.That's around $43,000 not including associated mods.My Gt500 was $44,000.Now if you don't add the trade in hit it starts to make sense.Straight up fun for the buck the Bullitt is the winner.The GT500 is a completely different animal.Gas mileage fo me has been a max of 22mpg combined with very light city driving on the GT500,The Bullitt under the same conditions would get about 25 or so.But if you lean on the Bullitt it doesn't drop nearly as fast as the GT500 does.There is a large difference in mileage if you get into the boost at all.Honest opinion is if you can live with not a whole lot of power adders,The Bullitt will give you some serious fun for the money.Both are a lot of fun to drive though!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not trying to knock the GT500. I think it's the king of the mustangs. And I would love to own one.
My opinion is based heavily upon the "deal" the dealers were offering me.
I would've been taking a pretty big hit to try and move up to the GT500.
Plus I just can't see driving the GT500 in the winter- so that means storing it away and buying a beater car for the winter time.
And one other factor- all the GT500's had the Shaker 1000. The sub-woofer in the trunk is the size of a big tool box- I've got goalie equipment that I have to put in the trunk. I can get it all to fit in my Bullitt, but I could never squeeze it into the GT500 trunk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
'The eyes of man are never satisfied'--but, they should be! The Bullitt is the best balanced Mustang in all categories-power,looks,handling-you name it. I've owned a lot of fast cars vettes, mopars, Fords. Once you've jammed the throttle to the floor a few times, it's all the same. The truth is, ~300 hp in ~3000 lb car is more than adequate USABLE power. Yeah, it can be a thrill to feel the g force when you launch a 450 hp machine, but do that more than a few times (actually, you can do it ONCE and get nailed)on the street and you wont have a license. You want to drive rubbernecking all the time, fearing a laser dot is on? Go ahead. Be happy -- the Bullitt is IT!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both are great cars. i was very impressed test driving a basic automatic GT500. The dealer would let it go for $25k They also had several roush equipped GT500, which are much faster. Fast isnt my thing anyway, class & style set the Bullitt apart from anything on the road. Its grand touring to me, in style.

i agree about bang for the buck, my Bullitt was only $1500 more than the premium GT500 they had. a stocker or a instant classic? i couldnt let go of the Bullitt steering wheel.

got 27mpg on a evening cruise to Lake Chelan at 60mph. my challenge to me is to get 30 mpg.

i can get a custom license plate, "BULLITT" for $75 per year. What you think?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
cannonball said:
Both are great cars. i was very impressed test driving a basic automatic GT500. The dealer would let it go for $25k They also had several roush equipped GT500, which are much faster. Fast isnt my thing anyway, class & style set the Bullitt apart from anything on the road. Its grand touring to me, in style.

i agree about bang for the buck, my Bullitt was only $1500 more than the premium GT500 they had. a stocker or a instant classic? i couldnt let go of the Bullitt steering wheel.

got 27mpg on a evening cruise to Lake Chelan at 60mph. my challenge to me is to get 30 mpg.

"Grand touring"... yes... plus an exhaust note and Steve McQueen connection not available on any other Mustang (except the '01 Bullitts). The McQueen connection makes this an apples and oranges comparison for me. Plus, for some, spending about $30K is all we can afford.

I'd love to drive a GT500 some day just to feel what having all that power is like, but there will always only be on Bullitt! :) :) :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Get the plate!

cannonball said:
My opinion... YES! :)

Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
cannonball said:
Both are great cars. i was very impressed test driving a basic automatic GT500. The dealer would let it go for $25k They also had several roush equipped GT500, which are much faster.
This thread is about the Shelby GT500.
I don't understand what you are talking about? :confused:
I had a 2008 Shelby GT500, before I bought my Bullitt.
I ended up trading the GT500, for an F150 FX2 Sport truck, because I preferred driving the Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
walc said:
This thread is about the Shelby GT500.
I don't understand what you are talking about? :confused:
I had a 2008 Shelby GT500, before I bought my Bullitt.
I ended up trading the GT500, for an F150 FX2 Sport truck, because I preferred driving the Bullitt.
EXACTLY! What is all the GT500 hub-bub about? I have driven one.

Straight line accelleration ... yes.

Did it feel big, heavy and drive like a tank (compared to the Bullitt) ... YES,YES,YES!! It weighs 700 pounds more than a 01 Bullitt .... and feels it.

Tradin' in GT500 for a Bullitt ... that makes sense to me.

Just one man's view,
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I can only tell the difference in my two mustangs 07 Mustang GT vs 08 Bullitt. The Bullitt is a refined Mustang GT. Very Balanced.
I would put the hammer down on my 07 and it would have the tendency to go sideways. The Bullitt always goes straight.
Not very many people notice my Bullitt on the street , but when I am on the Hwy that car commands attention!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I looked at the GT500 before the Bullitt and for me I could not justify the cost difference. Sure the GT500 is a faster more powerful car. But I would use 200hp 80% of the time 200-300HP 19.5% of the time and 300-450HP 0.5% of the time. All that power for that little amount of time using it just could not be justified. With the Bullitt I will only miss it 0.5% of the time and to be honest that might save my life. And I don't have to worry about the all that power when the road conditions are not ideal.
Having said all of that if anyone wants to swap even there equal condition GT500 for 2413 lets talk.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Jester67 said:
I looked at the GT500 before the Bullitt and for me I could not justify the cost difference. Sure the GT500 is a faster more powerful car. But I would use 200hp 80% of the time 200-300HP 19.5% of the time and 300-450HP 0.5% of the time. All that power for that little amount of time using it just could not be justified. With the Bullitt I will only miss it 0.5% of the time and to be honest that might save my life. And I don't have to worry about the all that power when the road conditions are not ideal.
Having said all of that if anyone wants to swap even there equal condition GT500 for 2413 lets talk.
WOW:shock:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I see it like this.
All I want to do is sit in a Shelby 500 seat and go for a drive!
The Bullitt has Shelby 500 seats Plus steering wheel for thousands less.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.