Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this at BON but thought some of you no longer go there. Thanks 1Nasty for your comments
none of this is overwhelming news. some is common sense, some just reinforces what has already been said(i think Mus408), and some will be personal preference on your part.
there were a couple of very experienced(35 years racing), and very nice racers from the Detroit metro area here in St. Louis over the weekend for the Ford World Challenge 4. They have some very strong ties to Ford Racing and Andy Swartz(sp?) with Ford. These guys all knew more about my Bullitt than i ever will!
1st,..these racers use the same shop to dyno their engines that Ford used when developing the Bullitt. our cars are capable of quite a bit more HP than they currently put out BUT Ford HAD to make some adjustments to meet emissions and to meet fuel mileage/CAFE requirements. It's all about air, fuel, exhaust "restrictions" i was told.
2nd,... our intake/runners were developed by Ford Racing. one of the racers had our EXACT same intake set-up on his 4.6 2V drag racer 2 summers ago directly from Ford Racing( he showed me pictures, only difference was top of intake had some "fins") he is now currently running intake/runners, injection, & heads from the FR500 on his 4.6 4V Cobra. all his engines are naturally aspirated. Andy Swartz says that at this time Ford & Ford Racing remain VERY much committed to the 4.6 / Modular engines and will continue to let their developements (ie: FR500 and other projects) "trickle down" to racers, then other end users, enthusiast's parts, and specialty vehicles like us and our cars!
suggestions that the racers gave me:
1. Do NOT trick out or over modify your Bullitt. They are VERY good vehicles(as Fords go) that will hold their value well!! (obviously, this is personel preference)
2. For mods....try to limit to the following:
a.) lower gearing in rear end
b.) cold air induction ( Ford has restricted some air flow)
c.) after engine is FULLY broken in (he suggested 4 to 5 thousand miles) take the ENTIRE intake assembly and get rid of all interior restriction. Any baffles, ridges, ETC and get a QUALITY shop to completely extrude and hone to a VERY smooth finish/surface on the inside! i was told that we will be VERY pleased with the results when we do this.
d.) if you do get a chip, do NOT get an "off the shelf" chip. Find a quality computer guy/race shop and have a chip burned for EACH INDIVIDUAL vehicle. i'm told it really does make a difference. many of the racers consider Paul Svinicki @ Paul's High Performance one of the best in the country for chips. # 517-764-7661. (think his site is http://www.paulshp.com)
whatever you decide, just wanted to share this with you guys( and Vickie-LOL)!! thanks for all the comments and thoughts the last 2 months

ps: was also told that people inside of Ford and Ford Racing really believe that the Bullitt is a VERY strong and special vehicle. more so than we think they do!!
i know every time i drive it,... i love it more

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-05-22 16:18 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-11-21 10:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks mystang,Some good info for the future.:smile:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know, we've had a lot of new members since i posted this back in May and there has been a huge interest in getting the most out of our Bullitts. Karl seemed to feel that this post was relevant again so i'm "bumping" it back into the chat area for the newewr members!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks, again, Mystang. I read this a while back and was pleased to learn of Ford's goals. I like knowing that my Bullitt is underrated. If I ever want to push it to the max, your suggestions make a lot of sense.

For now, I'm content to drive a stocker. For my everyday driving interests, the Bullitt is a smooth and powerful pleasure to jog around with.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
well Marty come spring we should all go up there and have it done(the chip from pauls high performance). Mapquest said it is only an 8 hour drive.(500 miles) and we could stop over in the windy city for lunch. Sounds like a cruise waiting to happen!! I bought mine to drive, so maybe next year in the spring....

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ROAD TRIP!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Karl,
ouch ouch ouch ouch!!
it was almost like we didn't show up to play last night....i was embarassed

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-27 14:26, mystang99 wrote:
Karl,
ouch ouch ouch ouch!!
it was almost like we didn't show up to play last night....i was embarassed

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but Curt Warner was playing hurt and was out of sync.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts