1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
^^^no^^ read your owners manual about what fuel to use

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
What he said^^^. And I believe if you read all of the archieves tabbed above in the header you will learn allot about your Bullitt. It's a true performance car built to survive when it's treated like a sedan... :lol:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I still use 89-91 octane. Really I just like it because it has more detergents in it, more or less a mental thing, and idle is right around 800.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
WHAT IF I PREFER TO USE GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE RATINGS?

You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. When you use a fuel with a higher octane rating than your vehicle requires, you can send this unburned fuel into the emissions system. It can also collect in the catalytic converter. When you over stress any system, it can malfunction or not do what it was designed to do properly. In the early 90's, an early warning symptom was a rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Easy fix, go back to using regular 87 octane gasoline. The rude odor usually disappears after several tanks of gasoline.

DOESN'T HIGHER OCTANE GASOLINE HAVE MORE CLEANING ADDITIVES THAT ARE GOOD FOR MY ENGINE?

No. Government regulations require that all gasoline contain basically the same amount of additives to clean the injectors and valves. The only differences are the type to help create the different octane ratings. All gasoline burns at the same rate, it is the additives that create the different octane ratings for the different types of engines.

http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just make sure that you don't use any lower grade fuel than 87 octane. Some places in higher altitudes go down to 85 octane. In wich case you should use the middle grade wich turns to 88 octane. It's weird... they say that you don't have to have as high of octane in high altitudes because the air is thinner so it burns differently. But I don't buy it. I'd rather be safe than sorry than to use a lesser octane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts